Tim Miles: B1G Coach of the Year?

I'd rather be recognized by my peers. Unless Nebraska suddenly picks up several million more people and the media that goes with it, we're always going to have a tremendous disadvantage compared to the old guard.

Doesn't matter when even the Nebraska writers are going against Nebraska.

Who is doing that? Or are you just referring to Dirk and how he can't say 'Creighton' without taking a breath?

That and Lee Barfknecht voted for Michigan in 1997 when we split the title with them, so he probably voted to Belein too.

Before any writer gets verbally tar and feathered by Husker fans, perhaps knowing who makes up the 24 member Big Ten Media Panel would be the place to start. They're still entitled to their vote, whether we agree with it or not.

I'd rather be recognized by my peers. Unless Nebraska suddenly picks up several million more people and the media that goes with it, we're always going to have a tremendous disadvantage compared to the old guard.

Doesn't matter when even the Nebraska writers are going against Nebraska.

Who is doing that? Or are you just referring to Dirk and how he can't say 'Creighton' without taking a breath?

That and Lee Barfknecht voted for Michigan in 1997 when we split the title with them, so he probably voted to Belein too.

Before any writer gets verbally tar and feathered by Husker fans, perhaps knowing who makes up the 24 member Big Ten Media Panel would be the place to start. They're still entitled to their vote, whether we agree with it or not.

Paul, that's not the total point. Dirk is deep blue and most of the writers at the OWH are anti -red. It does not matter what sport it is!

Miles did a great job this year but don't discount what Beilein accomplished this year (I puked a bit in my mouth saying that). It is extremely hard to win when you are expected to and they lost 2 first round draft picks this year. Those type of guys are hard to replace even when you have good talent coming in. I think both are worthy of the honor.

I do like how many are using the media's preseason ranking to justify Miles and then discounting the media for not giving him coach of the year. You can't use the media as a measuring stick for accomplishment and then discount them in the same post.

That's exactly why I discount Beilein, though. Everybody expected Michigan to do pretty well this year, just not as well as last year. IMHO they've slightly exceeded expectations, but they didn't do anything that excites me. And we reward the coach for that? I don't see it. It's difficult to win when you're supposed to, sure, but I still think what Miles' did with way less is far more impressive.

Also, that's exactly why I'm discounting their opinion. They almost unanimously decided Nebraska was going to suck. Now, Nebraska has double digit conference wins, a 15-1 home record, a 4th seed in the B1G tournament with a bye and a strong chance to go dancing. A team did the exact OPPOSITE of what they thought was going to happen and it kind of seems like they ignored it.

Miles did a great job this year but don't discount what Beilein accomplished this year (I puked a bit in my mouth saying that). It is extremely hard to win when you are expected to and they lost 2 first round draft picks this year. Those type of guys are hard to replace even when you have good talent coming in. I think both are worthy of the honor.

I do like how many are using the media's preseason ranking to justify Miles and then discounting the media for not giving him coach of the year. You can't use the media as a measuring stick for accomplishment and then discount them in the same post.

That's exactly why I discount Beilein, though. Everybody expected Michigan to do pretty well this year, just not as well as last year. IMHO they've slightly exceeded expectations, but they didn't do anything that excites me. And we reward the coach for that? I don't see it. It's difficult to win when you're supposed to, sure, but I still think what Miles' did with way less is far more impressive.

Also, that's exactly why I'm discounting their opinion. They almost unanimously decided Nebraska was going to suck. Now, Nebraska has double digit conference wins, a 15-1 home record, a 4th seed in the B1G tournament with a bye and a strong chance to go dancing. A team did the exact OPPOSITE of what they thought was going to happen and it kind of seems like they ignored it.

I don't want to discredit anything that Miles has done at Nebraska because he has done a wonderful job. I don't think you appreciate how hard it is to lose 2 first round picks to the NBA and then lose another top player to injury.

I don't want to discredit anything that Miles has done at Nebraska because he has done a wonderful job. I don't think you appreciate how hard it is to lose 2 first round picks to the NBA and then lose another top player to injury.

I'm sure it would be tough for most teams. But you realize Michigan has 2 first round draft picks on their team right now too right? What they did was impressive, but they did it with more talent and were expected to compete for the title. Not once person expected Nebraska in the top 4, let alone the top 8 or even top 10.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying any Michigan hardship stories or cry any rivers for Coach Beilein. Michigan has two 5 star and three 4 star players left AFTER losing McGary. As long as I'm on that, I might as well point out that McGary's loss was played up to be a LOT more than it actually was (but it sure makes for a good story). He averaged 7.5 points last year and just 6.2 in conference. He didn't even make the Big Ten All Freshman Team. He started this year similarly with a slightly higher ppg average due to the weaker non conference schedule (9.5 ppg) before his injury kept him out. Those are hardly All American numbers, so let's not make this loss out to be more than it is.

Coach Miles doesn't even have a single 4 star. How many returning starters did Nebraska have--Gallegos? I rest my case.

• Fire 1

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying any Michigan hardship stories or cry any rivers for Coach Beilein. Michigan has two 5 star and three 4 star players left AFTER losing McGary. As long as I'm on that, I might as well point out that McGary's loss was played up to be a LOT more than it actually was (but it sure makes for a good story). He averaged 7.5 points last year and just 6.2 in conference. He didn't even make the Big Ten All Freshman Team. He started this year similarly with a slightly higher ppg average due to the weaker non conference schedule (9.5 ppg) before his injury kept him out. Those are hardly All American numbers, so let's not make this loss out to be more than it is.

Coach Miles doesn't even have a single 4 star. How many returning starters did Nebraska have--Gallegos? I rest my case.

I agree with you. When you looked at our team last year, I never thought we would be in the position that we are in this year.

I'm sure it would be tough for most teams. But you realize Michigan has 2 first round draft picks on their team right now too right? What they did was impressive, but they did it with more talent and were expected to compete for the title. Not once person expected Nebraska in the top 4, let alone the top 8 or even top 10.

This is more of a recruiting story than a coaching story. When your talent is as stacked as Michigan's is so they lose two first rounders and have two more the next year......well........

It really isn't even a question who did the best coaching job in the Big Ten this year. Tim Miles is working with what other programs would consider garbage, and finished eight (EIGHT!) spots higher than the media said he would. Michigan had what? Six? Six players on their roster that would have been considered the best recruit in this program's history? And not even just Michigan, it's my understanding that we've never had a 4-star recruit, so at least half of the conference has rosters full of recruits that would have all been considered the best recruit in our program's history.

Give credit where credit is due, media. Will a run to the Sweet Sixteen earn some credit? Because it may be coming.

Wow....I hope none of the players are reading this.

LOL, I thought the same thing.

I am fine with Miles getting COY. I am just saying it isn't as easy as some make it out to be to coach 4 and 5 star players, just ask Kentucky. Saying that, I am done sticking up for a Michigan coach.

I hope Nebraska does make a run in the NCAA tournament, but I want their B1G tournament run to be very short for selfish reasons.

Wow....I hope none of the players are reading this.

LOL, I thought the same thing.

I am fine with Miles getting COY. I am just saying it isn't as easy as some make it out to be to coach 4 and 5 star players, just ask Kentucky. Saying that, I am done sticking up for a Michigan coach.

I hope Nebraska does make a run in the NCAA tournament, but I want their B1G tournament run to be very short for selfish reasons.

I'm just uncomfortable saying our players are everyone else's garbage. They are hardly garbage.

It really isn't even a question who did the best coaching job in the Big Ten this year. Tim Miles is working with what other programs would consider garbage, and finished eight (EIGHT!) spots higher than the media said he would. Michigan had what? Six? Six players on their roster that would have been considered the best recruit in this program's history? And not even just Michigan, it's my understanding that we've never had a 4-star recruit, so at least half of the conference has rosters full of recruits that would have all been considered the best recruit in our program's history.

Give credit where credit is due, media. Will a run to the Sweet Sixteen earn some credit? Because it may be coming.

Our players are not garbage: Petteway was first team, Shields/Pitchford were solid.