Why doesn't Nebraska hire a quarterback coach?

I have my own opinions on which staff members I would like to see let go, but that's not the point of my topic. If Bo likes everyone on his staff so be it. But it baffles me why we won't hire a real quarterbacks coach; someone to coach the most important position in football. I don't expect Pelini to be able to hire an NFL caliber QB coach; but it would be nice to get someone who knows what he's doing & see some quarterback development. I know Tim Beck is listed as QB Coach; IMO the quarterback development under him has been subpar. Taylor's improvement from So. to Jr. year was a result of him going to California & working with Steve Calhoun. I really think hiring a competent QB coach would be very good for the success of our football team

• Fire 3

I believe we are already at the max for full time assistant coaches and therefore would have to let someone go to do this. Typicallys guys go and work with someone in the off season anyways and there are many teams that dont have a QB coach. I am sure there is some Youngstown middle school headcoach that Bo was buddiies with back in the day that he would be more than willing to give a couple hundred grand to come in and be an assistant at one of the most winningest programs in college football history (that was a joke).

I get what you are saying about the QB coach, I have thought this before too and really would like Ganz to get that position but again I think we would have to get rid of someone to do so and i dont see any changes for next season.

• Fire 1
I have my own opinions on which staff members I would like to see let go, but that's not the point of my topic. If Bo likes everyone on his staff so be it. But it baffles me why we won't hire a real quarterbacks coach; someone to coach the most important position in football. I don't expect Pelini to be able to hire an NFL caliber QB coach; but it would be nice to get someone who knows what he's doing & see some quarterback development. I know Tim Beck is listed as QB Coach; IMO the quarterback development under him has been subpar. Taylor's improvement from So. to Jr. year was a result of him going to California & working with Steve Calhoun. I really think hiring a competent QB coach would be very good for the success of our football team

Plus 1 sir. Why the hell don't we hire one? I don't get it. The field general, the most important guy on the field, the QB, and we don't give him that extra key to build success. We should be doing everything we can at this point. I'm not sure if there are real legitimate reasons we don't do it? I know there are staff restrictions, but are you telling me we couldn't lose one from another area to gain in a far more important aspect? Also, are there a lot of other teams that have dedicated QB coaches specifically? Which teams? Are their QBs successful?

I understand that x's and o's wise, the qb spends most of that time with the OC anyway. The qb is who makes it all hum. And, even though I've spoke in the past on the need of an exlusive QB coach in order to teach techniques and relate to them on a full time basis, I would like to see the numbers amongst college programs that have or dont have such a thing as well. As was said, most to all qb's spend offseasons and summers at qb camps and such things developing their raw skills anyway, and I think that allows them to spend more and required times on the ins and outs of the actual offense, which leads back to the OC.

Bottom line? I dont think not having a qb coach is one of our more pressing issues. Our offense's overall philosophy needs a total overhaul in my opinion. I liked the offensive game plan against Georgia. We had the one pick on that slant that was probably just plain Armstrong's fault. Dropped a beauty of a TD pass to Turner, and pounded the ball. Our star back had 27 carries, and our freshman qb had 14 pass attempts. Though he only completed 6, there were a few drops. And he also scrambled a few times on pass plays that were not there. All in all, the offensive plan in the bowl game was more of the direction I'd like to see this offense go.

Watching Ohio St last night, I almost thought they picked up Beck to OC for the Orange Bowl. I know they scored points, but jeebus, the playcalling was so eratic. Ohio St never seemed to try and settle on one identity or another, and in my opinion it cost them in the end. I thought they tried to be to "multiple" (imagine that), outguessing themselves by trying to trick clemson instead of just leaning on what theyve done all year and executing what theyre great at. I just dont recall Braxton Miller having to pretend to be Peyton Manning as much as he did last night this season. I know he was hurting some, but there's also Carlos Hyde. Seems Ohio St took their whole offensive unit away from their mojo.

I thought that most schools typically had their offensive coordinator also serve as the quarterbacks coach; the roles sort of go together. And we've had Joe Ganz effectively in that capacity as a graduate assistant in recent years, with Ron Kellogg taking up the torch following Joe's departure at the end of this season.

It's fair to wonder how good of a job Beck/Ganz/Kellogg can do with quarterbacks, but even the best quarterback coaches have to have something to work with, too. Two very promising, very young quarterbacks headed into a battle this spring, so a lot of story left to be written.

I believe we are already at the max for full time assistant coaches and therefore would have to let someone go to do this.

This is correct can have a head coach and 9 assistants so who would go to add a QB only coach?

Beck

Brown

Cotton

Els

Fisher

Garrison

Joseph (if he is still here)

Kaz

Papuchis

I understand that x's and o's wise, the qb spends most of that time with the OC anyway. The qb is who makes it all hum. And, even though I've spoke in the past on the need of an exlusive QB coach in order to teach techniques and relate to them on a full time basis, I would like to see the numbers amongst college programs that have or dont have such a thing as well. As was said, most to all qb's spend offseasons and summers at qb camps and such things developing their raw skills anyway, and I think that allows them to spend more and required times on the ins and outs of the actual offense, which leads back to the OC.

Our offense's overall philosophy needs a total overhaul in my opinion. I liked the offensive game plan against Georgia. We had the one pick on that slant that was probably just plain Armstrong's fault. Dropped a beauty of a TD pass to Turner, and pounded the ball. Our star back had 27 carries, and our freshman qb had 14 pass attempts. Though he only completed 6, there were a few drops. And he also scrambled a few times on pass plays that were not there. All in all, the offensive plan in the bowl game was more of the direction I'd like to see this offense go.

Agree completely. I liked a lot about the bowl game as well. We still need to learn what a HB screen is...I don't think I've seen one in two or three years here. We need to learn that a TE is a position in a football team and that they are used as run blockers and as eligible receivers. That goes for both sides of the ball. A TE can be a struggling QBs best friend. We need to learn that crossing routes are great for exposing man coverage and are typically an easy completion. Ever heard of a pick route Nebraska? Everyone's doing it, not us.

A QB coach would help, but Beck is the overall game changer in the situation, that's a fact. The bowl was a step in the right direction. The heavy dose of the run game was great, and the speed sweep action was genius. It really did force the defense to hesitate in their pursuit. Excellent decision by Beck. The only way it could have been even more successful? I know people will scoff at this, but the offensive line, as praised as they were, still really really needs to get better. Lots of times I saw guys doing nothing. I can't stand that.

I believe we are already at the max for full time assistant coaches and therefore would have to let someone go to do this.

This is correct can have a head coach and 9 assistants so who would go to add a QB only coach?

Beck

Brown

Cotton

Els

Fisher

Garrison

Kaz

Papuchis

Barney Cotton is who you cut. No matter what you think of him or whatever, just think about his duties. He is the TE coach. The same TE's who were targeted like 15 times this year and caught a total of 6 passes or so. His recruiting ground is Nebraska, which takes minimal effort. You think Barney had to work hard to get Bando to commit?

We should cut Barney not because he sucks or isn't a good coach, it's because we should replace a guy who coaches a position that gets 5 touches a year for a guy who coaches a position who touches the ball 750 times per year.

• Fire 4

Have you ever coached FBS football? If not then stop and let the coaches do their damn job!

Have you ever coached FBS football? If not then stop and let the coaches do their damn job!

By this logic, you cannot:

-bitch about service in a restaurant if you weren't a waiter.

-bitch about kids if you aren't a parent.

-bitch about your car service if you aren't a mechanic

-bitch about your late flight if you aren't a pilot.

-and on and on and on

It's a valid point. The quarterback the program hitched most of its hopes on for the last four years had to go outside the program for the help he thought he needed. That's not the best management plan.

• Fire 5

This right here is the best situation to be able to obtain a QB coach. Put the TEs with Fisher, move Cotton to one of the supposed recruiting roles we are trying to get and hire a QB coach and maybe throw ST his way also or at least have him a co-coach for it.

This was in reguards to ObamaRocks91's post above

Beck

Brown

Cotton

Els

Fisher

Garrison

Kaz

Papuchis

Barney Cotton is who you cut. No matter what you think of him or whatever, just think about his duties. He is the TE coach. The same TE's who were targeted like 15 times this year and caught a total of 6 passes or so. His recruiting ground is Nebraska, which takes minimal effort. You think Barney had to work hard to get Bando to commit?

We should cut Barney not because he sucks or isn't a good coach, it's because we should replace a guy who coaches a position that gets 5 touches a year for a guy who coaches a position who touches the ball 750 times per year.

Maybe Cotton should have the new main recruiting position