Armstrong Leading the QB Race

I leave for a couple weeks or more and come back and Polo and Landlord are still at it. I have to say, because it's offseason, I think that this is the sole reason I come back to the board. Just to see what these two are up to.

It's either Mavric posting awesome updates, or Polo and Landlord disagreeing no matter the subject. :snacks: :snacks:

We don't need a QB that is the fastest guy in the field if we can get a 2009 level defense out there. We will need a game manager.

This is a good point. While we would all love to have a Vince Young or Johnny Manziel esque playmaker kind of talent, we really don't need it to get to the place we want to be. I kind of think of (or hope to see) Tommy as being a Zac Lee 2.0 Same mold, just a slight step up. Doesn't have a cannon, not a burner although he can definitely run, will know the offense and what the coaches are asking of him and be happy in his role. We were essentially three single plays away from being 13-1 in 2009 with a decent-turned-mediocre quarterback (due to playing injured) running the helm and taking care of the ball. If our defense can take that next step and Tommy can too, we should have bright days.

On a related note, I rewatched through the Georgia game last night and came away a lot more impressed with his performance than I originally remembered. Nothing that made you go "wow", but more than anything he had really good pocket awareness, didn't have any of those throws that went to nobody, and generally made really good decisions.

Pretty much agree with everything you said, except I hope to God he's better than Zac Lee. That offense was so inept, I got to the point where I couldn't wait until we got our defense back out there. They could atleast get us good field position for a FG, and probably had just as good or better of a chance to put 6 on the board.

I'm sorry but this probably the worst comparison/ analysis of a player I have ever seen. I question whether Zac Lee was an actual D1 QB.

We don't need a QB that is the fastest guy in the field if we can get a 2009 level defense out there. We will need a game manager.

This is a good point. While we would all love to have a Vince Young or Johnny Manziel esque playmaker kind of talent, we really don't need it to get to the place we want to be. I kind of think of (or hope to see) Tommy as being a Zac Lee 2.0 Same mold, just a slight step up. Doesn't have a cannon, not a burner although he can definitely run, will know the offense and what the coaches are asking of him and be happy in his role. We were essentially three single plays away from being 13-1 in 2009 with a decent-turned-mediocre quarterback (due to playing injured) running the helm and taking care of the ball. If our defense can take that next step and Tommy can too, we should have bright days.

On a related note, I rewatched through the Georgia game last night and came away a lot more impressed with his performance than I originally remembered. Nothing that made you go "wow", but more than anything he had really good pocket awareness, didn't have any of those throws that went to nobody, and generally made really good decisions.

Pretty much agree with everything you said, except I hope to God he's better than Zac Lee. That offense was so inept, I got to the point where I couldn't wait until we got our defense back out there. They could atleast get us good field position for a FG, and probably had just as good or better of a chance to put 6 on the board.

I'm sorry but this probably the worst comparison/ analysis of a player I have ever seen. I question whether Zac Lee was an actual D1 QB.

Then you fail to understand the context of what a torn elbow and a HC/OC shutting down an offense do to a quarterback's "sex appeal" factor.

• Fire 2

Then you fail to understand the context of what a torn elbow and a HC/OC shutting down an offense do to a quarterback's "sex appeal" factor.

Man, you don't have to call him ugly.

Armstrong had major accuracy problems last season. Sure he can launch a ball but half of the time it hit grass.

It didn't matter if it was a bomb, a mid range, or short throw. Dude can't hit a guy in the hands. I hope he fixed this.

• Fire 3

I believe his lack of ability played into the shutting down of the offense. At any point of his career I did not see a capable qb for a major D1 team. Tommy is better already.

I believe his lack of ability played into the shutting down of the offense. At any point of his career I did not see a capable qb for a major D1 team. Tommy is better already.

Then the only other solution is that you have very poor eyesight or very poor mental faculties for perceiving quarterback ability.

• Fire 1

I'm just guessing here but I'm sure there are some out there that have been on the "I can't wait till TMart is gone" kick for the last few years. And I'm also sure that some of those same folks are already on on the "Id like to see Stanton play cause I don't think T Armstrong is good enough" bandwagon. There's a name for those people. a$$hole$.

Wow.

How in the hell are some of you saying that Armstrong doesn't posses a strong arm? The guy has a rocket and probably the strongest arm we've seen on this team in a while. Flat out ridiculous and just a way to downplay the kid.

Who cares how strong your arm is if you don't have accuracy and touch. That whole throwing interceptions things tends to be a major problem too.

Guys his name is Arm STRONG.

He's got a cannon. Zac Lee did too. It's too bad he messed up what was it, tendons in his throwing arm three games into his starting career and it derailed the rest of his season. I don't think they are that similar otherwise, though. Lee was capable at making the zone read reads but Tommy has by far the upper hand as a pure runner.

Guys his name is Arm STRONG.

He's got a cannon. Zac Lee did too. It's too bad he messed up what was it, tendons in his throwing arm three games into his starting career and it derailed the rest of his season. I don't think they are that similar otherwise, though. Lee was capable at making the zone read reads but Tommy has by far the upper hand as a pure runner.

I think it's kind of funny regardless since my comparison between the two was more of a flyby by 5,000 feet broad comparison. I was hardly calling them anything close to the same player.