What % of people do you think "lie" on their resume...

I will say that when I am hiring, I am very clear that the job isn't glamorous. So not all employers lie.

Agreed. Part of my interview is to walk them and show them their work area and say, I'm not gonna lie you will work your ass off here and the pay isn't great, but the chance for advancement is excellent and pay becomes much better with that. And then I say, but for that to happen you will have to work your ass off.

I used to work as an undercover guy for a corporate investigations firm and would have to apply and interview for menial jobs in order to get into our clients' facilities. That means I got really good at crafting fake resumes and applications and really good at giving interviews. Of course, I wasn't trying to embellish some sort of fantastic record to get into a high-profile job; I was creating a false background to establish a certain kind of experience. Nothing technical but I still had to fit a certain mold.

I would "invent" small businesses and create my own job description to match whatever cover job I was trying to get into. Then we would set up a pager number or a Trak phone with a specific phone number to basically just wait for one call to come for the reference check. Sometimes I even answered by myself and verified my employment with a company that didn't even exist. Then if I got the interview, I had to tell convincing stories of previous work experiences. Never had an unsuccessful interview (although a couple times we had to get a company president to move my application to the "hire" stack instead of the "reject" stack).

So now when I apply for jobs, my resume is honest (but toned down, I don't include all my cover jobs, just the firm I actually worked for), and it makes for some great stories in my job interview. Of course everyone asks me, "How do we know you aren't undercover right now." I only smile and wink.

I unknowingly lied on my resume for 18 months. When I actually walked for law school graduation, I was recognized as Magna Cum Laude. Of course, it went directly on my next resume. I was excited and I'm sure it helped with subsequent interviews. 18 months later, I learned that second semester 3L grades were recalculated months later. Rankings were shifted around and I dropped to Cum Laude. I didn't know whether I should inform former/current employers. It was a weird situation, I feel like I "lied." Grades are a large part of firm recruiting, so it could have been considered a material misrepresentation.

I unknowingly lied on my resume for 18 months. When I actually walked for law school graduation, I was recognized as Magna Cum Laude. Of course, it went directly on my next resume. I was excited and I'm sure it helped with subsequent interviews. 18 months later, I learned that second semester 3L grades were recalculated months later. Rankings were shifted around and I dropped to Cum Laude. I didn't know whether I should inform former/current employers. It was a weird situation, I feel like I "lied." Grades are a large part of firm recruiting, so it could have been considered a material misrepresentation.

It's not material misrepresentation if it wasn't and couldn't have been known to you at the time that you made the statement. I'd probably inform my current employer but I'm paranoid about this sort of thing. My guess is that they would laugh.

It's not material misrepresentation if it wasn't and couldn't have been known to you at the time that you made the statement. I'd probably inform my current employer but I'm paranoid about this sort of thing. My guess is that they would laugh.

I think it "could" have been known at the time. I don't remember the extent of communication regarding grades post-graduation, but I think I could have looked into it to verify. I guess it could be a negligent misrepresentation if it was a "should of known" type deal. I did end up notifying my current employer. They appreciated my honesty but didn't really care.