Sam Keller

Landlord

Off-Topic:

Everyone complaining about Keller being involved in killing the NCAA Football franchise has no idea what they are talking about. BLAME EA!!! They used the players likenesses, they built a crap game that got progressively worse, and they made the decision to kill it. This is what EA does. They ring out every last dollar out of every product they have, put zero effort into improving it, and then toss it aside. See...SimCity, Star Wars The Old Republic, Mass Effect, Plants vs Zombies, Battlefield, EA Sports, and the newest debacle, Dungeon Keeper. Not to mention what they did to these companies: Criterion, Digital Illusions, Pandemic, Bioware, Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxis & DICE.

On-Topic:

Keller was a solid player. Got put in an impossible situation. That entire team didn't have any fight in them. Can't knock Keller for that.

• Fire 2

Sure Sam wasnt the only player who didnt get drafted into the NFL that wanted to sue the NCAA and EA. But he was vocal about it. So recruiting him to be the poster boy makes sense but I dont think he was simply a pawn, more of a catalyst.

Conspiracy theory: AND.....hes from Nebraska! Theh KNEW it would make us look bad....bastards.

I'll bet you any amount of money it wasn't his idea, nor was he actively working towards this end. He was just a name that a money-hungry group found and paid to be the face of their suit.

Out of 123,151,320,561 college athletes, they chose a non famous Sam Keller? I am not buying it.

Holy smokes, something HuskerNationNick said kind of makes sense. +1

• Fire 2

Half the time True, they werent even screen passes. They were just basic, fast quickdowns. Take the snap, RB flares, no one's out. Dump it off without even making a downfield read, and it's an easy 10 yards. Just the threat of using immediately like that opens up so much in the middle of the field. It's confusing to me why it's not used more often either.

Yea I agree, I'd say there was a good amount of both types of throws. As far as HB screen plays, even 1-2 a game would just be brilliant in our current offense. I really thought highly of Marlon Lucky and obviously the coaches did as well. They tried to utilize him in space often. Now Marlon, though a decent player, is no Ameer Abdullah. It just boggles my mind we don't do more things like we are discussing here with AA. Could you imagine being a LBer on the outside, open field, one on one versus Abdullah. I'd like to see us take advantage of that at least 5-10 times a game.

It's basic football, really. I think we've become so concerned with being multiple and complex that we've thrown all basic concepts out the window.

Half the time True, they werent even screen passes. They were just basic, fast quickdowns. Take the snap, RB flares, no one's out. Dump it off without even making a downfield read, and it's an easy 10 yards. Just the threat of using immediately like that opens up so much in the middle of the field. It's confusing to me why it's not used more often either.

Yea I agree, I'd say there was a good amount of both types of throws. As far as HB screen plays, even 1-2 a game would just be brilliant in our current offense. I really thought highly of Marlon Lucky and obviously the coaches did as well. They tried to utilize him in space often. Now Marlon, though a decent player, is no Ameer Abdullah. It just boggles my mind we don't do more things like we are discussing here with AA. Could you imagine being a LBer on the outside, open field, one on one versus Abdullah. I'd like to see us take advantage of that at least 5-10 times a game.

It's basic football, really. I think we've become so concerned with being multiple and complex that we've thrown all basic concepts out the window.

Yes. I think you and me have established quite some time ago that we agree on this completely. It's a problem with Beck. He out thinks himself constantly. He does a DC job on himself sometimes. Multiplicity is my most hated word with this f'ing team. You could somewhat say we simplified last year, but you could easily say that was due to Martinez's injury and Tommy Armstrong complete lack of experience. The interesting thing will be to see what we do offensively next year. Does Beck go more fundamental on offense due to TA being a bit more fundamental QB? How much was the offense tailored to Martinez? Or do we see more of the same as what we've seen in the past? It's always a guessing game it seems.

I dont see where anything was pared down or tailored to Armstrong and his experience, and that's where the problem lies? He threw how many picks? And that says he's being put into position to fail. Of course Martinez played against Minnesota but that's one instance, and NW and Michigan St and of course the playcalling against Iowa was just a catastrophy of complete ineptitude. Michigan and Penn St games werent bad, but there were still some boneheaded things. But everytime we'd get the running game going and it was ready to lean on, we'd take the ball out of Ameer's hands and try to turn Taylor, Tommy, Ron, or whoever the hell into Tom Brady. We tried to put Tommy in the pocket and have him diagnose coverages too much instead of making the run game 1st and foremost and giving Tommy the easy 2-man route combos off play action. THAT'S what we did against Georgia, and it wound up being enough. Run the ball, protect your qb, and let him make the big play or two that swings the game. Tommy made two tremendous TD passes in that game. 1 just happened to be dropped.

Also, Beck could use about 800x more screen passes than he currently does, but it's incorrect to say he never calls any.

Now, please understand when I referenced a screen play, I was specifically speaking of a HB screen, something to get Abduallah in the open field. Not saying you're stupid, just want to be clear that there's quite a difference between the HB screen and that idotic WR screen we run about 40 times a game.

You being a video guy, I challenge you to find two examples of a HB screen called by Beck. If you don't want to waste your time with this, no big deal. I just believe you would be hard pressed to do so. I bet I can rewatch your entire highlight video of last season and not find one.

I dont see where anything was pared down or tailored to Armstrong and his experience, and that's where the problem lies? He threw how many picks? And that says he's being put into position to fail. Of course Martinez played against Minnesota but that's one instance, and NW and Michigan St and of course the playcalling against Iowa was just a catastrophy of complete ineptitude. Michigan and Penn St games werent bad, but there were still some boneheaded things. But everytime we'd get the running game going and it was ready to lean on, we'd take the ball out of Ameer's hands and try to turn Taylor, Tommy, Ron, or whoever the hell into Tom Brady. We tried to put Tommy in the pocket and have him diagnose coverages too much instead of making the run game 1st and foremost and giving Tommy the easy 2-man route combos off play action. THAT'S what we did against Georgia, and it wound up being enough. Run the ball, protect your qb, and let him make the big play or two that swings the game. Tommy made two tremendous TD passes in that game. 1 just happened to be dropped.

I think we pared down a bit compared to what we would have seen had Martinez been in there, but that is tough to say. I too was complaining about the over use of the passing game this season, still I think things were simplified a bit. Abdullah did get quite a few carries this year.

I don't want to get into a position where I'm defending Beck in any way. Ive got the same complaints most have when it comes to his offense.

I think we pared down a bit compared to what we would have seen had Martinez been in there, but that is tough to say. I too was complaining about the over use of the passing game this season, still I think things were simplified a bit. Abdullah did get quite a few carries this year.

I don't want to get into a position where I'm defending Beck in any way. Ive got the same complaints most have when it comes to his offense.

Ok. i gottcha now. Yes, I think we simplified it. But there was bigtime overuse of the passing game. Conventional passing game that is. They may have pared down the offense, but it backfired on us cuz we went to more of a drop back pass look most times. Pretty sure that's not Armstrong's strong suit

Another thing is that it seemed like the option went away too. And Tommy runnin that is a thing of beauty. Another thing I'd like to see our offensive coaches and players alike do is get over the notion of trying to protect the players. Let Tommy run the option. If he gets hurt, it was gonna happen anyway (which it did <_< ). Protecting Martinez cuz he's a little sore or somethin doesnt help the team, and most likely, is probably not that embraced by the player himself. Give him the ball. Ride him. Let him do his thing. Have some faith.