Armstrong Leading the QB Race

I have a feeling this could be T-Mart 2.0...

He hits a hot streak, and you'll get the f*ck Martinez crowd chiming in, and if he has a bad stretch, you'll hear from the he'll never be better than Martinez crowd chiming in...

I just hope he's learned from his experiences, and builds off of that. I get worried that sometimes he'll go into "I have to win this myself mode" when the chips are down and gets impatient...

He hits a hot streak, and you'll get the f*ck Martinez crowd chiming in, and if he has a bad stretch, you'll hear from the he'll never be better than Martinez crowd chiming in...

I just hope he's learned from his experiences, and builds off of that. I get worried that sometimes he'll go into "I have to win this myself mode" when the chips are down and gets impatient...

I don't expect him to be as good as Martinez, but I also don't expect him to be as divisive.

Armstrong will be a successful QB if he can figure out how to limit his turnovers (a huge downside of his) and use his legs to extend plays. We don't need a QB that is the fastest guy in the field if we can get a 2009 level defense out there. We will need a game manager. I just hope he worked on accuracy during the offseason. It's not fun watching him constantly make bad throws on short passes.

We don't need a QB that is the fastest guy in the field if we can get a 2009 level defense out there. We will need a game manager.

This is a good point. While we would all love to have a Vince Young or Johnny Manziel esque playmaker kind of talent, we really don't need it to get to the place we want to be. I kind of think of (or hope to see) Tommy as being a Zac Lee 2.0 Same mold, just a slight step up. Doesn't have a cannon, not a burner although he can definitely run, will know the offense and what the coaches are asking of him and be happy in his role. We were essentially three single plays away from being 13-1 in 2009 with a decent-turned-mediocre quarterback (due to playing injured) running the helm and taking care of the ball. If our defense can take that next step and Tommy can too, we should have bright days.

On a related note, I rewatched through the Georgia game last night and came away a lot more impressed with his performance than I originally remembered. Nothing that made you go "wow", but more than anything he had really good pocket awareness, didn't have any of those throws that went to nobody, and generally made really good decisions.

• Fire 1

he won't be a "take it to the house" guy like TM, but he will leg out some first downs and scramble pretty well, what i do expect is he will be a better passer than TM and manage the game better, avoiding turnovers...and that should be good enough.

We don't need a QB that is the fastest guy in the field if we can get a 2009 level defense out there. We will need a game manager.

This is a good point. While we would all love to have a Vince Young or Johnny Manziel esque playmaker kind of talent, we really don't need it to get to the place we want to be. I kind of think of (or hope to see) Tommy as being a Zac Lee 2.0 Same mold, just a slight step up. Doesn't have a cannon, not a burner although he can definitely run, will know the offense and what the coaches are asking of him and be happy in his role. We were essentially three single plays away from being 13-1 in 2009 with a decent-turned-mediocre quarterback (due to playing injured) running the helm and taking care of the ball. If our defense can take that next step and Tommy can too, we should have bright days.

On a related note, I rewatched through the Georgia game last night and came away a lot more impressed with his performance than I originally remembered. Nothing that made you go "wow", but more than anything he had really good pocket awareness, didn't have any of those throws that went to nobody, and generally made really good decisions.

Pretty much agree with everything you said, except I hope to God he's better than Zac Lee. That offense was so inept, I got to the point where I couldn't wait until we got our defense back out there. They could atleast get us good field position for a FG, and probably had just as good or better of a chance to put 6 on the board.

Hey I was a big fan of Zac Lee. Stop me if youve heard this before but he wouldve had a much better Junior year if he wasnt injured. Guy made some clutch plays that year. Overall the offensive unit was so far beyond one dimensional that if we didnt have a 50 yd FG kicker we couldve lost a few more games. That says something considering we had the best defense in the country.

• Fire 1

he won't be a "take it to the house" guy like TM, but he will leg out some first downs and scramble pretty well, what i do expect is he will be a better passer than TM and manage the game better, avoiding turnovers...and that should be good enough.

That seems to be a reasonable assessment. I agree. And, if we are right and Tommy simply plays a self-contained, relatively error free game getting the ball to the play-makers then NU's offense will be fine (and largely how fine will more be an OL issue at that point). NU does not need a QB to be THE guy... just a solid distributor who does not turn the ball over. I hope and I think Tommy can do that.

That seems to be a reasonable assessment. I agree. And, if we are right and Tommy simply plays a self-contained, relatively error free game getting the ball to the play-makers then NU's offense will be fine (and largely how fine will more be an OL issue at that point). NU does not need a QB to be THE guy... just a solid distributor who does not turn the ball over. I hope and I think Tommy can do that.

I think we all want some one who does two things, and does them both well...

Make good decisions, and be reliable...

The one big improvement from Tommy Armstrong since last season, according to Beck: Less often is NU’s top quarterback making multiple mistakes on the same play. Last year, Armstrong would read the defense incorrectly — and still throw the ball into traffic, anyway. Not so much of that lately. … Beck likes Armstrong’s demeanor, too. “He still has that ‘it’ factor in the huddle that maybe separates himself from the other guys,” Beck said.

OWH