Armstrong Leading the QB Race

Even with all of that, he showed flashes of what he can do in the option game, and throwing the deep ball. Now, if he can get a better mental grasp on the offense and become more proficient at throwing the ball between 5-15 yards, he'll be in great shape to lead this offense. Holding onto the ball will also need to be a point of emphasis, obviously.

So he's pretty good at 10-15% of what we need from a QB this year and needs work on the other 85%. I can agree with that.

Every QB Including Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Luck still work to be more proficient at every area of their game.

The point is that given the circumstances that TA stepped into, how much can someone possibly expect? I find it hysterical that a message board filled with people who have probably never played the game (or any sport) at a high level continue to criticize 18-24 year old young men over every nit-picky thing that they can find.

How about we wait and see the product on the field and give them undivided support instead of tearing them down before they even begin.

Bingo!!!!

There is a part of Husker Nation that seems to think now being a fan is to tear apart your own team. I just don't understand the entertainment value in that.

• Fire 2

The point is that given the circumstances that TA stepped into, how much can someone possibly expect? I find it hysterical that a message board filled with people who have probably never played the game (or any sport) at a high level continue to criticize 18-24 year old young men over every nit-picky thing that they can find.

Do you have to have played QB at the college level to understand what a good college QB looks like? Do you have to have played on a Super Bowl winning team to coach one? I never played in the NFL, but I know Tom Brady is better than Alex Smith. Am I allowed to make that claim?

Yes. What fans SHOULDN'T do though is berate Alex Smith for not being Tom Brady and never recognize the great things that Alex Smith brings to his team.

15%? That's rather harsh. I think that covers about the entirety of our running operation, and the hammer portion of our pass attack.

I love a good passing offense, but our staff shows no indication at all of a sudden metamorphosis. If we had a savvy field general who can dissect defenses, and a terrific OL to lean on, and a sophisticated route tree, then sure, but that'd be pretty shocking. Without that, all of our receiving talent? Wasted anyway.

The option is varying the run game and it's something that makes the rest of it go. The deep ball makes use of our vertical threat receivers and adds a dimension that again helps the rest of the offense go (I would say some of our slot WR talent goes to waste, but you can't have everything). These two things keep the defense honest and unless we're about to install a deadly spread pass or West Coast game in one fall camp, they're absolutely critical to our offense's chances for success this year.

15% of what we need from a QB this year? Yes, I would say that's about right. It's nice to have a QB who can run. But none of our current QBs are going to be breaking huge runs consistantly like Martinez did. There's no problem with that - that's pretty rare. And it's good to throw a nice deep ball but that is probably 2-3 plays per game.

We have plenty of RBs. We don't need a lot of running out our QB - just someone who can get us in the right play and get the ball to the RBs. And someone who - like knapp said - can throw quick, accurate passes - just get the ball in the hands of our WR corps and let them do the work. And don't turn hit over. Those three things will go much farther towards a successful season that any QB running or throwing deep will.

Do you have to have played QB at the college level to understand what a good college QB looks like? Do you have to have played on a Super Bowl winning team to coach one? I never played in the NFL, but I know Tom Brady is better than Alex Smith. Am I allowed to make that claim?

Yes. What fans SHOULDN'T do though is berate Alex Smith for not being Tom Brady and never recognize the great things that Alex Smith brings to his team.

Is anyone being berated here? Saying Armstrong completed 50% of his passes last year isn't berating him, that's simply a fact. Saying it's possible that another QB on the roster might be better equipped to start this season isn't berating anyone... it's pure speculation, but it doesn't amount to the level of berating a player.

Berating a player would be like... "Junior isn't worth the jersey his name is printed on. He couldn't block a door, guard a water cooler, or tackle a dummy!" That's berating a player. Saying "Armstrong isn't completing enough of his passes for this offense to be as successful as we want it to be" isn't berating anyone.

• Fire 2

Mavric, I promise that no matter how TA plays, or how many games the Huskers win this year, it will not affect the health and well-being of your family. Maybe spend your time concerning yourself with things that actually matter and sit back and enjoy the season. I think it's going to be a fun one to watch.

My point is that unless we have the second coming of Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz here as well as that level of sophistication in our passing game again - which we haven't - that does our offense no good.

Remember that even in our WCO days, we didn't have a QB who could stretch the field with his arm, and that really limited us in what we could do. Even though they knew the offense extremely well, were incredibly in sync with their receivers, and excellent timing throwers. And those are things we are very unlikely to have this year either way.

2-3 plays per game isn't what's important. It's the specter of the deep ball that defenses are forced to respect, every play of the game. So his ability to hit those things is pretty darn important. I'd say Tommy gives us maybe about 80% of what this offense needs in terms of ability, with the question mark being (as it would be for anyone) the mental side of things. It'd be kinda silly to expect anything other than a bevy of decision-making mistakes from any of the other young, untested QBs on the roster, though.

If recent history is any guide, we need to have creative dimensions in the offense to mask some lack of eliteness in the OL. If you're going to take away those dimensions, then the only acceptable makeup in my opinion is a diverse passing scheme we simply do not have the ability to morph into in one year, or a Ganz/Taylor-esque rapport with receivers thatwould be crazy to expect. Long term, do we go Wisconsin or Oregon? That's an interesting question, and I don't know. I get the sense the staff is kind of stuck between the two at the moment. How it plays out with this year's QB battle will be something to watch.

You're right, and I hope I'm wrong about Tommy. Nothing I saw last year or so far this year leads me to be very optimistic. Time will tell.

i guess i just wonder what you expected from him?

i was pretty impressed with him. thought he showed a lot of promise. a lot of natural ability and good pocket presence. his short comings seem to be common for freshman qbs.

Better than a 52% completion rate, better than 3 YPC, better than a 1 to 1 TD/ INT ratio, and not putting the ball all over the carpet.

I don't care if he's a freshman or 5th year senior, those numbers have to be better.especially with all of the hype we've heard about him.

It beggars belief that we are even discussing this. Armstrong was using a cart to get around this time last year.

tommyarmstrongcart.jpg

To go from that to 7-1 as a starter (6-1 if you give Northwestern to RKIII) is a damned fine job.

Let the guy show us what he has in games this year before we start fabricating "not good enough" arguments against him.

• Fire 1

No matter who is taking snaps, when the media asks teammates about any of the QBs, what are they gonna say? I like Knapp think this could be a psychological exercise for all 3 guys.

Maybe so, but Severe's comment about Armstrong looking tired and being unable to complete throws isn't a player quote and doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I like Severe's updates and commentary, but he is prone to hyperbole, so take it with a grain of salt.

And..what if...what if Tommy is just sick or physically sapped for some reason, and can bounce back full speed in a day or two.

2-3 plays per game isn't what's important. It's the specter of the deep ball that defenses are forced to respect, every play of the game. So his ability to hit those things is pretty darn important. I'd say Tommy gives us maybe about 80% of what this offense needs in terms of ability, with the question mark being (as it would be for anyone) the mental side of things. It'd be kinda silly to expect anything other than a bevy of decision-making mistakes from any of the other young, untested QBs on the roster, though.

this is part of what's allowed Baylor to be so successful. they send a WR deep on every snap and since opposing DCs know Petty can make that throw whenever he wants, they have to scheme around it and it takes a safety out of the equation, opening up more options underneath.

Taylor had that ability with his legs. A linebacker had to spy him and it opened up the zone read or option or underneath passing routes.

Armstrong doesn't have that kind of accuracy, or at least didn't in 2013. most of his successful deep throws were so because Bell or Enunwa made a spectacular catch.

That said, obviously I don't know if Fyfe or Stanton has that deep ball ability either.

EDIT: and if none of them do, then start Armstrong because he's got the experience. Not many guys out there can say they've led a game-winning TD drive at the Big House, and that's worth quite a bit too.

You're right, and I hope I'm wrong about Tommy. Nothing I saw last year or so far this year leads me to be very optimistic. Time will tell.

i guess i just wonder what you expected from him?

i was pretty impressed with him. thought he showed a lot of promise. a lot of natural ability and good pocket presence. his short comings seem to be common for freshman qbs.

Better than a 52% completion rate, better than 3 YPC, better than a 1 to 1 TD/ INT ratio, and not putting the ball all over the carpet.

I don't care if he's a freshman or 5th year senior, those numbers have to be better.especially with all of the hype we've heard about him.

I guess I don't understand the criticisms given the previous guy put the ball all over the carpet more than anyone in our history. At least let him get through a few games this year to see if the game has slowed down for him. If the guy is able to manage the game and run the option once in a while that may be all we need. If one of the other guys steps up and gets the job done better then so be it.

• Fire 3

this is part of what's allowed Baylor to be so successful. they send a WR deep on every snap and since opposing DCs know Petty can make that throw whenever he wants, they have to scheme around it and it takes a safety out of the equation, opening up more options underneath.

Taylor had that ability with his legs. A linebacker had to spy him and it opened up the zone read or option or underneath passing routes.

Armstrong doesn't have that kind of accuracy, or at least didn't in 2013. most of his successful deep throws were so because Bell or Enunwa made a spectacular catch.

That said, obviously I don't know if Fyfe or Stanton has that deep ball ability either.

EDIT: and if none of them do, then start Armstrong because he's got the experience. Not many guys out there can say they've led a game-winning TD drive at the Big House, and that's worth quite a bit too.

I don't agree with this at all. He has made many very nice deep throws. If you feel the need to criticize something, it's his short passing game that needed the most work.

• Fire 1

My point is that unless we have the second coming of Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz here as well as that level of sophistication in our passing game again - which we haven't - that does our offense no good.

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm not saying we should throw it 40 times per game. I'm saying we should run the ball often - probably even more than have have recently which is quite a bit. But when we do throw, throw short, quick passes that we can complete at a high percentage and let the receivers do the work after that. It doesn't have to be fancy, just effective. We still need to take shots down the field from time to time but if that is the best part of our passing game, we'll be in trouble.

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm not saying we should throw it 40 times per game. I'm saying we should run the ball often - probably even more than have have recently which is quite a bit. But when we do throw, throw short, quick passes that we can complete at a high percentage and let the receivers do the work after that. It doesn't have to be fancy, just effective. We still need to take shots down the field from time to time but if that is the best part of our passing game, we'll be in trouble.

You just described our offense with Martinez at QB.

• Fire 1

I don't agree with this at all. He has made many very nice deep throws. If you feel the need to criticize something, it's his short passing game that needed the most work.

He only has 11 passes that went for more than 25 yards, not really enough to say one way or the other.

The Illinois catch by Bell was an overthrown ball that was a pick if Bell doesn't 1 hand that thing out of nowhere. (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9774041)

There was the 99 yarder by Enunwa against Georgia. Fumbled snap, almost takes a saftey, then he throws a bomb to a wide open Enunwa. Great throw/catch.

He had a couple against Michigan which I couldn't find video of.

Then there's this one - which you could debate all day whether it was a good throw. It was underthrown by that's why Bell got it. Great catch either way (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9988268)

He definitely underthrew the one to Burtch here - he was just so wide open it didn't matter. Probably a higher percentage pass to underthrow hime (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9987043)

• Fire 3