Tim Miles: B1G Coach of the Year?

Wow....I hope none of the players are reading this.

Coach Miles came and talked to a class of mine when I was in college (so, his first season). He straight up admitted to all of us that his team wasn't very talented or even very good. He's one of the most honest and straight-up coaches I've ever listened to.

We all enjoy the team but it's no secret they're still not overly talented - they've got a few really good pieces and really good coaching, though.

I don't want to discredit anything that Miles has done at Nebraska because he has done a wonderful job. I don't think you appreciate how hard it is to lose 2 first round picks to the NBA and then lose another top player to injury.

Let me give an analogy. Let's say Alabama makes it to another national title again this next year under Saban. While, at the same time, a coach from another university takes a team that was 4-8 last year and gets them to a BCS game. I will vote for the second coach over Saban every day of the week. It's not that what Saban did wasn't impressive - maintaining excellence is challenging in it's own right. But, what the other team did is far more impressive in my eyes and more worthy of COTY accolades. Perhaps it's just differing viewpoints here but I have a tough time rewarding a coach for doing something he had a strong chance of doing anyways, hence why I wouldn't vote for Michigan's coach.

Wow....I hope none of the players are reading this.

Coach Miles came and talked to a class of mine when I was in college (so, his first season). He straight up admitted to all of us that his team wasn't very talented or even very good. He's one of the most honest and straight-up coaches I've ever listened to.

We all enjoy the team but it's no secret they're still not overly talented - they've got a few really good pieces and really good coaching, though.

That team was very different than this team.

There is enough of talent, but the team is young and lacks depth. You do not get recruited by Florida & Texas Tech, if you are not talented. Shields was high 3 star that came to NE because of dad. Parker, Hawkins & Fuller are all 3 star players. Webster was as high as a 4 star. Yes its hard to get 5 star players without having a winning program. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

• 1 month later...