Armstrong Leading the QB Race

First off, the news that Fyfe is #2 isn't news at all. By all accounts that's been the case since at least spring ball.

B. There's no QB controversy. Armstrong is your starter.

3rdly, we'll probably end up using all three guys at some point in the season, and people will try really hard to argue Fyfe and/or Stanton are no good when they struggle a bit.

Possible we use Stanton like OU used Bell before he became the starter? i.e. jumbo package

He's third string. Why don't we work on developing our sophomore starting QB, and maybe get his backup, Ryker Fyfe, a few reps in mop up duty as well. Like most places do. Why would we steal reps from a sophomore starter, and his zero experience backup, to create a special jumbo package for the third string QB? I just don't get t.

So we can be more multiple.

Crap! It's going to happen.

First off, the news that Fyfe is #2 isn't news at all. By all accounts that's been the case since at least spring ball.

3rdly, we'll probably end up using all three guys at some point in the season, and people will try really hard to argue Fyfe and/or Stanton are no good when they struggle a bit.

Possible we use Stanton like OU used Bell before he became the starter? i.e. jumbo package
He's third string. Why don't we work on developing our sophomore starting QB, and maybe get his backup, Ryker Fyfe, a few reps in mop up duty as well. Like most places do. Why would we steal reps from a sophomore starter, and his zero experience backup, to create a special jumbo package for the third string QB? I just don't get t.

Well, according to the talking heads, forget the option with Fyfe. There goes a large part of Beck's play book. Fyfe is 2 right now. 2 weeks from now, a month who knows.

Have we really developed QB talent since Bo has been here? No. Why not try and get the guy who will be here the next 4 years some reps as well.

I truly hope TA is all that and then some. If he's not. There's going to be some hurt folks on this board.

Large part of Becks play book? Since when? Taylor ran it sparingly the entire time he was here. Tommy ran it more than Taylor ever did and that was only because he executed it well. The only reason it will become any significant part of the play book is for that reason, because Armsteong executes it well. From everything we've heard, we are trying to move more toward a balanced passing attack, so I expect as much. From what I hear, Fyfe is more than capable in that department.

Get reps for the guy who will be here for four years? What about the two guys who are better, have proven so, and earned the right to take snaps for the next three years they have here? If we used that 4 year logic, then freshman play automatically because they have the most time ahead of them? I'm baffled by this.

I hope TA is all that and then some too. I expect if he's not, we will all be hurt folks, since that would mean our starting QB sucks and Nebraska is losing games. Or......everything we are hearing about Fyfe is legit and he comes in and owns it. Fine by me. I want to win. Even if it's in a jumbo package with Johnny Stanton, but nothing, absolutely nothing has indicated that is a possibility.

• Fire 1

So we can be more multiple.

pikachu___oh_god_why__by_chiblu-d4rgqn2.

Well, according to the talking heads, forget the option with Fyfe. There goes a large part of Beck's play book. Fyfe is 2 right now. 2 weeks from now, a month who knows.

Have we really developed QB talent since Bo has been here? No. Why not try and get the guy who will be here the next 4 years some reps as well.

I truly hope TA is all that and then some. If he's not. There's going to be some hurt folks on this board.

Large part of Becks play book? Since when? Taylor ran it sparingly the entire time he was here. Tommy ran it more than Taylor ever did and that was only because he executed it well. The only reason it will become any significant part of the play book is for that reason, because Armsteong executes it well. From everything we've heard, we are trying to move more toward a balanced passing attack, so I expect as much. From what I hear, Fyfe is more than capable in that department.

Get reps for the guy who will be here for four years? What about the two guys who are better, have proven so, and earned the right to take snaps for the next three years they have here? If we used that 4 year logic, then freshman play automatically because they have the most time ahead of them? I'm baffled by this.

I hope TA is all that and then some too. I expect if he's not, we will all be hurt folks, since that would mean our starting QB sucks and Nebraska is losing games. Or......everything we are hearing about Fyfe is legit and he comes in and owns it. Fine by me. I want to win. Even if it's in a jumbo package with Johnny Stanton, but nothing, absolutely nothing has indicated that is a possibility.

The option in its various forms is a huge part of Beck's playbook. Did the talking heads mean the wing, flex, spread, triple, double option who knows. They just said Fyfe can't run the "option". Take it for what its worth.

Did I say have Stanton start in front Fyfe? No. Did I say design plays like OU did for Bell? Yes. Stanton's a big kid. 6'2 and 230. Get him some reps. No different than people bitching we have no CB's with experience save Josh or no safeties besides Coop. How do we get them experience? We get them playing time.

I don't want the best QB to start. I want the guy who gives us the best chance to win to be the QB. Maybe it is the "best" QB, maybe its not. I could care less who it is. Hell, Darlington could trot out on Sat and I'd be happy if he gives us the best chance to win.

Beck just talked about how good of a runner Fyfe is, so whatever talking heads are saying the running game is gone with Fyfe need to shut their heads.

“He’s a shifty runner,” Beck said, smiling. “He’s lot quicker and more elusive than people might give him credit for. He’s so gangly looking. He doesn’t look like (a good runner), but he is.”

LINK

So we don't run the Option. We ran it what, four times a game last year, even when Tommy was in, and he's the clear best Option QB we've had since Jammal Lord.

Beck just talked about how good of a runner Fyfe is, so whatever talking heads are saying the running game is gone with Fyfe need to shut their heads.

“He’s a shifty runner,” Beck said, smiling. “He’s lot quicker and more elusive than people might give him credit for. He’s so gangly looking. He doesn’t look like (a good runner), but he is.”

LINK

So we don't run the Option. We ran it what, four times a game last year, even when Tommy was in, and he's the clear best Option QB we've had since Jammal Lord.

You had me at Jammal. As mentioned in another thread, one of my faves.

The part about this entire QB conversation that is driving me crazy are the people (listening to the radio right now) that are acting alarmed that a 4* QB out of California hasn't made it past #3 on the depth chart and a walk on from Nebraska is #2.

Really??? That attitude pisses me off. It isn't like we have absolutely no talent in the state of Nebraska that can go to Lincoln and succeed. There is a very good chance that Fyfe could have been a very highly recruited player if he were in Texas, Florida or California. The fact he was in Western Nebraska seems to make people automatically think he shouldn't be able to hold the jock of a big name recruit from the coast.

This second string battle is very interesting and this may have nothing to do with Stanton struggling and may have everything to do with Fyfe just being that good.

Why can't some Husker fans acknowledge that?

Like it was mentioned. GI definitely isn't western Nebraska. If you cut the state east and west in to 3 sections. Technically Grand Island would be in the Eastern section, not central and definitely not West. :)

Tommie did an ok job subbing with the starting spot in place of a 4 year starter. It was sudden and not predictable for anyone. We all knew he was a RFR without the Stanton hype. Looking at what we have, beginning with returning college football experience, it's ok that he is the <ahem> front runner.

I like what I read here, but it seems the decision among the staff clearly goes to the guy who is least likely to mess up the offense among the QBs - for now. After Fresno and Miami, time will tell about the forgivable leash.

With college, NFL, and HS....a championship possibility always hinges on the team's QB talent/leadership/drive/experience/IQ/understanding and ball security. Looking at the roster at this point, Tommie has the edge as a banged up, returning RSoph. Let's see what happens and prepare for "whatever".

Bo Pelini listed QB order for now as Armstrong, Fyfe, Stanton. #Huskers

This is exactly what I expected it to be. I'm hopeful that Stanton makes a push next year by learning from the 2 above him. I really like what he brings to the table as a runner and I think if he learns to get his reads and throwing down where it needs to be, he'll be an amazing QB.

I feel like the same thing could be said about Armstrong. Let's hope we're both right!

This is funny. If Tommy is our Starter he needs to be in the game until the game is out of reach, he is struggling to the point we need to make a change, or Injury. We will not win the big ones if we continue to do what we did last year. Their were times when he was struggling that it was necessary to make a change, but most of the time it hurt us more than helped us.

P.S. Columbus is basically where central Ne starts lol

The part about this entire QB conversation that is driving me crazy are the people (listening to the radio right now) that are acting alarmed that a 4* QB out of California hasn't made it past #3 on the depth chart and a walk on from Nebraska is #2.

Really??? That attitude pisses me off. It isn't like we have absolutely no talent in the state of Nebraska that can go to Lincoln and succeed. There is a very good chance that Fyfe could have been a very highly recruited player if he were in Texas, Florida or California. The fact he was in Western Nebraska seems to make people automatically think he shouldn't be able to hold the jock of a big name recruit from the coast.

This second string battle is very interesting and this may have nothing to do with Stanton struggling and may have everything to do with Fyfe just being that good.

Why can't some Husker fans acknowledge that?

Like it was mentioned. GI definitely isn't western Nebraska. If you cut the state east and west in to 3 sections. Technically Grand Island would be in the Eastern section, not central and definitely not West. :)

LOL...My bad. Especially since I live west of GI.

My comment was meant as the view point of someone from Lincoln or Omaha.