Armstrong Leading the QB Race

Not every running QB is a blazer. Actually, a lot of them are tough, big, inside runners with a good feel for going through traffic and lowering their shoulder. That's what we have in Tommy. He won't sprint past safeties certainly, but he certainly ran with authority. I think guys like Tebow, Stanton, Bubba Starling were/are the same way.

It's not the highlight reels that count, it's the every run and read and pitch. I think the bigger worry would be his decision making in the passing game. Particularly if we do a lot of short throwing, which Beck seems to prefer.

Not every running QB is a blazer. Actually, a lot of them are tough, big, inside runners with a good feel for going through traffic and lowering their shoulder. That's what we have in Tommy. He won't sprint past safeties certainly, but he certainly ran with authority. I think guys like Tebow, Stanton, Bubba Starling were/are the same way.

It's not the highlight reels that count, it's the every run and read and pitch. I think the bigger worry would be his decision making in the passing game. Particularly if we do a lot of short throwing, which Beck seems to prefer.

This. Tebow, Cam, Vince, big guys who ran with authority, ability to make guys miss and get the tougher yards. Frost, Frasier for NU. Not blazers, but got the tough yards. You throw in a healthy dose of Cross that makes DB's less than willing to come and lay the wood and it opens up lanes for a tough running QB like TA. Martinez was a phenomenal crease runner. I have never seen a quicker straight line guy than Martinez, doubt I ever will. BUT, he had no ability to make guys miss or steam roll a guy. TA runs angry. Like he has something to prove. If he can make it to the 2nd level, I feel comfortable in his ability to either make a guy miss or truck him. DB's get hit enough, they might come up to support the run, but they will start whiffing to avoid getting hit.

Lean on the running game. Call PA to open the lanes and get them out of the box. If he can get that long ball down, use the speed of Bell and JT to stretch the field to open the box. Allow TA to manage the game and lean on the RB's. Call high percentage passes that he can do in his sleep. If he can't complete them in practice at a high percentage, trash them. 70% or better (for example) keep them.

Bama has made a living with game managing QB's who get the ball to the RB's, have a handful of high yield passes and don't fumble, take a sack or throw many INT's.

The best way from TA (and the team for that matter) to become more effective on the ground....is for TA to become a better passer. Until we have a guy that can complete 70% and make teams pay for putting 9 in the box there will be certain games we will not be as effective. Taylor sometimes got on a hot streak that made teams pay....but we need someone to do it consistently. TA will be a much more effective runner when there isn't 9 guys within 5 yards of the line.

• Fire 1

The best way from TA (and the team for that matter) to become more effective on the ground....is for TA to become a better passer. Until we have a guy that can complete 70% and make teams pay for putting 9 in the box there will be certain games we will not be as effective. Taylor sometimes got on a hot streak that made teams pay....but we need someone to do it consistently. TA will be a much more effective runner when there isn't 9 guys within 5 yards of the line.

...so, until we have one of the best QBs in college football, we're going to have games where we can't be effective? oh boy, gonna be a long season....

(i'm thinking we should be plenty happy w/ 62-65%)

Stanton may still push for playing time. Crouch didn't start out as the starter either. I think TA will be solid, but why do we need to settle for solid?

I'm willing to settle for solid if it means less turnovers from the quarterback position. I was looking at the UCLA game statistics from last year for a post in another thread, and with a cursory glance I saw that TMart put ball the on the turf twice in the first half. There may have been more or that may have been it, I wasn't looking for turnovers. Fortunately, we got those two back. But, turnovers were a staple of TM's career alongside the electrifying plays.

Obviously, I'd love to have better than solid without the turnovers, though.

Stanton may still push for playing time. Crouch didn't start out as the starter either. I think TA will be solid, but why do we need to settle for solid?

So, what happens when Stanton leaves and goes home b/c he's so broken up about not winning the starting spot?? Does he get the start and TA gets moved to wideout?

The way college athletes are these day I have a small knott in my gut that says we will lose one of these guys before they are Jr's to another school.

It's very possible.

I know you didn't say one way or the other, but personally, I don't have a problem with it. Like if you're feeling pretty confident you could start or get more playing time at another school then I say go for it. You only have a finite amount of years to play ball anyways. Sometimes you gotta be a little selfish.

This. Tebow, Cam, Vince, big guys who ran with authority, ability to make guys miss and get the tougher yards. Frost, Frasier for NU. Not blazers, but got the tough yards. You throw in a healthy dose of Cross that makes DB's less than willing to come and lay the wood and it opens up lanes for a tough running QB like TA. Martinez was a phenomenal crease runner. I have never seen a quicker straight line guy than Martinez, doubt I ever will. BUT, he had no ability to make guys miss or steam roll a guy. TA runs angry. Like he has something to prove. If he can make it to the 2nd level, I feel comfortable in his ability to either make a guy miss or truck him. DB's get hit enough, they might come up to support the run, but they will start whiffing to avoid getting hit.

Lean on the running game. Call PA to open the lanes and get them out of the box. If he can get that long ball down, use the speed of Bell and JT to stretch the field to open the box. Allow TA to manage the game and lean on the RB's. Call high percentage passes that he can do in his sleep. If he can't complete them in practice at a high percentage, trash them. 70% or better (for example) keep them.

Bama has made a living with game managing QB's who get the ball to the RB's, have a handful of high yield passes and don't fumble, take a sack or throw many INT's.

I believe his freshman year he simply twitched a couple degrees inside or outside and outran everyone. No need to make anyone miss when they can't catch you with a head start.

...so, until we have one of the best QBs in college football, we're going to have games where we can't be effective? oh boy, gonna be a long season....

(i'm thinking we should be plenty happy w/ 62-65%)

Sorry I should have said 65%........but I think the point was still conveyed.

I would like to see the "best" guy get the job. I understand and agree with the notion of having someone that "just don't turn the ball over" but that is not going to get us where we need and want to be. We need a guy that will exceed expectations. A guy that can win a game himself. We need another, Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, and so on. We need outstanding play at the QB position, not just solid.

I don't care what Armstrong can do with his legs. Unless he's the second coming of Touchdown Tommie he needs to be able to pass at or near 60%, without throwing picks, or our offense is going to stagnate.

We have a pretty good corps of WR: Bell, Turner, Westerkamp, Allen, Burtch, Moore... all of these guys will be wasted without an effective passing QB.

Maybe it's blasphemy to say at Nebraska, but this offense may need more Zac Taylor than Tommie Frazier. Abdullah, Cross, Newby, Taylor, maybe Wilbon - these guys can handle the load on the ground. If Armstrong any quarterback can't deliver strikes downfield, what good does he do us?

Edited by knapplc
It isn't really about Tommy Armstrong, what I'm getting at holds true for any QB. So edited that last bit.
  • Fire 4