Armstrong Leading the QB Race

You know who's hoping we maintain a robust passing game?

Ameer Abdullah.

Pass if necessary?

Of course it's necessary.

Announcing your intention to run Abdullah into the line 30 times a game and treating the forward pass (and your quarterback) as a liability is a quick ticket to killing the rushing game. Defenses will be licking their lips if we decide to be predictible rather than multiple. And what's the point of being loaded at wide receiver?

When Tommy Armstrong's yards per attempt passing fall below Ameer Abdullah's yards per attempt rushing, we can talk.

I think this has been an obvious issue of Beck's and had been discussed at great length. Don't go away from what's working. Abduallh works, PERIOD. Still, I see someone plus1'd your comment so apparently multiple is still the in thing. Yea, because being a perennial top ten rushing team in the country just isn't good enough.

Run the ball, play defense. I'm a Broncos fan, trust me on this!

Yep, one thing Peyton Manning and John Elway are famous for is not passing the football. : )

I agree that when the running game is working, you stick with it. I just think there's a contingent of Husker fans who remember the offense getting 5, 6, 7 yards a carry in the first quarter, and conveniently forgetting when we got stuffed for zero, 1 and 2 yards a carry after defenses adjusted.

I just don't see how "multiple" takes away from the running game. The efficient offense you just described could be accused of being multiple. You run to set up the pass. But you also pass to set up the run. I don't think that's too tricky or overly sophisticated.

Maybe it's the notion that there's a preferred run/pass ratio, and Beck intends on maintaining if for every game regardless of what's actually working. Bo and Beck have uttered things recently to give that impression. I hope they don't have a magic number myself. I'd expect every game to have variations, because every game will unfold differently.

The offense actually worked pretty well last season, all things considered, with Beck's 5:3 rush/pass ratio. When things didn't work it seemed more a matter of execution than play calling. Believe it or not there were times when Abdullah and Cross got stuffed in short yardage situations. No one complained about Beck's stubborn insistence on running.

Abdullah got his yards playing in a multiple offense. That was basically my point. The passing game is Abdullah's friend.

The offense actually worked pretty well last season, all things considered, with Beck's 5:3 rush/pass ratio. When things didn't work it seemed more a matter of execution than play calling. Believe it or not there were times when Abdullah and Cross got stuffed in short yardage situations. No one complained about Beck's stubborn insistence on running.

Abdullah got his yards playing in a multiple offense. That was basically my point. The passing game is Abdullah's friend.

Good stuff......

And this comment:

BTN Bus Tour #Huskers Offensive line deep, talented has to continue to develop. They have to do a lot of different things in this offense.—

Gerry DiNardo (@gerrydinardo) August 18, 2014

We don't need to do a lot of different things. We need to get great at what we do well. This is concerning after the "sliming things down comments".

Osborne's offensive linemen had to do a lot of different things also. No need to over analyze.

• Fire 1

You know who's hoping we maintain a robust passing game?

Ameer Abdullah.

Pass if necessary?

Of course it's necessary.

Announcing your intention to run Abdullah into the line 30 times a game and treating the forward pass (and your quarterback) as a liability is a quick ticket to killing the rushing game. Defenses will be licking their lips if we decide to be predictible rather than multiple. And what's the point of being loaded at wide receiver?

When Tommy Armstrong's yards per attempt passing fall below Ameer Abdullah's yards per attempt rushing, we can talk.

I think this has been an obvious issue of Beck's and had been discussed at great length. Don't go away from what's working. Abduallh works, PERIOD. Still, I see someone plus1'd your comment so apparently multiple is still the in thing. Yea, because being a perennial top ten rushing team in the country just isn't good enough.

Run the ball, play defense. I'm a Broncos fan, trust me on this!

Yep, one thing Peyton Manning and John Elway are famous for is not passing the football. : )

I agree that when the running game is working, you stick with it. I just think there's a contingent of Husker fans who remember the offense getting 5, 6, 7 yards a carry in the first quarter, and conveniently forgetting when we got stuffed for zero, 1 and 2 yards a carry after defenses adjusted.

I just don't see how "multiple" takes away from the running game. The efficient offense you just described could be accused of being multiple. You run to set up the pass. But you also pass to set up the run. I don't think that's too tricky or overly sophisticated.

Maybe it's the notion that there's a preferred run/pass ratio, and Beck intends on maintaining if for every game regardless of what's actually working. Bo and Beck have uttered things recently to give that impression. I hope they don't have a magic number myself. I'd expect every game to have variations, because every game will unfold differently.

John Elway didn't win a Super Bowl until Terrell Davis lined up in the backfield behind him.

Every team we played knew Terrell was going to run the ball. Thing is, Terrell actually did run the ball about an average of 30 times a game one year. He amassed 2008 yards that season. Every team knew it, they couldn't stop him. Why? Because when they sold out to stop him, Johnny Elway was there to burn your ass up with the pass.

Armstrong doesn't need to be Elway. Abdullah doesn't need to be Davis. Elway played 16 years in the league, and still, when it came down to it, we put the rock in the hands of a guy who only had four seasons total in the league. I'd hardly compare Armstrong being a sophomore in college to Elway being a 16 year veteran in the NFL.

Put the ball in Abdullah's hands. Call on Tommy to be the guy if he needs to be. Then hope that if/when that time comes, Tommy answers the call.

Becks responsibility is to put Tommy in a situation to be successful. If I had to wager on it at this point, I'm gonna say our best shot is in the hands of a senior running back on Heisman watch lists, not a sophomore QB.

I don't think we are too far off from agreeing.

I just think the key is an 'efficient' or effective passing game is Abdullah's friend. I don't want to see us pass just to pass. I've just never liked the 'percentage' discussion from Beck. To me, the run game is easily the basis of the offense this year. Maybe in the future, that changes. Maybe in the near future, defenses force us to change. To me though, I just don't see too many defenses doing so.

Michigan State was supposed to shut down Abdullah last year correct? Their run defense was tops in the country and all I heard was how there was no way Abudullah would break 100 yards. He had 22 carries for 126 yards. A 5.6 yard per carry average. They knew it was coming. We showed a commitment to the run, and we were successful. That was also in a game where the passing game ended up being a hindrance.

In the Georgia game, Ameer carried the ball 27 times. Against a vaunted SEC defense he averaged 4.5 yards a carry for 122 yards on the ground. When we needed Tommy to make a play, he did. I look at that Georgia game as a blueprint of what we should be this season.

I also think our offensive line is better this season. Especially as run blockers.

• Fire 1

I'm as excited as anyone about the offense this season.

Mostly because Abdullah, but also because I believe Tommy is going to answer the call.

Beck is the wild card in the equation. He can make or break it.

+1 Really interested to see if he leans on the backs and allows Tommy to "support" them. I would be very happy if I didn't have to hear Beck say that he "got stubborn", "went away from what was working" etc or any number of other excuses why he changed what was woking.

• Fire 1

I'm as excited as anyone about the offense this season.

Mostly because Abdullah, but also because I believe Tommy is going to answer the call.

Beck is the wild card in the equation. He can make or break it.

+1 Really interested to see if he leans on the backs and allows Tommy to "support" them. I would be very happy if I didn't have to hear Beck say that he "got stubborn", "went away from what was working" etc or any number of other excuses why he changed what was woking.

Agree with Lo... +1.

I think Strangelove has the right idea. When you have a QB that is leading that pack right now but not a strength overall, I don't think you should be too concerned with using the pass to set up the run.

I think of our offense right now as a lot like the NY Giants offense the last few years. When they ran downhill, they set the tone for how the game was going to go. They were going to maul the opponent until they had to pass, and because they were very good at it (with guys like Barber, Bradshaw, Jacobs... not last years iteration), it set up the play action beautifully. With play action set up that well, the defense opened up huge gaps in the passing games and Eli exploited them.

Last year, they couldn't run worth a damn, and Eli had an all-time meltdown of a season. His worst as a professional.

Please.... please Beck. We have the star running back. We have competent back ups. We have a gifted option quarterback. Please, please, PLEASE lean on the running game and let TA mimic a "set-up" Manning. Do not make him do it on his own. Or even try to open up the lanes for the running game by getting cute and doing little screen/hitch passes. I saw that god awful B1G championship game versus Wiscy the other day at work. The second WIS TD that opened the floodgates was a stupid quick hitch to Bell that doinked off his hands right to a cornerback and was run back for a TD.

Please, get away from that. Run. Run. Then run some more.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Husker Nation

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/tommy-armstrong-showing-composure-as-starting-quarterback/article_83ff101e-6a18-5d18-aa29-a88996215bac.html?mode=jqm

After a sluggish first week of camp — in which Nebraska broke in a new, fast-pace practice system while installing its entire offense — Armstrong has responded well, coach Bo Pelini said Saturday, and offensive coordinator Tim Beck reiterated Monday.

“He really seemed to step his game up,” Beck said.

Armstrong showed it Monday with a strong practice against the top two defenses. Armstrong hit wideout Jamal Turner with a long pass up the seam that would have been a touchdown, stepped up in the pocket against a strong pass rush and repeatedly found the weakness in the middle of Pelini’s vaunted pass defense with crossing and slant patterns.

I think there is a key factor that often gets overlooked in the discussion of being a strong run first team.

We have to become more disciplined in the penalty area. Way too often a silly false start or delay of game penalty puts us in those first and 15 or second and 10 situations. Then it becomes difficult to rely on that running game. And being forced into passing situations just exposes our QB's weakness's even more.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/tommy-armstrong-showing-composure-as-starting-quarterback/article_83ff101e-6a18-5d18-aa29-a88996215bac.html?mode=jqm

After a sluggish first week of camp — in which Nebraska broke in a new, fast-pace practice system while installing its entire offense — Armstrong has responded well, coach Bo Pelini said Saturday, and offensive coordinator Tim Beck reiterated Monday.

Armstrong showed it Monday with a strong practice against the top two defenses. Armstrong hit wideout Jamal Turner with a long pass up the seam that would have been a touchdown, stepped up in the pocket against a strong pass rush and repeatedly found the weakness in the middle of Pelini’s vaunted pass defense with crossing and slant patterns.

Now......let's discuss this with the same gusto many of you seem to want to discuss any negative comments about Tommy.

This kid is gonna light it up this year. I'm ready to watch.

• Fire 2

Now......let's discuss this with the same gusto many of you seem to want to discuss any negative comments about Tommy.

This kid is gonna light it up this year. I'm ready to watch.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/71010-btn-crew-comment-on-armstrongs-accuracy/

Small sample - but pass gm still leaves a bit to be desired for #Huskers - accuracy has been an issue a few times today for Armstrong

Dave Revsine @BTNDaveRevsine

Follow

Small sample - but pass gm still leaves a bit to be desired for #Huskers - accuracy has been an issue a few times today for Armstrong

For the love of everything sane in the world, make this the reason to be run heavy.

Although I would bet against a read opponent, they'd jam 8 in the box, which might make it easier for the QB to hit the quick pass.

Until the run game goes stagnant and people complain that we run too much and become predictable, ala Tom Osborne.

This doesn't sound too good. If we have to rely on Tommys arm to win games, we'll have to be satisfied with another 4 loss season at best.

I think they're putting the jet sweep plays in to combat some of those stacked boxes. A Safety has to account for the sweep man, taking him out of the box at the point of the snap, meaning one less defender heading toward the LOS. Run that sweep toward the TE and you've got hat-on-hat blocking.

Or you could pull the handoff, run the tight end up the seam and see where that gets you. Basically a modern version of Osborne's run/pass Option play, where we had one tight end with like 12 career catches & 10 TDs or some such thing. Cethan Carter, presuming his hands have softened, would be excellent in this play.

• Fire 4

I think they're putting the jet sweep plays in to combat some of those stacked boxes. A Safety has to account for the sweep man, taking him out of the box at the point of the snap, meaning one less defender heading toward the LOS. Run that sweep toward the TE and you've got hat-on-hat blocking.

Or you could pull the handoff, run the tight end up the seam and see where that gets you. Basically a modern version of Osborne's run/pass Option play, where we had one tight end with like 12 career catches & 10 TDs or some such thing. Cethan Carter, presuming his hands have softened, would be excellent in this play.

This x1000.

The jet sweep will be a talking point this year. I can promise you that.