The awful beauty of the riots in Kiev, Ukraine

Well we could see a better comparison of MBT's later this year in the Tank Biathlon. We said we would send some crews last year and the Germans were mulling it over too but I doubt it's going to happen now.

The British Chietains and German Leopards are almost as nasty as the Abrams...

Edited by walksalone

Well we could see a better comparison of MBT's later this year in the Tank Biathlon. We said we would send some crews last year and the Germans were mulling it over too but I doubt it's going to happen now.

The Germans are still allowed to make tanks?

Yeah, scary ain't it...

Yes. They are allowed to defend them selves. Much like Japan.

Yea, I was making a dumb joke.

Yea, I was making a dumb joke.

and whats worse, that my joke was trying to play off your joke...

Another question to this mess...

Is the whole EU willing to stick up for the Ukraine?

Some interesting photos from the Atlantic

Ukrainian Soldiers atop a building on a besieged Ukrainian base

s_r08_RTR3G7EZ.jpg

Thank god they're wearing masks, otherwise it'd be obvious these guys are actually Russian Soldiers:

s_r09_76347223.jpg

Russian base at Sevastopol, the letters read, "Glory to the Russian Navy"

s_r10_RTR3G64B.jpg

The Russians scuttled this ship to block the harbor of a Crimean port

s_r14_RTR3G8EY.jpg

Ukrainian sailor aboard a ship in a Crimean harbor, apparently the mattresses and blankets are there to hamper boarding attempts

s_r15_01143376.jpg

Russian and Ukrainian Soldiers at the gate to a Ukrainian base, they seem relaxed, civilians are passing by and the Russians don't have mags in

s_r19_76731973.jpg

Another gate, Ukrainians standing behind a Russian guard

s_r21_76454499.jpg

Russian Soldier guards a Ukrainian airfield

s_r24_RTR3G10L.jpg

Colonel Yuli Mamchor leads Ukrainian airmen on a march to reclaim their base from occupying Russians

s_r26_76604065.jpg

Russian soldiers fire warning shots at the approaching airmen

s_r28_76603781.jpg

s_r29_76603937.jpg

s_r30_76603807.jpg

Campaign posters for the upcoming plebiscite

s_r31_77822169.jpg

The election will ask Crimean voters "When should Crimea join Russia?" with the only two options being "Now" or "Later". Kind of seems familiar:

Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

One guy would be enough. That guy (or these 600 guys) can't come to any harm whatsoever. One guy gets a scratch, or god forbid a bullet, and the grumbling the world is doing now becomes a full-on uproar. An end to foreign trade. All foreign assets frozen. Seizure of those assets by the more aggressive players. Denial of port entry to Russian trade ships. Denial of use of the Bosporus, which would make the entire land-grab in the Crimea a waste of time.

And those are just the paper sanctions. If it turned into a hot war, which the death of U.S. servicemen at the hands of Russian soldiers could, all of NATO would get involved, and any number of the former Soviet Bloc nations would be clamoring for NATO troops - if not NATO admission.

Russia has nukes, but they're not so stupid as to use them. M.A.D. is still at the forefront of everyone's minds, and the Crimea/Ukraine isn't worth going nuclear over. Any kind of conventional action would be regional, and Russia would stand to lose territory in the aftermath.

For all the hand-wringing over Putin's bold moves, he's done himself no favors, and he's pretty much painted himself into a corner. This wasn't a well-thought-out strategy on his part, and the presence of even one platoon of U.S. soldiers limits his options.

• Fire 2

Kiev, Ukraine (CNN) -- U.S. President Barack Obama threatened Russia on Friday with new sanctions over its actions in Ukraine as the Ukrainian Prime Minister also came out with tough words against Moscow.

The United States could announce further sanctions as early as next week, U.S. officials say.

Russian attempts to start conflict in Ukraine will lead to military conflict in Europe, Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk warned.

He also charged Russia with aiming to occupy his country "militarily and politically," and said Moscow wants to start a third world war.

:o :o :o

watch Crimson Tide movie. "It's déjà vu all over again" ??!!!??