Armstrong Leading the QB Race

Good Lord....the kid just finished his freshman year of football and people are already writing him off and wishing someone else was the QB.

Where are these people at? Besides in your head.

OK...how am I supposed to take when an article is posted basically showing that he will be our starting QB next year and most people posting are people that don't think our record will be any better than last year with 4 losses?

Take it however you want, but taking it as "people are already writing him off and wishing someone else was the QB" doesn't seem like a logical conclusion at all. We've had the same record the last 6 years despite all kinds of different quarterbacks.

Why? The thread is about Armstrong being our starting QB. The very first post does nothing other than say "9-4" and other seem to agree. It is completely logical to take that as..."unimpressed and same ol' same ol'". Meaning, not impressed with our starting QB for which this thread is about.

My comment is completely a logical conclusion.

• Fire 1

Why? The thread is about Armstrong being our starting QB. The very first post does nothing other than say "9-4" and other seem to agree. It is completely logical to take that as..."unimpressed and same ol' same ol'". Meaning, not impressed with our starting QB for which this thread is about.

Or meaning, doesn't really matter who starts at quarterback even if they're great since the reasons why we always have 4 losses are bigger than one position.

Granted, I don't know why Tood posted that in the first place and personally think it was out of place, but I really don't think anybody is writing off Armstrong and hoping we have a different quarterback.

Or meaning, doesn't really matter who starts at quarterback even if they're great since the reasons why we always have 4 losses are bigger than one position.

Granted, I don't know why Tood posted that in the first place and personally think it was out of place, but I really don't think anybody is writing off Armstrong and hoping we have a different quarterback.

I am sure Tood was just being funny.

Am I to believe a lot of people honestly thought Stanton was going to be the Nebraska Jameis Winston here?

Wow.

I guess you can believe that if you want but I've seen no one say that.

The semantics game is fun isn't it?

Yes I'm sure no one here actually said verbatim what I said-- but you know just as well as I do that a lot of people here just got hit right in the feels because Stanton didn't just come in and miraculously out perform a more experienced player who's plenty talented in his own right.

• Fire 2

Am I to believe a lot of people honestly thought Stanton was going to be the Nebraska Jameis Winston here?

Wow.

I guess you can believe that if you want but I've seen no one say that.

The semantics game is fun isn't it?

Yes I'm sure no one here actually said verbatim what I said-- but you know just as well as I do that a lot of people here just got hit right in the feels because Stanton didn't just come in and miraculously out perform a more experienced player who's plenty talented in his own right.

This is interesting.

I am disappointed that Stanton didn't come in and out perform or at least make it close to Armstrong. Not because I don't like TA, but because it would show that we have some good QB's that we couldn't go wrong with either way.

Now, if Armstrong were to play terribly for some reason this coming season, and Stanton isn't even close to the level as TA, where does that leave us?

• Fire 1
It would hardly be miraculous or Jameis Winston-esque if Stanton was neck-and-neck with or giving more serious competition to Armstrong. Talk about the semantics game.

Yes it would have.

QB's with no game experience mop up or otherwise, do not come in and press the incumbent, healthy, starter, let alone overtake him, unless he's a natural transcendent star.

I'm not saying Stanton can't be a star, but color me unsurprised he actually needs time and coaching. I hope he gets it.

Armstrong vs Stanton was supposed to be the battle of the titans. It's not (so far). I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that but since it's Spring, I'll take it as a positive. Armstrong's game experience last year by no means guaranteed anything or gave him that much of a leg up. It sounds like it's his mentality that is doing that. And it's good that he still has a lot of skeptics. I'm sure he'll feed positively off that.

Another possibility is that instead of Tommy's stock soaring, it's Johnny's stock plummeting. Which we all hope isn't the case because that's good for nobody.

This is interesting.

I am disappointed that Stanton didn't come in and out perform or at least make it close to Armstrong. Not because I don't like TA, but because it would show that we have some good QB's that we couldn't go wrong with either way.

Now, if Armstrong were to play terribly for some reason this coming season, and Stanton isn't even close to the level as TA, where does that leave us?

Hopefully with a new coach for 2015 for letting his depth and roster management be that poor seven years into his tenure.

It would hardly be miraculous or Jameis Winston-esque if Stanton was neck-and-neck with or giving more serious competition to Armstrong. Talk about the semantics game.

Yes it would have.

QB's with no game experience mop up or otherwise, do not come in and press the incumbent, healthy, starter, let alone overtake him, unless he's a natural transcendent star.

I'm not saying Stanton can't be a star, but color me unsurprised he actually needs time and coaching. I hope he gets it.

TYIKUCPIECRSTYO.20110829183040.JPG

• Fire 2

My take on this is that I'm not surprised TA is being looked at as the starter for next year. He is obviously a very talented football player and the team and coaches view him as a leader.

That doesn't mean that Stanton is a long ways behind him in being able to handle the offense and produce on the field. Yes, there is game experience that gives TA an edge. But, that can be made up by a special player when they are given the chance on the field.

None of that surprises me a bit and it is no knock on Stanton.

NOW....what I am the most impressed with is Ryker Fyfe. This kid from central Nebraska is appearing to go toe to toe with a very highly recruited and decorated recruit out of California. I know personally some fans that basically have mocked his chances of doing anything at Nebraska with both TA and Stanton there. I hope he continues to push those guys as hard as he can and if he ever gets the chance on the field, I hope he tears it up.

Yes it would have.

TYIKUCPIECRSTYO.20110829183040.JPG

Yes, and I'm of the belief a lot of the anti Taylor guys will miss what we had and really took him for granted for most of his time here.

Also, Zac Lee was incredibly injured.

• Fire 1

I have to completely disagree with this. The incumbent has to be really good. At any major program, guys who could be better are coming in almost on a yearly basis. The distance between TA and the pack speaks either to TA's ability to separate himself, or Stanton lagging way behind on his promise. Or a little of both.

I have to completely disagree with this. The incumbent has to be really good. At any major program, guys who could be better are coming in almost on a yearly basis. The distance between TA and the pack speaks either to TA's ability to separate himself, or Stanton lagging way behind on his promise. Or a little of both.

Im not comparing talents here, but look at USC's QB queue during their run.

Palmer to Leinart to Booty to Sanchez......

I'm no Carroll fan, but one of the smartest things he did was keep an incumbent going as long as he could have. Leinart was arguably better than Palmer. I'm pretty confident in college Sanchez was better than Booty. But he kept the machine going, kept continuity, and they never really missed a beat in that dept. Only when Sanchez bolted, too early in Carroll's mind, did they have to go with Barkley as a freshman, and lo and behold, the wheels came undone a little.

Sure they had more weapons, but I'd be willing to wager with Nebraska's current crop of runners, and a capable WR corp, they could pull off something similar.