Cornerback Competition

Boaz is a safety? For some reason I thought he was a CB. Was he not recruited as a CB?

Yes, he was a corner. That's why that Tweet is confusing. Plus, we're not too bad for depth at safety but pretty thin at corner. I think it was probably either a typo on who he was talking about or what position.

Boaz is a safety? For some reason I thought he was a CB. Was he not recruited as a CB?

Yes, he was a corner. That's why that Tweet is confusing. Plus, we're not too bad for depth at safety but pretty thin at corner. I think it was probably either a typo on who he was talking about or what position.

Fwiw, both Severe and one of the national recruiting guys said that Joseph projected at S, not CB, which is why I wasn't too excited about him. We needed (and still need) true corners, imo.

at this point, given the statements we read, the CB position looks fairly promising. One guy not often mentioned (reasonable in that he is young) is Boaz Joseph. Have I missed it or have there been any comments on Boaz and the likelihood of his contributing this season?

Boaz likely needs one more season before he is ready.

The only thing I've seen was one comment that made me think he was working at safety. That really surprised me so maybe I read it wrong.

It might have been either Severe or McKeown that stated Boaz was about a year away from contributing significantly.

Fwiw, both Severe and one of the national recruiting guys said that Joseph projected at S, not CB, which is why I wasn't too excited about him. We needed (and still need) true corners, imo.

Boaz is a freak athlete that might not be "fluid" enough for CB.....and as far as needing true corners, we got two dang good ones committed for 2015.

Boaz is a freak athlete that might not be "fluid" enough for CB.....and as far as needing true corners, we got two dang good ones committed for 2015.

I thought i read somewhere that the 2 for. 2015 both projected at S. Either way, they can't help us this year.

Here's the Tweet I was talking about:

Mike'l Severe@MikelSevere 2m

You can see the wheels spinning for Joseph. But he looks comforable at S. CJackson is teams best tackler. IMO. Then Rose, Zaire and Gerry.

Perhaps it was a typo.

Since Pelini has been here it is not unusual for him to continue to work dbs at different spots until they know what they have. You can see it in the way guys are listed on the roster. The bulk of underclassmen are generally listed as db and change after a couple years to either S or CB. Very few frosh come in and are listed specifically at one spot or another.

One of the things they used to talk about was how there were a lot of interchangeable parts in the secondary. So a quirk of teaching Bo's defense has been to get players in at all different positions, as it's necessary for them to understand what's going on at all of them.

Jackson said he had not been in the playbook as much as he needed to be during his first couple years here. Credits Ciante Evans for showing him what it takes to be prepared.

Sounds like Jackson has pretty well locked down the Nickel position - for now anyway. Cockrell still working some at Nickel but spending most of his time at Corner. Cockrell has been working with the first unit at CB.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Cockrell has been OK but definitely not standing out so far. Perhaps still adjusting as everyone else has been here quite a bit longer. Mitchell and Rose continue to be the #1 duo at CB with CJax at Nickel. Daniel Davie hopefully back in the mix in the fall.

Mid-Spring analysis via OWH:

Not a while lot of new other than a couple notes that seem to contradict what we've been hearing earlier. It sounded like Cockrell had been playing mostly corner with CJax looking good at Nickel. But this says Cockrell has been working at Safety instead. I don't think that's right. Also, it says Boaz Joeseph has been working at corner when other places said he was working at safety. Perhaps some of those guys are still trying a couple different spots to see where they fit in.