***National Championship Discussion Thread***

Excel

BCS National Championship  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A day early but might as well start it now:

HjovDUs.gif?1?4121............................................. Hgi3is5.png?1

Matchup

#1 Florida State (13-0) vs. #2 Auburn (12-1)

Time: 730 CST

Weather: 55° F, 15% Humidity, 0% Precipitation

TV: ESPN (Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit, Heather Cox)

Line: Florida State 8.5

History

Series: Auburn 13, FSU 4, Ties 1

Last Meeting: FSU 17, Auburn 20 (1990)

Neutral Site Meetings: 1989 Sugar Bowl, FSU won 13-7

Auburn against the ACC: 45-20-4

FSU against the SEC: 47-68-7

Note: The two teams played 18 times from 1954 to 1990. Only bowl meeting was the '89 Sugar Bowl

Florida State

History

All-time record: 498-237-17 (.647)

National Championships: 2 (1993,1999)

ACC Championships: 14

Atlantic Division Championships: 5

Heismans: 3

Consensus All Americans: 38

Coach: Jimbo Fisher (4th year, 44-10, 3-0 bowls)

BCS National Championship Game Record: 1-2

BCS Bowl Record: 2-5

Bowl Record: 25-14-2 (.634)

Record in games played in the Rose Bowl: 0-0

This Year

Record: 13-0

Ranked teams played: @#12 Clemson (W 51-14), #24 Duke (W 45-7)

Sagarin SOS: #63

Record against Sagarin top 30: 1-0

Defense Rank: #5 (290 ypg)

Offense Rank: #3 (573 ypg)

Points Scored: #2 (53.7)

Points Allowed: #1 (11)

Turnover Margin: +17 (#2)

Best Defense faced: #8 Florida

Best Offense faced: #13 Clemson Tiggers

Aggregate Opponents' win percentage: 0.483

Auburn

History

All-time record: 726-415-47 (.631)

National Championships: 2 (1957*, 2010)

SEC Championships: 12

Western Division Championships: 8

Heismans: 3

Consensus All Americans: 68

Coach: Gus Malzahn (1st year, 12-1, 0-0 bowls)

BCS National Championship Game Record: 1-0

BCS Bowl Record: 2-0

Bowl Record: 22-13-2 (.622)

Record in games played in the Rose Bowl: 0-0

This Year

Record: 12-1

Ranked teams played: @#16 LSU (L 21-35), @#21 TAMU (W 45-41), #22 UGA (W 43-38), #3 UA (W 34-28), #8 Mizzou (W 59-42)

Sagarin SOS: #20

Record against Sagarin top 30: 5-1

Defense Rank: #85 (423 ypg)

Offense Rank: #12 (505 ypg)

Points Scored: #12 (40.2)

Points Allowed: #41 (24)

Turnover Margin: +1 (#61)

Best Defense faced: #4 Alabama

Best Offense faced: #6 TAMU fightin' Johnnies

Aggregate Opponents' win percentage: 0.602

FSU Players to watch

QB Jameis Winston

jameis-winston-header2.jpg

Passing 38 TDs, 10 INTs, 67.9% pass completion, 3820 yards, 10.9 average yards per pass

Rushing 193 yards, 2.5 yards per rush, 4 TDs

WR Kelvin Benjamin

940x.jpg

50 catches, 957 yards, 14 TDs, 19.1 ypc (341 yds, 5 TDs last two games)

Auburn Players to Watch

....QB Nick Marshall

-0b39d73cc7c3408e.JPG

Passing 12 TDs, 5 INTs, 60.4% pass completion, 1759 yards, 8.3 average yards per pass

Rushing 1023 yards, 6.6 yards per rush, 11 TDs

RB Tre Mason

espnapi_ncf_u_mason03jr_576x324_wmain.jpg

1621 yards, 22 average carries per game, 5.7 ypc, 22 TDs

Interesting notes on Coaching

Fisher's Auburn Connection: Florida State Head Coach Jimbo Fisher, while a West Virginia native, has deep roots in Alabama. He quarterbacked his senior year at Samford college in Homewood Alabama about two hours from Auburn. Fisher stayed as a GA and coach at Samford from 1988-1992 and then went on to coach quarterbacks at Auburn from 1993-1998.

Previous meetings: Guz Malzahn and Jimbo Fisher have been on the same field only once in the past; 2006 Arkansas vs. LSU. Malzahn was the OC for Arkansas while Fisher was the OC for LSU. LSU won 31-26.

• Fire 1

Who voted for Auburn?

Really?

Names are visible...it was me. I'll probably have to eat crow but I think FSU is overrated and that Fisher will have trouble beating a Malzahn offense/Johnson defense.

I dunno, maybe the fact that I just generally dislike FSU is blinding me.

Who voted for Auburn?

Really?

Names are visible...it was me. I'll probably have to eat crow but I think FSU is overrated and that Fisher will have trouble beating a Malzahn offense/Johnson defense.

I dunno, maybe the fact that I just generally dislike FSU is blinding me.

Let me rephrase, it says who do you want to win. Who honestly wants Auburn to win. WANTS.

If you're still looking to go:

Fans of Florida State and Auburn who decided to hold out until the last minute for tickets to Monday's Vizio BCS National Championship are in luck.

Prices on the resale market of some tickets have dipped below the face values of $325 (for end zone seats) and $385 (yard lines), making it one of the cheapest championship games to attend.

As of 8:30 a.m. ET Monday, nearly 1,000 tickets to the game were selling below face value, according to TiqIQ, a ticket-market data provider.

The median price of a ticket paid for the game on ticket resale site StubHub through Sunday was $799. That's 45 percent cheaper than the median price paid for last year's title game on the site ($1,459) and 47 percent cheaper than the median price paid for the game in 2012 ($1,528).

Let me rephrase, it says who do you want to win. Who honestly wants Auburn to win. WANTS.

Me. I'm not passionate about it or anything and I'm no huge fan but I like Auburn and their fans and I really like Gus Malzahn and Ellis Johnson so I'm rooting for them.

Me. I'm not passionate about it or anything and I'm no huge fan but I like Auburn and their fans and I really like Gus Malzahn and Ellis Johnson so I'm rooting for them.

It must be a Wisconsin thing, but I can't take anymore of this SEC $#!£ storm.

I also feel Auburn doesn't really deserve to be there, but SEC! SEC! SEC!

Someone's REALLY hoping for an Auburn win:

There will be many nervous Auburn fans Monday night as they watch their Tigers take on Florida State in the VIZIO BCS National Championship, but Mark Skiba is an odds-on favorite to be among the most skittish.

Last January, Skiba's father was on vacation in Las Vegas when he placed a $100 bet for his son on Auburn to win the title game at 500-to-1 odds. The team's thrilling finishes against Georgia and Alabama, and a loss by Ohio State to Michigan State in the Big Ten championship game, resulted in the Tigers landing in Pasadena opposite the top-ranked Seminoles.

ncf_ticketlarge_300x300.jpg

Someone's REALLY hoping for an Auburn win:

There will be many nervous Auburn fans Monday night as they watch their Tigers take on Florida State in the VIZIO BCS National Championship, but Mark Skiba is an odds-on favorite to be among the most skittish.

Last January, Skiba's father was on vacation in Las Vegas when he placed a $100 bet for his son on Auburn to win the title game at 500-to-1 odds. The team's thrilling finishes against Georgia and Alabama, and a loss by Ohio State to Michigan State in the Big Ten championship game, resulted in the Tigers landing in Pasadena opposite the top-ranked Seminoles.

ncf_ticketlarge_300x300.jpg

I've got sizable stakes on the total going over. So I could care less who wins so long as 69 pts are scored!