Armstrong Leading the QB Race

I'll give you that what Tommy does best is run option, and he looks better than TM at it. If he were running it in the mid 90s, no doubt he'd be better.

But a couple of things for certain, if he made some of the reads he did last year, mixed in with his turnover problems, he likely never would have seen the field behind center in those offenses.

Not saying that Tommy A will be the second coming of Tommie F, but even the great Frazier made some mistakes his Freshman year. The FSU bowl game in particular was not a thing of beauty. Tommie turned out all right, though.

Soooo.....the coaches are supposed to stop recruiting top receivers?

I have no idea how this conclusion comes from anything zoogies and/or I wrote. For my part, of course we should continue to recruit top WRs. But we MUST recruit QBs that can effectively deliver them the ball, then utilize those WRs enough to justify them returning here. What I'm saying is, we know we have a hell of a stable of RBs. Do we need a QB that can run (as zoogies points out, the philosophy is make them cover 11/11), or do we need an O Line that can block like hell, and a QB who can deliver strikes downfield? I'm thinking that with guys like we have at WR, a QB's running ability is not a priority, especially when you have a potential Heisman candidate at RB right now.

We were 95th in the country in Passing Offense last year, 88th the year before that, 104th the year before that, 113th the year before that. We have the WRs to improve on that dramatically. Do we have the arm in that group of QBs? If so, is it Armstrong? That's all I'm asking.

If it is Tommy Armstrong, and he can run the ground game effectively, too, then great! we've hit the jackpot. If Tommy is just OK in the passing game, say around 50% completion and 3:1 TD/INT ratio, we're wasting the talent we have at the wideout positions.

We have weapons at every position in this offense. There is no reason why we can't utilize them all. If Armstrong can improve on reading defense and in turn cut down on turn overs, that would really really make this offense cause DCs to not sleep well.

The only reason we wouldn't be able to utilize them all is if our QB can't pass well enough to keep a healthy passing game. If we can't, those WRs are wasted. That's all I'm saying. And that's not a denunciation of Tommy, it's a commentary on the kind of QB we're recruiting and playing under this regime. I'd take a healthy Taylor Martinez back for another four years in a heartbeat, but the reality is that, even with his better-than-Nebraska-normal passing percentage, we still put up those numbers listed above throughout his career. And we had some pretty good WRs in that era.

I got that from this comment.

It seems like we're getting pieces for an offense we don't run, or at least don't run consistently.

If I misunderstood what you are saying then that's my fault.

I think we are saying the same thing when you read the main paragraph of my post. We obviously need a QG that can throw the ball. What we don't know is if that is Armstrong or not. What I'm saying is that I'm not at the point of saying he isn't "that guy" like some are (not you). We don't know and I'm guessing we will see a big improvement this year. Will it be enough? Who knows but it will be fun finding out.

I'll give you that what Tommy does best is run option, and he looks better than TM at it. If he were running it in the mid 90s, no doubt he'd be better.But a couple of things for certain, if he made some of the reads he did last year, mixed in with his turnover problems, he likely never would have seen the field behind center in those offenses.

Not saying that Tommy A will be the second coming of Tommie F, but even the great Frazier made some mistakes his Freshman year. The FSU bowl game in particular was not a thing of beauty. Tommie turned out all right, though.

While true, iirc Frazier had a better ypc average and didn't turn the ball over as much as Armstrong.

Soooo.....the coaches are supposed to stop recruiting top receivers?

I have no idea how this conclusion comes from anything zoogies and/or I wrote. For my part, of course we should continue to recruit top WRs. But we MUST recruit QBs that can effectively deliver them the ball, then utilize those WRs enough to justify them returning here. What I'm saying is, we know we have a hell of a stable of RBs. Do we need a QB that can run (as zoogies points out, the philosophy is make them cover 11/11), or do we need an O Line that can block like hell, and a QB who can deliver strikes downfield? I'm thinking that with guys like we have at WR, a QB's running ability is not a priority, especially when you have a potential Heisman candidate at RB right now.

We were 95th in the country in Passing Offense last year, 88th the year before that, 104th the year before that, 113th the year before that. We have the WRs to improve on that dramatically. Do we have the arm in that group of QBs? If so, is it Armstrong? That's all I'm asking.

If it is Tommy Armstrong, and he can run the ground game effectively, too, then great! we've hit the jackpot. If Tommy is just OK in the passing game, say around 50% completion and 3:1 TD/INT ratio, we're wasting the talent we have at the wideout positions.

We have weapons at every position in this offense. There is no reason why we can't utilize them all. If Armstrong can improve on reading defense and in turn cut down on turn overs, that would really really make this offense cause DCs to not sleep well.

The only reason we wouldn't be able to utilize them all is if our QB can't pass well enough to keep a healthy passing game. If we can't, those WRs are wasted. That's all I'm saying. And that's not a denunciation of Tommy, it's a commentary on the kind of QB we're recruiting and playing under this regime. I'd take a healthy Taylor Martinez back for another four years in a heartbeat, but the reality is that, even with his better-than-Nebraska-normal passing percentage, we still put up those numbers listed above throughout his career. And we had some pretty good WRs in that era.

That's one of the things that worries me. I think that QE on any other team is a first or second round draft pick this year. He had balls thrown behind him and low and god knows where else all year long and he still had a great year. The guy is a beast at 225 and yet ran a 4.45 40 at the combine. I think Bell's year was greatly affected by our QB situation as well. It is only a matter of time before WRs have enough evidence in front of them to say "I'm not taking my chances in that offense". To be honest I think that is why we have struggled recruiting elite WRs here currently, but I think the caliber of WR that we will be able to recruit is going to keep dropping if we don't show that we will utilize them. I really think that Ole Miss probably showed Stringfellow some of those stats and they got his attention. No proof, but that's what I'd do if I was recruiting him.

Ole Miss showed Stringfellow something, but it wasn't stats. Cuba Gooding Jr. And Tom Cruise know exactly what Ole Miss showed Stringfellow.

Also, you can't say what an elite WR QE was and in the same paragraph state that Nebraska can't seem to lure elite WR's here. We are doing fine at WR. I love how we put up with TM throwing some horrific passes for four years, but TA has half a season under his belt and already he's held to some sort of higher standard. Gimme a break with that.

• Fire 1

When I say elite I mean projection wise, not where they end up. I thought Enunwa was a steal at the time we got him, but he was not receiving the kind of offers he should have. I'm talking about not having to always find that under the radar guy. I think eventually to become one of the elite teams you have to be able to go head to head with some of the big boys and win, and we just haven't been able to do that at the wide receiver positon.

As far as the "Gimme a break with that" part, I didn't blame TA. I said QB situation for a reason. Martinez hurt, TA thrust in a starting role as a RS Fresh. I know he is a first year QB. I just stated I am worried that their will be effects from the mounting statistics on our wide receiver usage. We have landed at least a few very highly regarded players at every position except for WR during Pelini's Tenure. There is a reason for that. Say what you will, I have no doubt coaches make sure to point out our receiving stats in a tight recruiting battle.

I am, however, not going to argue that Stringfellow wasn't shown some extra incentives at ole' Mi$$, but that doesn't mean they didn't use some negative recruiting as well.

I'll give you that what Tommy does best is run option, and he looks better than TM at it. If he were running it in the mid 90s, no doubt he'd be better.But a couple of things for certain, if he made some of the reads he did last year, mixed in with his turnover problems, he likely never would have seen the field behind center in those offenses.

While true, iirc Frazier had a better ypc average and didn't turn the ball over as much as Armstrong.

now this is a statement to truly laugh about. you are trying to compare two teams from two different eras straight across. the gap in talent between them is being completely ignored and i dont think you would find anyone that watches college football that TF received vastly superior coaching. so basically your post is pointless to what is being said about TA being good in an option based offense.

Alright I'm gonna be blunt. I walked in the door from work, damn hot day.......cracked a beer and said to hell with the gym tonight. Went ahead and put on the Georgia - Nebraska bowl game from last year.....just really needing some damn football, and I gotta say......

I CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH TOMMY ARMSTRONG HUSH THESE DOUBTERS. THE MAN IS FOR REAL.

Alright I'm gonna be blunt. I walked in the door from work, damn hot day.......cracked a beer and said to hell with the gym tonight. Went ahead and put on the Georgia - Nebraska bowl game from last year.....just really needing some damn football, and I gotta say......

What part of 6-14 enthused you so much?

I was more enthused by the number 2.

Watching the game with my own 2 eyes.

And the 2 of deeznutz y'all haters gonna be bowing down to after Armsteong lights it up this year.

• Fire 1

And the 2 of deeznutz y'all haters gonna be bowing down to after Armsteong lights it up this year.

I wasn't attacking you, just wondering what had you so enthused. Also are you Mike Welch?

I wasn't attacking you, just wondering what had you so enthused. Also are you Mike Welch?

No, I know. I wasn't attacking you either, just having fun talking some smack. Just really think the kid is gonna be badass. Also, no I'm not Mike Welch. That dude is a bit too all over the place for me. He gets lost in his own thoughts sometimes. I like to think I'm a bit more eloquent, not quite as over reactive (close though), and a touch more intelligent than him. I do listen to him once in awhile though.

TA has the speed, I don't know what the hell people are talking about questioning his speed. The only thing I can think is that they are comparing him to Martinez, and if you compare 99% of the world to Martinez, they will all be slower than him.

Armstrong makes some brilliant throws. Even if they aren't "on target" to some people, mostly I think that analysis is just made by people who don't understand the position. Tommy pits the ball there his guy can get it. Multiple throws he put it in spots where either ournWR would make a play, or it would fall incomplete. BUT IT WOULD NOT BE PICKED OFF. Yes there were some misreads in there that were picked off, maybe some miscommunication with WR's, but that is mental stuff. That can be fixed, that can be learned. As we have come to kow, Becks offense is a bit of a mind---.

TA can stretch plays. He can roll out when needed and still make throws on the run. My favorite thing about him is his pocket presence. The guy is comfortable. Even in his freshman season you couldn't tell me he looked scared. He may have felt it, but he didn't show it. He displays a level of comfort we haven't seen at QB in quite awhile.

I like his passing ability, I like his running ability, I like his command of the offense, and I like that the players respect him as a leader.

Nothing but good things to come from this kid. Just my opinion.

• Fire 1

TA has the speed, I don't know what the hell people are talking about questioning his speed. The only thing I can think is that they are comparing him to Martinez, and if you compare 99% of the world to Martinez, they will all be slower than him.

Armstrong makes some brilliant throws. Even if they aren't "on target" to some people, mostly I think that analysis is just made by people who don't understand the position. Tommy pits the ball there his guy can get it. Multiple throws he put it in spots where either ournWR would make a play, or it would fall incomplete. BUT IT WOULD NOT BE PICKED OFF. Yes there were some misreads in there that were picked off, maybe some miscommunication with WR's, but that is mental stuff. That can be fixed, that can be learned. As we have come to kow, Becks offense is a bit of a mind---.

TA can stretch plays. He can roll out when needed and still make throws on the run. My favorite thing about him is his pocket presence. The guy is comfortable. Even in his freshman season you couldn't tell me he looked scared. He may have felt it, but he didn't show it. He displays a level of comfort we haven't seen at QB in quite awhile.

I like his passing ability, I like his running ability, I like his command of the offense, and I like that the players respect him as a leader.

You're like the anti MO Husker, I wonder if you two met, would the universe implode?

Agreed, mostly. Tommy has enough speed to run QB Beck's offense. I like his leadership skills; he seems to have good command of the offense. He makes great decisions running the option. But I think he needs work on the bolded part. Just sayin...

Armstrong passing 2013 LINK

TDs: 9

Interceptions: 8