SIGNED (2014) PG Tarin Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Miles@CoachMiles 1h

Welcome to the #Huskers @Smittee_ We are thrilled to have you with us! #USALWAYS #GBR http://m.huskers.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=209469060&

University of Nebraska Men’s Basketball Coach Tim Miles announced Wednesday that point guard Tarin Smith (Ocean Township, N.J.) signed a National Letter-of-Intent with the Nebraska basketball program.

Smith is a 6-foot-2, 175-pounder who played for Hall of Fame Coach Bob Hurley at St. Anthony, helping the Friars to consecutive state runner-up finishes. In two seasons as a starter, Smith guided the Friars to a 53-7 record and a pair of sectional titles.

"Tarin is a great addition to our program,” Nebraska Coach Tim Miles said. “He is the complete package at the point guard. He has excellent feel for the game. He is a leader. He has a terrific skill set, and is long and athletic on the defensive end. I love his personality, and he is really an endearing, bright young man. The Huskers landed a treasure in Tarin Smith!"

As a senior, he was a third-team all-state selection by the Newark Star-Ledger, averaging 15 points, four rebounds and four assists per game, as St. Anthony went 25-5 on the season. Smith reached double figures in all but two games as a senior, including a pair of 23-point outings. One of his best performances was a 12-point, eight-assist, six-rebound effort in a win over eventual state champion Roselle Catholic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Tarin Smith’s commute from Cather Hall to the Nebraska basketball practice facility is a five-minute drive.

Compare that with the time the incoming freshman from Ocean Township, New Jersey, spent getting from home to high school, and he now has about four extra hours a day to enjoy.
The 6-foot-1, 175-pound point guard literally took the long way to Nebraska.
Smith used to arise at 5:30 a.m. to catch a 6:30 bus in Ocean Township that put him in Jersey City at 8:10 — just in time to complete the nearly two-hour commute with a 10-minute walk to St. Anthony High School.
Why?
“Because basketball around home was bad,” Smith said. “I couldn’t see myself getting the competition I needed or getting coached the way I needed down by the shore.”

OWH

• 3 months later...