Armstrong Leading the QB Race

What'd offensive coordinator Tim Beck tell Fyfe he wanted him to work on coming out of spring?

"First of all, he said you got to get bigger, put on a little more size, get a little bit faster," Fyfe said. "He said just get in your playbook, understand the signals so you can go out there ... and process it quicker all on the field. I feel like I'm doing a better job with that, just seeing coverage and making the right read. The game slows down when you do that."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/article_d01e9e92-1e72-11e4-9899-0019bb2963f4.html

Not to criticize or promote any of the QB's... Just a few things, maybe being overlooked, to offer for thought.

The "Beck Factor".. Beck's ideal for a QB is probably not Tommie Frazier, more likely it's Todd Reesing from KU glory days. A QB who can make all the throws, in or out of the pocket, with a finger in his eye and a rock in his shoe, and yet still take off running if it's there.

Opponents are obviously going to scheme to stop our run game, leaving potential for the passing game. This gets Beck excited to "take what they're giving us" and start slinging it around. If our QB isn't able to keep up with Beck's play calling, we go 3 &out and fall behind in the possession game. Then you get Beck afterwards saying "all the calls were there, we just didn't make a play", think Minnesota 2013.

I just hope we put our most accurate passer under center to guard against Beck getting too clever for our own good. With the stable of running backs we have now we should be solid whether we run the option or not.

• Fire 1

Sounds like all the QBs fared better today but here's a couple nuggets via OWH:

SEEN: Quarterback Ryker Fyfe dropping his throwing motion down to sidearm to fit in a pass.

SEEN: More deep, textbook spirals from the arm of Johnny Stanton. For the second consecutive day the redshirt freshman quarterback has thrown the tightest, on-target passes in the scrimmage portion of practice. One highlight-worthy throw went about 60 yards to a well-covered Husker receiver who had it knocked from his grip.

SEEN: Quarterback Ryker Fyfe dropping his throwing motion down to sidearm to fit in a pass.

SEEN: More deep, textbook spirals from the arm of Johnny Stanton. For the second consecutive day the redshirt freshman quarterback has thrown the tightest, on-target passes in the scrimmage portion of practice. One highlight-worthy throw went about 60 yards to a well-covered Husker receiver who had it knocked from his grip.

Then why didn't anyone mention Stanton yesterday if he was throwing the best passes in the scrimmage....

Then why didn't anyone mention Stanton yesterday if he was throwing the best passes in the scrimmage....

He is struggling with the mental aspect. He was injured for some/most of camp last year. It has been well noted he might have the best footwork/mechanics of the 3 but struggles if his initial read isn't there....something most RSFR can struggle with. Give him time.

I'm never going to be not amazed how quickly some assess a QB at Nebraska as opposed to other things.

HAHAHAHA!

"Give Bo more time, he's a young coach. He's making changes, addressing issues." (after 6 years)

...same guy the next day...

"TA is done, I'm on to a new QB" (after 1 practice)

I'm just sort of wondering if this thread is going to be fifty pages long, an updated drama with every pick or long bomb? I thought the team didn't even put on pads until today, correct?

Maybe we should, I dunno, wait for the whole fall camp to play itself out and watch a scrimmage or two before we create a QB controversy from thin air.

Yea. I think you're both onto something here.

Trying to remember how many of these posters were....

I'm not calling Jarvis out in particular, but this kind of argument is made a lot in this forum. "The same people who said _____ back in the day are the people who say ______ today." If we knew who we were talking about, we'd say their name. If we don't... it's kind of a straw man.

Not calling you out in particular, but if that happened, people would say you were attacking the poster, not the post, and said comment would be moved, with a probable suspension.

So you understand why that might not happen.

• Fire 1