Armstrong Leading the QB Race

In Beck's O, we are going to need a QB who can hit the short intermediate routes IMO. I have seen numerous reports about all throwing well deep, but not a lot about the shorter routes. I hope that Beck will look at this and tailor a passing game around passes that our QB's can complete and a significant basis. i.e. if slants are not there, can it and get routes the QB's can hit. Use PA and misdirection. Would love to see us incorporate that TE drag that every team used on us.

I really like hearing about TA and his running. Sounds like he is healthy and ready to go. Lean on the run, throw high percentage passes to keep the D honest and win.

Looking at Tommies stats as a passer. He stunk. BUT his TD to INT ratio was excellent. Most of his passes went for TD's and he had (1995) the 2nd highest YPA in the Big 8. Avoid the INT's and sacks and live to make another play. Mirror this mentality and scheme. Run to open the pass with single coverage. When they put 8 in the box. Go deep. Score. Open the box and repeat with the running game. This would, from reports, appear to be our QB's strength.

@Cliff: Tommy is still No. 1 as far as I can tell. It was, and continues to be, a real unlikelihood that he gets supplanted before the opener. Among other things, his chemistry with some key players like Westerkamp, Bell and Abdullah should be given attention when discussing the position. That said, I continue to like bits and pieces of Ryker Fyfe's game. And Johnny Stanton is going to only get better. You hope those two keep coming and put some pressure on Armstrong. It's good for everybody.

Brian Christopherson

http://live.huskerextra.com/Event/Live_chat_Brian_Christopherson_81214/mobile?Page=0&ThemeId=3302

Man I'm really rooting for this kid. I think he's going to be the real deal. I'm most excited for this season just to see another QB finally at the helm in Beck's offense. As I've said before, I think we see the lid come off this offense this year.

If how the offense faired after the starter went down last season is any indication, I'm not nearly as optimistic as you.

Until we see it on the field against someone with a pulse, it's just the typical hyperbole and coach speak that we hear all too often from this staff.

Man I'm really rooting for this kid. I think he's going to be the real deal. I'm most excited for this season just to see another QB finally at the helm in Beck's offense. As I've said before, I think we see the lid come off this offense this year.

If how the offense faired after the starter went down last season is any indication, I'm not nearly as optimistic as you.

Until we see it on the field against someone with a pulse, it's just the typical hyperbole and coach speak that we hear all too often from this staff.

This offense has moved the ball well against every defense they've faced, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Throwing Tommy in the mix last year after Taylor got hurt was extremely challenging for him, considering how few reps he had before that point. So with all things considered, I'd say the offense held up their end of the bargain last year. Now if we can cut down the fumbles and improve consistency, I think this offense has a chance to be pretty good. Not great, but good.

I think you forget that we moved the ball at will against probably the best defense in college football last year (MSU) with our backup QBs and a banged up offensive line.

Besides, I don't think anybody is surprised even a tiny bit that you are not optimistic.

• Fire 2

What? You mean an offense sputtered when its four-year starting QB got injured and a freshman had to take over? That's a shocker
  • Fire 2

This offense has moved the ball well against every defense they've faced, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Throwing Tommy in the mix last year after Taylor got hurt was extremely challenging for him, considering how few reps he had before that point. So with all things considered, I'd say the offense held up their end of the bargain last year. Now if we can cut down the fumbles and improve consistency, I think this offense has a chance to be pretty good. Not great, but good.

I think you forget that we moved the ball at will against probably the best defense in college football last year (MSU) with our backup QBs and a banged up offensive line..

I guess you're definition of moving the ball well is different than mine. We had less than 300 yards against meatchicken, barely got 300 against Georgia, and had low to mid 300s against Iowegia and Ped St.

Yes, we played well against MSU, but that was against the norm for both us and them. I guess we'll see how good the offense looks in east Lansing this year.

What? You mean an offense sputters when its four-year starting QB gets injures and a freshman has to take over? That's a shocker
Weird, isn't it? Yet all I heard was how much better the offense was an the team as a whole once the starter went down. Stats and the eye test be damned.

I think you forget that we moved the ball at will against probably the best defense in college football last year (MSU) with our backup QBs and a banged up offensive line..

I guess you're definition of moving the ball well is different than mine. We had less than 300 yards against meatchicken, barely got 300 against Georgia, and had low to mid 300s against Iowegia and Ped St.

Yes, we played well against MSU, but that was against the norm for both us and them. I guess we'll see how good the offense looks in east Lansing this year.

And we won all of those games last year that you listed except for Iowa. Not to mention, against Michigan and Penn State, the offense put on some clutch drives to win those games, led by none other than the guy you keep bashing.

^and had they not, their lack of ability to move the ball would've cost us the game, so there we are.

This.

Iirc, RKIII was the guy who led the game winning drive against PSU. We don't have him to fall back this year.

People also conveniently forget that if the defense didn't shore up its act in those games, the offensive output never would have been enough to win.