Former Husker Todd Peat Jr. slams signing day hype

I don't buy into the media blame game. He was an 18 year old kid and wanted the attention. That is on him. Kids like Tanner Farmer didn't want/need it and he did just fine in the recruiting "business." Peat sounds like he was young/talented and loved the attention, and now that he didn't pan out, he wants to shift some of the blame to the media.

i look at it as a cautionary tale. he did love the attention. he got wrapped up in it, lost focus, failed. i think he is warning others that you need to be careful with the hype. you love it now, but all the glitters is not gold. he was crushed by the attention because he was not personally prepared for it. that is on him, but no reason in not trying to warn other kids to be careful with the hype.

To the point that signing day has grown to an overblown folly, Peat, and everyone here has a point with that. Ranking the 2014 recruiting class yesterday, just like when people rate NFL drafts the week after, is a pretty obvious joke. For reasons like Peat jr, or Ryan Perriloux, or Harrison Beck, or Suh. So many things have to go right for a person to grow from a high school talent to a successful student athlete and beyond there is isn't a metric that exists for it. That goes for all sports.

• Fire 1

He's not wrong about the best players not always playing. Even though that was Bo's message coming in. Alot of walk on's that are better and EARNING IT are getting passed up because of some certain coaches disdain for walk ons. Maybe not Bo, but otherwise.

Either way, I don't support Peat, but he brought up a point that I am wanted to expand on a little.

Really? Do you have some sort of inside information that this is the case or is this just your opinion.

I know what I know from who I get to know it from. This is about the extent I've ever talked about it. Not willing to expand much more. Wish I could, but I can't at this time.

You can go ahead and dismiss me now ...

I absolutely know this as fact. The best players are not always playing, period. If you don't believe that let me ask why wouldn't you believe it? Bo has made it quite clear that he asks much more of these guys than just being a talented ball player. Some of these really talented guys may or may not be living up to the standards Bo sets in other areas. Then again, some of these players may not do anything wrong, someone else at the same position just kisses Bos ass a little sweeter. I think there's been some pretty clear examples of some highly athletic, talented individuals not seeing the field much for one reason or another. We've had that discussion here before I believe. Nobody seems to want to hear it.

He's not wrong about the best players not always playing. Even though that was Bo's message coming in. Alot of walk on's that are better and EARNING IT are getting passed up because of some certain coaches disdain for walk ons. Maybe not Bo, but otherwise.

Either way, I don't support Peat, but he brought up a point that I am wanted to expand on a little.

Really? Do you have some sort of inside information that this is the case or is this just your opinion.

I know what I know from who I get to know it from. This is about the extent I've ever talked about it. Not willing to expand much more. Wish I could, but I can't at this time.

I absolutely know this as fact. The best players are not always playing, period. If you don't believe that let me ask why wouldn't you believe it? Bo has made it quite clear that he asks much more of these guys than just being a talented ball player. Some of these really talented guys may or may not be living up to the standards Bo sets in other areas. Then again, some of these players may not do anything wrong, someone else at the same position just kisses Bos ass a little sweeter. I think there's been some pretty clear examples of some highly athletic, talented individuals not seeing the field much for one reason or another. We've had that discussion here before I believe. Nobody seems to want to hear it.

I think there is a big difference between the best player and the most talented player. Lots of intangibles go into making a good or great football player. being athletic is only one of the components, though it is probably the most important one.

I have no problem with BP not playing a kid because he has a bad attitude. Even if he is the most talented kid at the position. If he has a bad attitude than he is generally not working too hard and in many cases he becomes a cancer on the team.

I have no problem with this because I coached football for 20+ years and have had this problem many times and they didn't play. Team chemistry/continuity or whatever you want to call it is way more important than 1 or 2 individuals that may be very talented.

Don't think that is just a BP thing. That is a Sabin/Miles/Stoops/Meyer etc. thing.

Because I think there's a lot more than just straight up talent. It's a combination of things mentally and physically that make up the best player.

I agree, there have been a lot of talented guys come up on the short end of playing time, but I'm bettin there's some pretty legit reasoning behind most of them.

I remember when Austin Cassidy took the place of Thenarse and/or Smith in 2010. Would you say that Cassidy was more talented that those? iwouldnt. And it was obvious. But Cassidy was the more sound player. He was more mentally in tune, and was a much more sound tackler.

And then there's the Charles Jackson debate. We've seen his athleticism and his potential. But do you really think Bo is keeping that talent off the field over a grudge and/or some ass kissing? I'm not certain, and you may know more about it from behind the scenes than I do, but I'm just bettin those defensive coaches and Bo are doing everything they can to get him mentally in tune enough to be on the field. But thus far it just doesnt tick. it's a deal where, if youre gonna be a liability and give a play for everyone you make, there are better options, whether theyre better athletes and more talented or not.

Gangwish I am guessing.

• Fire 1

He makes some valid points about recruiting hype but he is where he is because he wouldn't get it together. Bo has his faults but he doesn't owe Peat a continued relationship. If anything Peat owes the program for wasting their time and resources on a guy that wouldn't work hard and quit eating so damn much.

This helps explain why Peat never lived up to the hype. Seems like he bought into himself. He did not think he had to work, that everything would just be given to him. When the coaches told him he had to earn playing time by working hard and proving himself, he resisted rather than accepting the challenge.

This entitled mindset can clearly distort how much effort he expects from himself and can really cripple how much he could have grown as a player.

Good for him to realize this, obviously a tough lesson to learn that made him miss an opportunity. Still, given the same chance, I better we would see a much different work ethic from him.