QUARTERBACK PLAY

Do you think Kevin Sumlin taught Johnny Football to play like that or Jamise Winston has all that poise because of something that Jimbo Fisher did? Those kids were born that way.

A coach can work on enhancing and refining what is there, but they real great ones already have it.

Would Ganz fit into your description? Or any number of other high performing junior/seniors that didn't have the "it factor" the first day the set foot on campus?

A lot of great college quarterbacks go off campus for training and work on their techniques in the off season. I'm not sure if you have to have someone on staff that can specifically focus on developing the QB and his talent. That's not something I know a lot about when it comes to other colleges/staffs and what their makes-ups are. Might be something to look into, though.

All I know is Stanton was a finalist at the Elite 11 QB camp, joining a group of some extremely talented college QB's in the last decade. Pretty fine company to be mentioned with (names like Vince Young, Matthew Stafford and Andrew Luck, for example). Throw on that TA also has a lot of talent and game experience, and you gotta like how this competition is shaping up.

IMHO the most important thing outside of playmaking ability/leadership is ball security. This was a huge problem in recent years. I'll sacrifice a little explosiveness or game-changing ability if it means we'll turn the ball over less. Whoever our starter is, he has to take care of the football better than TM did.

• Fire 2

A lot of great college quarterbacks go off campus for training and work on their techniques in the off season. I'm not sure if you have to have someone on staff that can specifically focus on developing the QB and his talent. That's not something I know a lot about when it comes to other colleges/staffs and what their makes-ups are. Might be something to look into, though.

All I know is Stanton was a finalist at the Elite 11 QB camp, joining a group of some extremely talented college QB's in the last decade. Pretty fine company to be mentioned with (names like Vince Young, Matthew Stafford and Andrew Luck, for example). Throw on that TA also has a lot of talent and game experience, and you gotta like how this competition is shaping up.

IMHO the most important thing outside of playmaking ability/leadership is ball security. This was a huge problem in recent years. I'll sacrifice a little explosiveness or game-changing ability if it means we'll turn the ball over less. Whoever our starter is, he has to take care of the football better than TM did.

well said. I concur that ball security is really important and that I will take that over explosiveness from a QB any day. Just distribute the ball, make few mistakes... leave the explosiveness to Bell, Abdullah, etc.

• Fire 1

Do you think Kevin Sumlin taught Johnny Football to play like that or Jamise Winston has all that poise because of something that Jimbo Fisher did? Those kids were born that way.

A coach can work on enhancing and refining what is there, but they real great ones already have it.

Would Ganz fit into your description? Or any number of other high performing junior/seniors that didn't have the "it factor" the first day the set foot on campus?

I think you both are right. Certain great ones simply have it and can be refined and honed by coaching but will succeed mightily even in the absence of solid coaching contributions. Such players are comparatively rare. Guys like Ganz clearly do not fall into that category --- he was not that inherently gifted... but was skilled nonetheless. For guys like Ganz, it is still largely natural talent (in his case taking time to develop) but coaching can make a bigger difference in cases like this (a bigger differential) than with the superstars.

I think that Tommy and Johnny have the potential to be very good. That being said, who is going to guide them to greatness? Do you believe that we have some people on staff that are capable of developing a championship/NFL QB?

Tim Beck is not a quarterbacks coach. RK3 is going to be a GA next year.

No one on staff has directly overseen the development of a big time QB. Taylor was great and he put up some very impressive numbers, rewrote the record book, but we all know what his career was missing.

Ron worked hard, paid his dues and got his much-deserved chance last year.Tommy still beat him for the starting spot, though. So now Ron is going to be coaching the guy whom he could not beat out? I just do not get what Kellogg could teach Armstrong.

How do we develop a championship QB if no one on staff has ever coached one or been one?

It's a team game blah blah blah but quarterback is the most important position.

gonna be a long offseason

well this is what you get when you hire your friends with no experience.

you are quite correct. The NU staff is a very limited staff in terms of what it can successfully do. It is not an experienced staff with proven excellence elsewhere at their coaching positions. It is a staff (all the way up to and including the head coach) that is a work in progress, learn as you go, try to figure it out type of staff which has many limitations still. One of them is what you mention... no one to develop well a QB. That does not mean that none of our QB's can end up playing well... they can. But being "coached up" and getting the maximum from their talent is pretty unlikely with this staff. Still...

one of these guys may end up pretty good --- Armstrong, Stanton, or Darlington. If so... they will do so largely on their own. maybe outside coaching (the likes of which Tmart received) will be possible. Who knows? Hopefully, we get some quality QB play.

yeah we can have qb's that are pretty good but more than likely they would have to be pretty good before they got here. If our qb struggles are still going on after this season, i hope Bo thinks about bringing in a QB coach and not just a GA to help out.

A QB that knows how to read a defense and audible accordingly would be a great help to this offense. When you have a QB that has to devote so much time to throwing motion, footwork, and basic mechanics of being QB, well that QB has less time to focus on the mental aspect of the game. Now, when you have a QB that has all the mechanics of a QB already in his arsenal, then that QB gets to focus on the mental part. Reading defenses, knowing when to audible, recognizing pressure, and a huge thing this offense has been lacking....TIMING!

I'm assuming this is referring to Martinez. Are you seriously trying to say he didn't audible well and often? I really can't believe anyone who has watched Nebraska football over the last four years could attempt to make that statement.

• Fire 1

I think that Tommy and Johnny have the potential to be very good. That being said, who is going to guide them to greatness? Do you believe that we have some people on staff that are capable of developing a championship/NFL QB?

Tim Beck is not a quarterbacks coach. RK3 is going to be a GA next year.

No one on staff has directly overseen the development of a big time QB. Taylor was great and he put up some very impressive numbers, rewrote the record book, but we all know what his career was missing.

Ron worked hard, paid his dues and got his much-deserved chance last year.Tommy still beat him for the starting spot, though. So now Ron is going to be coaching the guy whom he could not beat out? I just do not get what Kellogg could teach Armstrong.

How do we develop a championship QB if no one on staff has ever coached one or been one?

It's a team game blah blah blah but quarterback is the most important position.

gonna be a long offseason

i have brought this issue up many times, no one thinks we need a true qb coach....so our qbs will be half ass in their skills.

Oh good god! Really? For the love of all that is holy people get the f#*k over it if I didn't think the kid was that great at QB! I didn't think he was dog sh#t either. I thought he spent much of his career learning the fundamentals if the position. I'm waiting for the day Nebraska gets a guy who is refine in that aspect, and spends his time focusing on running this offense and reading defenses! I think the direction of the offense changed as Taylor got better, but I'm hoping tommy Armstrong shows us what Beck has desired his offense to be all along. It's not a vote of confidence in Becks play calling, but it is as far as what I think he wants to be. He was the passing game coordinator at Kansas. They were very good then, and they were a TIMING based offense.

Enough of this open ended bullsh#t of " I assume you're talking about Martinez, I can't believe you would say that about him". I'm not saying he f'ing sucked! I'm saying we can be much better! End of story.

• Fire 1

I'm so sick of every conversation I comment about a QB turns into me somehow bashing Taylor. Get over it folks, I think we will have better QB's at some point down the road. So twenty years from now if I'm still here and you're still here and I say I'm really excited to see what the next QB at Nebraska can do in 2034, I don't want to f'ing hear,"what, you think he'll be better than Taylor?". YES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I THINK SO!

We love Taylor because of what he was and what he could have been. We mourn his graduation because his Senior season was cut off at the knees. We revere the kid because he was well respected by his team and not as he should have been by his community.

With that said, Johnny Stanton looks to have the makings of a heisman candidate. Tommy has some good potential too but the highlights of Stanton and his already impressive resume lead me to lean he gets the start over TA come fall.

I'd say wait and see on Beck, Hunter. He's designed offenses in the Texas HS ranks, worked as passing game coordinator under Mangino, and so on -- I think he's at least quite familiar with working with QBs. Taylor was always gonna be playing catch up here, but I mean, he had just started playing QB before he arrived. I don't think that's a reflection at all on his QB coaches. And RK3, I think his veteran experience and leadership will be very valuable to him as a GA next year.

Most OCs also double as QBs coach, if I'm not mistaken, and it makes sense given how closely the job descriptions are intertwined -- designing the offense and coordinating with the guy who has to go out there and run the show.

Lastly, not to dive into the fray here again, but I didn't know that TM was particularly known for his audible prowess, although he did do it often later in his career. Though, I'm confused as to why our QBs are asked to do it at all when it seems the sidelines signal in all the audibles with boards of Jeff Jamrog's face after they see the defensive alignment. (btw...Jeezus, calm down, True! hahaha.)

• Fire 2

I'm so sick of every conversation I comment about a QB turns into me somehow bashing Taylor. Get over it folks, I think we will have better QB's at some point down the road. So twenty years from now if I'm still here and you're still here and I say I'm really excited to see what the next QB at Nebraska can do in 2034, I don't want to f'ing hear,"what, you think he'll be better than Taylor?". YES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I THINK SO!

It was an honest question. Do you really not think he audibled?