Armstrong Leading the QB Race

I am telling you, with the receivers we have, putting a QB under center who can't throw an accurate ball, whose completion percentage is below 60%, is insane. If Fyfe is that guy, put him out there, let the RBs take care of the running game, and give your opponents something to worry about in both areas.Maybe Tommy is doing fine passing, and maybe he'll be cutting up defenses on the Option and it'll be just fine. But if we're sacrificing a passing game in favor of an Option attack, with the stable of running backs we have, it'll be a flat-out criminal offense.

Prepare for a server crash if a walk-on beats out a guy who started 8 games the previous year and an Elite 11 recruit.

#recruitmorenebraskakids

Are you serious? By this logic you seem to be saying that there no discernible difference between a freshman and a 5th-year senior. Like all that time you spend in the weight room, the film room, the practice field, and The Field is so much pointless nonsense.

100% serious. But you're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that with all of talk we've heard about how much TA has progressed, from the limited access us fans have, it seems like total lip service. I'm also saying that there is nothing I have seen out of him that gives me any reason to believe that he'll be anything more than a guy taking snaps.

And what does Tommie Frazier have to do with anything? Is that our automatic standard for comparison--one of the greatest college quarterbacks in the history of the game (on the best team, coached by a legend)? And we're going to make that comparison based off apprx. 1/2 of one Rs. freshman season?

Believe me,I'm not the one who has said that TA "looks like another Tommie running the option" or that he "displays the leadership and intangibles of another Tommie."

I'm just saying that when we look at TAs place in Husker history, he'll not be thought of in the same category of Frazier, Gill, or Crouch. He'll be thought of in the category of Mickey Joseph and Mike Grant.

Well, okay I suppose. I've never made a comparison between Tommy Armstrong and Tommie Frazier. Armstrong did show moments of incredible patience while running the option, but that's not enough on its own to make you a virtuoso. I still don't see your argument that we've seen all we'll see, or how anyone could predict TA's career based off the situation that's played itself out so far. I think even if you end up being right it'll basically amount to a good guess.

You're right, and I hope I'm wrong about Tommy. Nothing I saw last year or so far this year leads me to be very optimistic. Time will tell.

I'm just sort of wondering if this thread is going to be fifty pages long, an updated drama with every pick or long bomb? I thought the team didn't even put on pads until today, correct?

Maybe we should, I dunno, wait for the whole fall camp to play itself out and watch a scrimmage or two before we create a QB controversy from thin air.

• Fire 1

You're right, and I hope I'm wrong about Tommy. Nothing I saw last year or so far this year leads me to be very optimistic. Time will tell.

i guess i just wonder what you expected from him?

i was pretty impressed with him. thought he showed a lot of promise. a lot of natural ability and good pocket presence. his short comings seem to be common for freshman qbs.

• Fire 3

Maybe he's prone to hyperbole, but I don't know how it would serve his interests to be intentionally wrong.

Think Fox News.

Again, maybe. I'm not necessarily disagreeing.... but also not agreeing. I don't think you can take any one person's word as gospel on these things, but couple Severe's comments with the player comments about Fife, and it gives it a bit of credence. Obviously time will tell, but for us folks starving for scraps of info from camp, as I said: It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence about Armstrong. That's not to say things can't change, but three days into camp and no one seems to have given him praise for his work (that I've seen). So far everyone just seems to be saying "It's still early". And it is... but as Bruce Springsteen has said "It's still early, but it's getting late."

I'm just sort of wondering if this thread is going to be fifty pages long, an updated drama with every pick or long bomb? I thought the team didn't even put on pads until today, correct?

Maybe we should, I dunno, wait for the whole fall camp to play itself out and watch a scrimmage or two before we create a QB controversy from thin air.

That's Crazy talk right there!!!

I don't think we have a QB controversy at all. We just happen to be in a much better position with QB depth. Look where we were last year when Martinez got hurt. Armstrong is the favorite to start. I trust the coaches to put the best kid out there to start for the team.

I am telling you, with the receivers we have, putting a QB under center who can't throw an accurate ball, whose completion percentage is below 60%, is insane. If Fyfe is that guy, put him out there, let the RBs take care of the running game, and give your opponents something to worry about in both areas.Maybe Tommy is doing fine passing, and maybe he'll be cutting up defenses on the Option and it'll be just fine. But if we're sacrificing a passing game in favor of an Option attack, with the stable of running backs we have, it'll be a flat-out criminal offense.

Prepare for a server crash if a walk-on beats out a guy who started 8 games the previous year and an Elite 11 recruit.

And a complete meltdown if we're closer to 50/50 run pass and not doing it the "Nebraska Way" i.e. run the damn ball.

People forget that TA's redshirt year, he was injured and didn't get many reps, and was expecting not to play last year except in mop-up duty, and all of a sudden, he was thrown into the mix after hardly practicing with the 1st string offense at all.

Even with all of that, he showed flashes of what he can do in the option game, and throwing the deep ball. Now, if he can get a better mental grasp on the offense and become more proficient at throwing the ball between 5-15 yards, he'll be in great shape to lead this offense. Holding onto the ball will also need to be a point of emphasis, obviously.

Even with all of that, he showed flashes of what he can do in the option game, and throwing the deep ball. Now, if he can get a better mental grasp on the offense and become more proficient at throwing the ball between 5-15 yards, he'll be in great shape to lead this offense. Holding onto the ball will also need to be a point of emphasis, obviously.

So he's pretty good at 10-15% of what we need from a QB this year and needs work on the other 85%. I can agree with that.

• Fire 1

So he's pretty good at 10-15% of what we need from a QB this year and needs work on the other 85%. I can agree with that.

Every QB Including Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Luck still work to be more proficient at every area of their game.

The point is that given the circumstances that TA stepped into, how much can someone possibly expect? I find it hysterical that a message board filled with people who have probably never played the game (or any sport) at a high level continue to criticize 18-24 year old young men over every nit-picky thing that they can find.

How about we wait and see the product on the field and give them undivided support instead of tearing them down before they even begin.

• Fire 2

15%? That's rather harsh. I think that covers about the entirety of our running operation, and the hammer portion of our pass attack.

I love a good passing offense, but our staff shows no indication at all of a sudden metamorphosis. If we had a savvy field general who can dissect defenses, and a terrific OL to lean on, and a sophisticated route tree, then sure, but that'd be pretty shocking. Without that, all of our receiving talent? Wasted anyway.

The option is varying the run game and it's something that makes the rest of it go. The deep ball makes use of our vertical threat receivers and adds a dimension that again helps the rest of the offense go (I would say some of our slot WR talent goes to waste, but you can't have everything). These two things keep the defense honest and unless we're about to install a deadly spread pass or West Coast game in one fall camp, they're absolutely critical to our offense's chances for success this year.

The point is that given the circumstances that TA stepped into, how much can someone possibly expect? I find it hysterical that a message board filled with people who have probably never played the game (or any sport) at a high level continue to criticize 18-24 year old young men over every nit-picky thing that they can find.

Do you have to have played QB at the college level to understand what a good college QB looks like? Do you have to have played on a Super Bowl winning team to coach one? I never played in the NFL, but I know Tom Brady is better than Alex Smith. Am I allowed to make that claim?