Armstrong Leading the QB Race

I just hope we have a starting QB by our first game in the fall. We'll look pretty silly if we only send 10 guys out on offense and there's nobody behind center.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that TA is leading the depth chart at QB at this point.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that fans would love to see the QB play improve immensely this coming season, whether that comes from TA or somebody else probably doesn't matter much to most fans. I'm not knocking TA but it's pretty natural to always be hoping for that break-out kid that knocks your socks off.

Yes, exactly. Well said.

Maybe there actually needs to be a real QB coach on staff?

Just like which other schools?

Like the school that it is located in the capital city of a Midwestern state, wears red, has a sellout streak and used to win championships used to.

So ignoring the word "other"?

You know they exist, as do I. Why exactly do I have to jump through some hoop for you when you'll just wave it off anyway?

Maybe there actually needs to be a real QB coach on staff?

Just like which other schools?

I am sure there are plenty of schools with a QB coach and plenty without.

But it would be interesting to see if there is a difference in QB play if we had one versus not.

Actually, there are very few with a dedicated QB coach. Most of them have a combined OC/QB coach.

Is there someplace to look to see just how many other than googling every FBS school? I would just be curious to know the percentages that have them and their level of success at the QB position.

Yeah, I think the number of schools with a dedicated QBs coach is rather on the low side. I don't understand the argument that that is something we're missing. I can understand if you're not a Tim Beck fan, though I'd disagree.

At this point in a guy's career it's pretty hard to mess with a guy's mechanics, anyway. If you get a guy in here who is a disaster as far as mechanics goes, it's likely going to more or less stay that way. But this concern is probably a little overblown. I'm not too sure about Stanton but Tommy has fairly orthodox mechanics, no? Not to say he's a prototypical passer like Brady, but compared to most starting college quarterbacks, his mechanics shouldn't really be an issue. It's going to be more about his decision-making, leadership, and gaming mentality.

Florida State, USC, Virginia, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, and Purdue are just a few schools(not-exhaustive by any means) that I turned up after 5 minutes of googling that had a freshman or new/inexperienced quarterback start over or split time with the experienced returner.

At least 7 miracles in college football in just the last year hallelujah

So 5% of the time it happens every time.

Granted, I don't know why Tood posted that in the first place and personally think it was out of place....

Like >50% of the posts on this forum. You need to come down from your f'ing high horse before someone shoves a meat grinder up your ass. Seriously dude, I hope you do show up to the Tailgate.

/April fools.

Yeah, I think the number of schools with a dedicated QBs coach is rather on the low side. I don't understand the argument that that is something we're missing. I can understand if you're not a Tim Beck fan, though I'd disagree.

At this point in a guy's career it's pretty hard to mess with a guy's mechanics, anyway. If you get a guy in here who is a disaster as far as mechanics goes, it's likely going to more or less stay that way. But this concern is probably a little overblown. I'm not too sure about Stanton but Tommy has fairly orthodox mechanics, no? Not to say he's a prototypical passer like Brady, but compared to most starting college quarterbacks, his mechanics shouldn't really be an issue. It's going to be more about his decision-making, leadership, and gaming mentality.

I don't know if we are missing it or not. But if you look at the success at QB we had when there was a dedicated QB coach(Turner Gill) we had a arguably outstanding QB play. Now that we don't have one-it hasn't been on the same level. Maybe there is a correlation. Maybe there isn't.

For whatever it's worth, I give Johnny Stanton an ever-so-slight edge over walk-on Ryker Fyfe in the race for top backup.

What's that? You expected a heated competition for the starting job?

Sorry, nothing to see here. Move along.

I'd like to report that someone is breathing down projected starter Tommy Armstrong's neck on a daily basis. But the third-year sophomore appears to lead by a comfortable margin.

Fyfe, also a third-year sophomore, says he's "still trying to figure out things." The redshirt freshman Stanton, off-limits to reporters because he hasn't yet appeared in a game, probably would tell you the same.

That said, I thought Stanton looked good in the last scrimmage I saw (March 15). He seemed to gain confidence with almost every play. He has a strong arm. He runs the ball well — a big, raw-boned kid who uses his frame (6-foot-2, 225 pounds) well. He still looks a bit too deliberate in his movements — which is to be expected as he grows into the offense.

Don't overlook the 6-2 Fyfe, a savvy competitor with plenty of athletic ability and confidence.

However, neither Stanton nor Fyfe has Armstrong's presence. Not even close. Watching Armstrong in practice, everything about his body language says, "I'm the man." What's more, he has excellent command of the offense. Fyfe said Armstrong rarely makes mental mistakes.

LJS

Actually Mav, I just heard this today that Fyfe was working with the twos and one's on occasion (moreso than Stanton) at this point. With all the hype that ensued with Stanton, this is a little disheartening in some ways. It don't matter to me who is in there, just put the best player in there and get it done.

Florida State, USC, Virginia, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, and Purdue are just a few schools(not-exhaustive by any means) that I turned up after 5 minutes of googling that had a freshman or new/inexperienced quarterback start over or split time with the experienced returner.

It's a generally rare situation to begin with. I don't know of a quick way to figure it out (maybe Bye Bye Big XII does), but teams don't often find themselves in a situation where their incumbent going into the season was only the starter some of the time and only because of injury, but still enough of the time to have had good experience.

I'd say there's no way more than 25 teams went through that scenario last offseason.

I just hope we have a starting QB by our first game in the fall. We'll look pretty silly if we only send 10 guys out on offense and there's nobody behind center.

you know i respect you, jj, but i gotta disagree. the game of football is about evolution, being ahead of the curve. the qb is an obsolete position. you either force change or you are forced to change. i say we revolutionize football.

• Fire 1

It's a generally rare situation to begin with. I don't know of a quick way to figure it out (maybe Bye Bye Big XII does), but teams don't often find themselves in a situation where their incumbent going into the season was only the starter some of the time and only because of injury, but still enough of the time to have had good experience.

I'd say there's no way more than 25 teams went through that scenario last offseason.

Actually, I would say more than half of the teams would have an incumbent and a freshman/sophomore who was recruited with the idea that he would be capable enough to start. Kinda how it works.

I just am seeing this as some people having this pie in the sky dream that Stanton was going to come in and just be a world beater because he was highly recruited. It doesn't work that way, and it's probably why you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to getting players.

But ultimately it's no big deal, this doesn't mean that Stanton is a wash and can't be great (I am pretty confident he'll be fine, regardless of the red flag that is Fyfe pushing him for time). And I'm ok with Tommy, I mean, all the guy did was was make enough plays as a starter to win a bowl game, something a NU QB hasn't done since 2009. A bowl game that many people here insist was a BIG DEAL and SHOWS WE'RE CLOSE and that BO NEEDS MORE TIME.

But we're supposed to expect four losses because the QB who threw the 99yd td pass in that game is good enough to keep his job. Ok.

This is interesting.

I am disappointed that Stanton didn't come in and out perform or at least make it close to Armstrong. Not because I don't like TA, but because it would show that we have some good QB's that we couldn't go wrong with either way.

Now, if Armstrong were to play terribly for some reason this coming season, and Stanton isn't even close to the level as TA, where does that leave us?

Hopefully with a new coach for 2015 for letting his depth and roster management be that poor seven years into his tenure.

Awesome.

This is interesting.

I am disappointed that Stanton didn't come in and out perform or at least make it close to Armstrong. Not because I don't like TA, but because it would show that we have some good QB's that we couldn't go wrong with either way.

Now, if Armstrong were to play terribly for some reason this coming season, and Stanton isn't even close to the level as TA, where does that leave us?

Hopefully with a new coach for 2015 for letting his depth and roster management be that poor seven years into his tenure.

Awesome.

I do not think that would be awesome. That does not change how I would feel if such a thing would happen.

This is interesting.

Awesome.

Didn't you know the every thread must turn into a Bo sucks he needs to be fired #9wins thread?

• Fire 2
This is interesting.

Awesome.

Didn't you know the every thread must turn into a Bo sucks he needs to be fired #9wins thread?

I'm not the two guys who picked a post out from 30 some odd posts ago and rehashed it.