Armstrong Leading the QB Race

Nope not ignoring at all In fact that is exactly what I was talking about. People didn't give him a chance then under what was a pretty damn hard way to get the starting(part time) position as a Freshmen. And now after one practice it seems people want to see a new guy because he threw one pick? Crazy SMDH. But, like I said, if he gets beat out by one of the others then so be it, but for the love of God at least give him a chance.

1. He was given plenty of chances/passes, can't count the number of times I saw "He's a FR thrown into playing time due to injury" and that was fair/warranted.

2. Your post is literally the only place I have seen this, so not sure where that came from.

3. Again, how are people not giving him a chance? Or did you mean not to express concerned thoughts?

I agree with that 100%. There's really only one way he doesn't open up as the starter. It's more the fourth sentence that worries me. Not so much before the first game but after the first few.

Many thought that when T-Mart came out of nowhere. Most of these QB's on the roster have had hundreds/thousands of reps more than Taylor before he started fall practice his RFR season. When it comes to QB, you never know with Bo. Tommy might be the better QB, but if there's a better athlete than him on the roster...I wouldn't count him out.

Difference is Tommy is young and has the potential to be a great QB. Zach Lee wasn't and didn't. Taylor took advantage of an opportunity that isn't the same as what is going on now.

I think the concerns are valid. Tommy is a really promising player, but he's young and this is a pivotal time in his career. Does he make the jump, or fizzle? This time next year, if Tommy does it right, it won't even be a question. Until then, all eyes are going to be on his performance, fair or not.

This is the part that does worry me:

It will be very hard for anyone not named Tommy Armstrong to open Aug. 30 under center. There just aren’t enough opportunities for the other quarterbacks to make a move. The majority of the repetitions with the first-team offense need to go with the guy who’s going to be “the guy.”

We were told it was going to be an all-out brawl for the starting position. Now, that's fine if either Johnny is so far behind or if Tommy has become such a revelation. If not, though, where's the competition? Throwing all resources behind the #1 guy sounds good, except it crucially takes away from the sense of competition that even the best need to stay on top of their game. This wasn't the case in Spring and it isn't now. I wish that Tommy had a fierce battle on his hands to decisively win, and it makes me uneasy about his chances that he hasn't had that.

Heck, even if Johnny is substantially behind -- open it up, coach. Make him sweat and earn it.

That part kinda brought me up short, too. But then I remembered that Martinez was a WR heading into Fall Camp in 2010 and worked his way into the starting lineup, and I figured maybe this was written quick to meet a deadline, and may not be an opinion all the media shares.

I would like to see someone comment on the backup QBs - how they look, how's their timing, do they seem to have a grasp of the offense, that stuff.

I personally thought Fyfe looked as good or better than Armstrong or Stanton in the Spring Game, but we've all seen those Spring Game Heroes that never amount to anything come Fall. Really hard to tell.

I think the concerns are valid. Tommy is a really promising player, but he's young and this is a pivotal time in his career. Does he make the jump, or fizzle? This time next year, if Tommy does it right, it won't even be a question. Until then, all eyes are going to be on his performance, fair or not.

It will be very hard for anyone not named Tommy Armstrong to open Aug. 30 under center. There just aren’t enough opportunities for the other quarterbacks to make a move. The majority of the repetitions with the first-team offense need to go with the guy who’s going to be “the guy.”

We were told it was going to be an all-out brawl for the starting position. Now, that's fine if either Johnny is so far behind or if Tommy has become such a revelation. If not, though, where's the competition? Throwing all resources behind the #1 guy sounds good, except it crucially takes away from the sense of competition that even the best need to stay on top of their game. This wasn't the case in Spring and it isn't now. I wish that Tommy had a fierce battle on his hands to decisively win, and it makes me uneasy about his chances that he hasn't had that.

Heck, even if Johnny is substantially behind -- open it up, coach. Make him sweat and earn it.

From what I've read, it's not that it's not an open competition, it's just that Stanton and Fyfe are not taking the job away. From this spring, Stanton was still figuring out the offense. It sounded like when he could drop back and hit his first read, he was accurate and on time. But he struggled when he had to go through his progressions. He is said to be the best "technician" (i.e., footwork, etc.) of the group but need to get the mental side down. Armstrong has been here an extra year and obviously has gotten a lot more practice and game reps over the last year. I think Stanton can push TA, but he's still a work in progress as well.

Well for one warrior I wasn't saying it wasn't fair that he was put in that position last year, but people saying he is not good just because of that is inaccurate.

My post wasn't based on the exact words, but more a number of comments about how he isn't up to par.

I guess I already told you the rest so if you want to look through muddy glasses then be my guest. I just would rather see him in action before rushing to an unwarranted judgment.

That part kinda brought me up short, too. But then I remembered that Martinez was a WR heading into Fall Camp in 2010 and worked his way into the starting lineup, and I figured maybe this was written quick to meet a deadline, and may not be an opinion all the media shares.

I would like to see someone comment on the backup QBs - how they look, how's their timing, do they seem to have a grasp of the offense, that stuff.

I personally thought Fyfe looked as good or better than Armstrong or Stanton in the Spring Game, but we've all seen those Spring Game Heroes that never amount to anything come Fall. Really hard to tell.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I remember him playing quarterback in the spring leading up to that. People thought "whoa that kid is a good athlete!" but didn't really take the notion any further than that.

Yeah, I'm ready to move on to Stanton, or Fyfe, or Darlington.

I'm not expecting this year be any better than last,so I say build for the next couple of years when the team is more experienced. We won't be winning a CCG with TA at QB, let's move on.

louisckwow.jpg

Right after I posted multiple times about how we are keeping an open mind and giving him a chance...Ultimate face to palm.

• Fire 1

Well for one warrior I wasn't saying it wasn't fair that he was put in that position last year, but people saying he is not good just because of that is inaccurate.

My post wasn't based on the exact words, but more a number of comments about how he isn't up to par.

I guess I already told you the rest so if you want to look through muddy glasses then be my guest. I just would rather see him in action before rushing to an unwarranted judgment.

Guess I am not seeing and hearing the criticizing to the level that you are. Oh well, agree to disagree.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I remember him playing quarterback in the spring leading up to that. People thought "whoa that kid is a good athlete!" but didn't really take the notion any further than that.

Martinez was one of three QBs who (at least according to reports) split reps all through spring ball and fall camp. Martinez wasn't announced as the starter until just before he started making long TD runs.

• Fire 1