2014 Starting Roster vs. FL Atlantic based on the Gator Bowl two-deep

knapplc

Why did he ask to RS then? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the talent ahead of him. Just a thought. Not saying it's impossible for Taylor to improve in the off-season and challenge for the backup spot, but, given the amount of reps Cross has had in his two seasons here, he is significantly ahead of a RB who hasn't played a down for Nebraska.

He asked for a RS so he could work on himself and become the best RB he could be. Had nothing to do with the talent ahead of him. He wanted to work on his lower body strength and conditioning.

He has a total of 140 carries throughout his career. This year, he has 85. 54 of those coming in conference play, giving him an average of less than 5 carries per game. He has more on the field experience, but its not a lot IMO.

IF AA goes pro, the RB position is wide open IMO. Neither Newby nor Cross did enough, IMO, in their limited touches to be a clear favorite going into next year. I really never watched either one and said "wow" this year.

100% in agreement here. This year showed a lot of what Cross lacks. My biggest thing that I can't stand about Cross, is his lack of field vision.

Newby just didn't get enough carries to doubt his abilities, but when he was given the chance to shine, he fell on his face with ball security issues.

Why did he ask to RS then? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the talent ahead of him. Just a thought. Not saying it's impossible for Taylor to improve in the off-season and challenge for the backup spot, but, given the amount of reps Cross has had in his two seasons here, he is significantly ahead of a RB who hasn't played a down for Nebraska.

I think AT knows he can be an every-down back. He would have got very limited carries this year with Ameer still here. Save that year of eligibility, become THE every-down back after Ameer leaves, and have three years of eligibility instead of only two.

I think AT knows he can be an every-down back. He would have got very limited carries this year with Ameer still here. Save that year of eligibility, become THE every-down back after Ameer leaves, and have three years of eligibility instead of only two.

Even with Ameer here next year, nothing eye opening was shown behind Ameer and Taylor has a GREAT chance in becoming that backup. Of course, all of this is talk and we will only see come next season!

IF AA goes pro, the RB position is wide open IMO. Neither Newby nor Cross did enough, IMO, in their limited touches to be a clear favorite going into next year. I really never watched either one and said "wow" this year.

100% in agreement here. This year showed a lot of what Cross lacks. My biggest thing that I can't stand about Cross, is his lack of field vision.

Newby just didn't get enough carries to doubt his abilities, but when he was given the chance to shine, he fell on his face with ball security issues.

Still really wish that Cross could become "that guy". To date, not enough speed to be a home run threat, but would love it if he ran "angry". He is a hoss. Not as fast as Gurley, but if he ran with authority, he could be very good at getting tough yards and possibly breaking some and would be scary for a DB to get in the open field. Seems to run "slower" than he is and slightly timid for such a solid guy. Again, he could be a guy that we could really use in the later stages of the game to really lean on and pound the DL. Can't remember the last time NU had a big effective back. Still hoping Cross becomes that guy. Seems like we have speedy, shifty, quick etc, but not that bruiser.

Also, as evidenced by RB's in the past under Bo and Beck, pass pro and blocking is huge. IMO, they would go with the better blocker over the better back. (close in abilities)

He asked for a RS so he could work on himself and become the best RB he could be. Had nothing to do with the talent ahead of him. He wanted to work on his lower body strength and conditioning.

He has a total of 140 carries throughout his career. This year, he has 85. 54 of those coming in conference play, giving him an average of less than 5 carries per game. He has more on the field experience, but its not a lot IMO.

He's two years ahead of AT. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe he redshirted simply to get better. That it had nothing to do with the fact that he wouldn't play ahead of Imani or Terrell. I just don't buy it. I'm not saying he's a bad player or will never get better, I'm just saying that Imani has the leg up on the backup spot having been in the program for two seasons and having contributed in both of those seasons.

Still really wish that Cross could become "that guy". To date, not enough speed to be a home run threat, but would love it if he ran "angry". He is a hoss. Not as fast as Gurley, but if he ran with authority, he could be very good at getting tough yards and possibly breaking some and would be scary for a DB to get in the open field. Seems to run "slower" than he is and slightly timid for such a solid guy. Again, he could be a guy that we could really use in the later stages of the game to really lean on and pound the DL. Can't remember the last time NU had a big effective back. Still hoping Cross becomes that guy. Seems like we have speedy, shifty, quick etc, but not that bruiser.

Also, as evidenced by RB's in the past under Bo and Beck, pass pro and blocking is huge. IMO, they would go with the better blocker over the better back. (close in abilities)

I was one who thought Cross would be that #2 back who would get a lot of carries this year. I hope and wish that any/every player can be that guy on our roster, but he just isn't living up to the hype. Guy is a WORKHORSE off the field, it just needs to flow on the field too. During this break, he needs to work on his mechanics. His footwork and learn to be patient and look for holes in the line are the two biggest things, in my opinion.

Taylor is a bruiser, and has some speed, so maybe he becomes that, as Brown described "Old school back" we have been waiting for?

He's two years ahead of AT. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe he redshirted simply to get better. That it had nothing to do with the fact that he wouldn't play ahead of Imani or Terrell. I just don't buy it. I'm not saying he's a bad player or will never get better, I'm just saying that Imani has the leg up on the backup spot having been in the program for two seasons and having contributed in both of those seasons.

I am not telling you to buy it, I am simply stating what Taylor said himself on why he RS'ed. I would completely agree that Imani has an upperhand on Taylor for having some on the field experience, but I highly doubt its going to put him that much further ahead of Taylor. Especially when the experienced Cross only had 31 more carries than our inexperienced True FS Newby. Had Newby held onto the ball more, he would have had just as many, if not more carries than Cross.

I'd like to see someone else beside Kenny at the KOR position. He's fast only if he breaks it out in the open. Past few games he's looked hesitant on what he wants to do allowing the kicking team to get downfield.

It honestly might have to do more with his groin injury. He didn't look to be close to 100% in that game. I would like to see someone back there who isn't on our 1st team offense. Newby, if he can hold onto the ball and Alonzo Moore mabye?

I think Adam Taylor is the most versatile of the three RB's behind Abdullah. I think one of the biggest reasons he redshirted was to get a year of rest for his knee, which he tore up in high school.

As far as other position discussions go, Benning thinks that Gerry will be moved back to safety, which is his more natural position. He doesn't have the size needed to play the run at any of the LB spots.

I'd like to see someone else beside Kenny at the KOR position. He's fast only if he breaks it out in the open. Past few games he's looked hesitant on what he wants to do allowing the kicking team to get downfield.

It honestly might have to do more with his groin injury. He didn't look to be close to 100% in that game. I would like to see someone back there who isn't on our 1st team offense. Newby, if he can hold onto the ball and Alonzo Moore mabye?

This is true. I forgot about his injury.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ameer stays and Imani leaves to get more playing time at another College. I think Adam Taylor will jump into the number two spot ahead of Newby, but that is just my guess. Larenzo Stewart could also be in the mix for playing time during Cross's senior season. I personally love Imani and hope he stays, but if not wish him luck at the next program.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ameer stays and Imani leaves to get more playing time at another College. I think Adam Taylor will jump into the number two spot ahead of Newby, but that is just my guess. Larenzo Stewart could also be in the mix for playing time during Cross's senior season. I personally love Imani and hope he stays, but if not wish him luck at the next program.

It has been discussed in other forums that Cross has stated he is not leaving. He loves it at NU.

That being said, Cross knew EXACTLY what the depth chart looked like when he came here and he still chose to be a part of this program. He could have gone somewhere else right from the beginning if he was that concerned about playing time.

• Fire 1

It has been discussed in other forums that Cross has stated he is not leaving. He loves it at NU.

That being said, Cross knew EXACTLY what the depth chart looked like when he came here and he still chose to be a part of this program. He could have gone somewhere else right from the beginning if he was that concerned about playing time.

Kids usually don't think about the depth in front of them when they look at colleges. They think that they can beat out any other player and that they won't be sitting much. That's why you see so many kids transfer after a year or two. These kids have been pampered and told how great they are for their whole life, and then when they have to face competition for playing time, they transfer as soon as they are beat out by someone better.