Armstrong Leading the QB Race

TA has the speed, I don't know what the hell people are talking about questioning his speed. The only thing I can think is that they are comparing him to Martinez, and if you compare 99% of the world to Martinez, they will all be slower than him.

Armstrong makes some brilliant throws. Even if they aren't "on target" to some people, mostly I think that analysis is just made by people who don't understand the position. Tommy pits the ball there his guy can get it. Multiple throws he put it in spots where either ournWR would make a play, or it would fall incomplete. BUT IT WOULD NOT BE PICKED OFF. Yes there were some misreads in there that were picked off, maybe some miscommunication with WR's, but that is mental stuff. That can be fixed, that can be learned. As we have come to kow, Becks offense is a bit of a mind---.

TA can stretch plays. He can roll out when needed and still make throws on the run. My favorite thing about him is his pocket presence. The guy is comfortable. Even in his freshman season you couldn't tell me he looked scared. He may have felt it, but he didn't show it. He displays a level of comfort we haven't seen at QB in quite awhile.

I like his passing ability, I like his running ability, I like his command of the offense, and I like that the players respect him as a leader.

Nothing but good things to come from this kid. Just my opinion.

Agreed, mostly. Tommy has enough speed to run QB Beck's offense. I like his leadership skills; he seems to have good command of the offense. He makes great decisions running the option. But I think he needs work on the bolded part. Just sayin...

Armstrong passing 2013 LINK

TDs: 9

Interceptions: 8

No I hear ya. Mistakes were made. I just go back and look at the thought process. I look at some of the things he tried to make work. Maybe some risks he didn't need to take, sure. But then, there's that part of me that likes that he tried it make some of those throws ya know. Confidence. He doesn't hesitate. He makes his reads, he sees the defense and he makes his decision quickly. I don't know it for sure, but I just think the timing is a huge factor. I think hesitation has killed us in the past. Not slamming Martinez or anything, just saying hat I think he was hesitant, a bit too relaxant to let it go sometimes. I don't know. i just put the game on and I just see a lot in that game. Really gets me pumped for this upcoming season.

I'll echo True's sentiments. In hesitant on tommy, but researching the game, I noticed more drops by the WR's than I remembered. Now, some could be attributed to poor throws, but Jamal dropped a sure TD, and there were a couple mid length throws that should have been caught too.

I'll echo True's sentiments. In hesitant on tommy, but researching the game, I noticed more drops by the WR's than I remembered. Now, some could be attributed to poor throws, but Jamal dropped a sure TD, and there were a couple mid length throws that should have been caught too.

The drops happened when TM was behind center, too. They've been a big problem

I don't care what Armstrong can do with his legs. Unless he's the second coming of Touchdown Tommie he needs to be able to pass at or near 60%, without throwing picks, or our offense is going to stagnate.

We have a pretty good corps of WR: Bell, Turner, Westerkamp, Allen, Burtch, Moore... all of these guys will be wasted without an effective passing QB.

Maybe it's blasphemy to say at Nebraska, but this offense may need more Zac Taylor than Tommie Frazier. Abdullah, Cross, Newby, Taylor, maybe Wilbon - these guys can handle the load on the ground. If Armstrong any quarterback can't deliver strikes downfield, what good does he do us?

100% agree.

Yep. He nailed it.

I don't care what Armstrong can do with his legs. Unless he's the second coming of Touchdown Tommie he needs to be able to pass at or near 60%, without throwing picks, or our offense is going to stagnate.

We have a pretty good corps of WR: Bell, Turner, Westerkamp, Allen, Burtch, Moore... all of these guys will be wasted without an effective passing QB.

Maybe it's blasphemy to say at Nebraska, but this offense may need more Zac Taylor than Tommie Frazier. Abdullah, Cross, Newby, Taylor, maybe Wilbon - these guys can handle the load on the ground. If Armstrong any quarterback can't deliver strikes downfield, what good does he do us?

100% agree.

Yep. He nailed it.

Don't care what Armstrong can do with his legs? How can you not care? We just finished watching Taylor Martinez run the zone read every other play for four years now. Beck has made it clear he wants to be able to throw the ball more, but at this point talk is cheap. We have seen wit our own two eyes that in this offense, our QB better be able to run. Now that's not saying he doesn't need to be a passer as well. If anything, Tommie is the first true dual threat we've had. The option could and maybe even should be a big part of his game next year. Why? Because he runs it well, and it works. That's the basics of it for me. 60% completion rate would be nice, but is that 15 for 25 attempts, or is it going to be more like 20 for 35 attempts? How much will we pass? More importantly, how much will we be forced to pass? I have no worries about our running game whatsoever. I like the offensive line this year. Tommie will run the ball and run it well, he's shown that. When we need him to make throws,mi think he will answer that challenge above and beyond most expectations. I just want him to play mistake free, no stupid mistakes or turnovers.

100% agree.

Yep. He nailed it.

Don't care what Armstrong can do with his legs? How can you not care? We just finished watching Taylor Martinez run the zone read every other play for four years now. Beck has made it clear he wants to be able to throw the ball more, but at this point talk is cheap. We have seen wit our own two eyes that in this offense, our QB better be able to run. Now that's not saying he doesn't need to be a passer as well. If anything, Tommie is the first true dual threat we've had. The option could and maybe even should be a big part of his game next year. Why? Because he runs it well, and it works. That's the basics of it for me. 60% completion rate would be nice, but is that 15 for 25 attempts, or is it going to be more like 20 for 35 attempts? How much will we pass? More importantly, how much will we be forced to pass? I have no worries about our running game whatsoever. I like the offensive line this year. Tommie will run the ball and run it well, he's shown that. When we need him to make throws,mi think he will answer that challenge above and beyond most expectations. I just want him to play mistake free, no stupid mistakes or turnovers.

Honest question, were you really blown away by his running ability and watching him run the option last year? I ask because I for one wasn't. Like at all. He didn't look very dual 'threat' to me and he averaged 3 yards a carry when it was all said and done last year. Like some others have said here if we don't see noticeable improvement this year then give someone else a shot just like Armstrong got his last year. This of course falls on good ol' Bo though. Frankly I'd be shocked of Stanton or Fyfe is our starter for any reason other than injury this year if history repeats itself like it generally does year after year under Bo.

Like some others have said here if we don't see noticeable improvement this year then give someone else a shot just like Armstrong got his last year. This of course falls on good ol' Bo though. Frankly I'd be shocked of Stanton or Fyfe is our starter for any reason other than injury this year if history repeats itself like it generally does year after year under Bo.

I feel like there is some kind of alternate reality where some people who post here watch another team that is also called Nebraska, and they're completely a different team but with the same names and coaches with the same names, but for whatever reason when their "fans" visit huskerboard we're all together on the same site.

Because what in the heck are you talking about? We had Ganz for a year, then Lee for a year. Who should have started over Lee that year? Cody Green? lol. Then we had Martinez. Are you one of those weird people who thought/thinks that Martinez sucks? No one in the last four years should have started over Martinez for any reason other than injury. Then when Martinez was injured we had Armstrong and Kellogg both starting. This is pretty much all the opposite of what you've just said.

• Fire 5

Like some others have said here if we don't see noticeable improvement this year then give someone else a shot just like Armstrong got his last year. This of course falls on good ol' Bo though. Frankly I'd be shocked of Stanton or Fyfe is our starter for any reason other than injury this year if history repeats itself like it generally does year after year under Bo.

I feel like there is some kind of alternate reality where some people who post here watch another team that is also called Nebraska, and they're completely a different team but with the same names and coaches with the same names, but for whatever reason when their "fans" visit huskerboard we're all together on the same site.

Because what in the heck are you talking about? We had Ganz for a year, then Lee for a year. Who should have started over Lee that year? Cody Green? lol. Then we had Martinez. Are you one of those weird people who thought/thinks that Martinez sucks? No one in the last four years should have started over Martinez for any reason other than injury. Then when Martinez was injured we had Armstrong and Kellogg both starting. This is pretty much all the opposite of what you've just said.

So we're talking about Zac Lee, Joe Ganz, Cody Green and Taylor Martinez now....

I'll let you run with it... Also no I wasn't on the Taylor Martinez should have started all four years train like yourself but regardless that train has departed. I also have no qualms in admitting that I'm weird sometimes!

So we're talking about Zac Lee, Joe Ganz, Cody Green and Taylor Martinez now....

I'll let you run with it... Also no I wasn't on the Taylor Martinez should have started all four years train like yourself but regardless that train has departed. I also have no qualms in admitting that I'm weird sometimes!

You're the one who brought them up. "Frankly I'd be shocked of Stanton or Fyfe is our starter for any reason other than injury this year if history repeats itself like it generally does year after year under Bo."

• Fire 1

100% agree.

Yep. He nailed it.

That was a bit of hyperbole on my part. Of course I care if he can run (and by all evidence, he can, just fine). All I was getting at is, with the offensive weapons we have, having a running QB is a luxury, not a necessity.

I care more that Ameer, Newby, Cross, Taylor, all those guys can run, than I care about Tommy Armstrong running. Because good thought Tommy may be, running is their specialty.

We need a QB who can, first and foremost, deliver the ball on target and on time to Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, et al. That QB's running ability is completely secondary to that need.

Kenny Bell big on Armstrong: "What you're going to see this year is he's not wide-eyed ... You're going to see a guy that it's slowed down."

I just got finished re-watching the Michigan game from last year. That quote makes almost no sense. TA made a mistake or two in that game; he also showed tremendous patience on that late rally. Very instinctive player. I am extremely interested to see how different this offense looks with him a the helm.

Ole Miss showed Stringfellow something, but it wasn't stats. Cuba Gooding Jr. And Tom Cruise know exactly what Ole Miss showed Stringfellow.

Also, you can't say what an elite WR QE was and in the same paragraph state that Nebraska can't seem to lure elite WR's here. We are doing fine at WR. I love how we put up with TM throwing some horrific passes for four years, but TA has half a season under his belt and already he's held to some sort of higher standard. Gimme a break with that.

Taylor Martinez got ripped to shreds by Nebraska football fans for four years, in a way Tommy Armstrong never has or will experience, and still never had a game as statistically poor as several of Tommy's performances.

That's one of the things that worries me. I think that QE on any other team is a first or second round draft pick this year. He had balls thrown behind him and low and god knows where else all year long and he still had a great year. The guy is a beast at 225 and yet ran a 4.45 40 at the combine. I think Bell's year was greatly affected by our QB situation as well. It is only a matter of time before WRs have enough evidence in front of them to say "I'm not taking my chances in that offense". To be honest I think that is why we have struggled recruiting elite WRs here currently, but I think the caliber of WR that we will be able to recruit is going to keep dropping if we don't show that we will utilize them. I really think that Ole Miss probably showed Stringfellow some of those stats and they got his attention. No proof, but that's what I'd do if I was recruiting him.

There is a lot of misinformation in here man. Our wide receiver recruiting has only gone up in the last 5 years - not only is it not worse than it ever was before that, but it's also not declining. Quincy had a good, not great, year, but he also dropped a hell of a lot of balls. He would never go 1st or 2nd round because he isn't a 1st or 2nd round talent. I'm not sure where your idea that high school receivers are going to start looking at our offense and thinking bad things because it hasn't happened yet after one year of total shutdown mode, four years of Taylor "can't pass" Martinez, and another year of quarterback musical chairs.

Ole Miss showed Stringfellow something, but it wasn't stats. Cuba Gooding Jr. And Tom Cruise know exactly what Ole Miss showed Stringfellow.

Also, you can't say what an elite WR QE was and in the same paragraph state that Nebraska can't seem to lure elite WR's here. We are doing fine at WR. I love how we put up with TM throwing some horrific passes for four years, but TA has half a season under his belt and already he's held to some sort of higher standard. Gimme a break with that.

Taylor Martinez got ripped to shreds by Nebraska football fans for four years, in a way Tommy Armstrong never has or will experience, and still never had a game as statistically poor as several of Tommy's performances.

That's one of the things that worries me. I think that QE on any other team is a first or second round draft pick this year. He had balls thrown behind him and low and god knows where else all year long and he still had a great year. The guy is a beast at 225 and yet ran a 4.45 40 at the combine. I think Bell's year was greatly affected by our QB situation as well. It is only a matter of time before WRs have enough evidence in front of them to say "I'm not taking my chances in that offense". To be honest I think that is why we have struggled recruiting elite WRs here currently, but I think the caliber of WR that we will be able to recruit is going to keep dropping if we don't show that we will utilize them. I really think that Ole Miss probably showed Stringfellow some of those stats and they got his attention. No proof, but that's what I'd do if I was recruiting him.

There is a lot of misinformation in here man. Our wide receiver recruiting has only gone up in the last 5 years - not only is it not worse than it ever was before that, but it's also not declining. Quincy had a good, not great, year, but he also dropped a hell of a lot of balls. He would never go 1st or 2nd round because he isn't a 1st or 2nd round talent. I'm not sure where your idea that high school receivers are going to start looking at our offense and thinking bad things because it hasn't happened yet after one year of total shutdown mode, four years of Taylor "can't pass" Martinez, and another year of quarterback musical chairs.

Wisconsin 2011

Nebraska Passing

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR

T. Martinez 11/22 176 8.0 0 3 27.0

Team 11/22 176 8.0 0 3

• Fire 4