Armstrong Leading the QB Race

Yeah, I'm ready to move on to Stanton, or Fyfe, or Darlington.

I'm not expecting this year be any better than last,so I say build for the next couple of years when the team is more experienced. We won't be winning a CCG with TA at QB, let's move on.

<facepalm gif removed for quote convenience - knapplc>

Feel free to disagree.

I was thinking you were joking, hence the semi-silly gif, but if you're serious, I'll just opine that you haven't seen nearly enough bad from Armstrong to throw in the towel on his starting career yet. The circumstances under which he took over the job last year were crap, and he turned the ball over WAY too much...

... but if nothing else tells you this kid's ceiling isn't what we saw in 2013, remember that he took a team with a banged-up O Line into the largest stadium in football and won in front of a sellout crowd. He engineered the game-winning drive, and made an excellent play on the Option on which Ameer scored the go-ahead TD. That's a bit of the "it" that we want in a quarterback. That was a hell of a drive. 14 plays, 75 yards, four first downs, and the clincher was on fourth-and-two from the Michigan 31, Tommy audibled out of the called play and hit Kenny Bell on a slant for the first down. He followed that gem up with the scoring Option, a play he'd been blown up on earlier in the game.

• Fire 4

I'm not expecting this year be any better than last,so I say build for the next couple of years when the team is more experienced. We won't be winning a CCG with TA at QB, let's move on.

Feel free to disagree.

I was thinking you were joking, hence the semi-silly gif, but if you're serious, I'll just opine that you haven't seen nearly enough bad from Armstrong to throw in the towel on his starting career yet. The circumstances under which he took over the job last year were crap, and he turned the ball over WAY too much...

... but if nothing else tells you this kid's ceiling isn't what we saw in 2013, remember that he took a team with a banged-up O Line into the largest stadium in football and won in front of a sellout crowd. He engineered the game-winning drive, and made an excellent play on the Option on which Ameer scored the go-ahead TD. That's a bit of the "it" that we want in a quarterback. That was a hell of a drive. 14 plays, 75 yards, four first downs, and the clincher was on fourth-and-two from the Michigan 31, Tommy audibled out of the called play and hit Kenny Bell on a slant for the first down. He followed that gem up with the scoring Option, a play he'd been blown up on earlier in the game.

I was being semi sarcastic. I honestly think we've seen what TA is. If he's our best, roll with it, but if the mistakes and lack of play making continue, I wouldn't be upset by a change. I think we can win some games with him, but imo he'll be more Mickey Joseph than Tommie Frazier.

Feel free to disagree.

I was being semi sarcastic. I honestly think we've seen what TA is. If he's our best, roll with it, but if the mistakes and lack of play making continue, I wouldn't be upset by a change. I think we can win some games with him, but imo he'll be more Mickey Joseph than Tommie Frazier.

Are you serious? By this logic you seem to be saying that there no discernible difference between a freshman and a 5th-year senior. Like all that time you spend in the weight room, the film room, the practice field, and The Field is so much pointless nonsense.

And what does Tommie Frazier have to do with anything? Is that our automatic standard for comparison--one of the greatest college quarterbacks in the history of the game (on the best team, coached by a legend)? And we're going to make that comparison based off apprx. 1/2 of one Rs. freshman season?

This is one of the biggest reasons why I only participate in the bare minimum of offseason stargazing. Grand predictions are made off what is, in context, basically worthless information. A kid throws a pick in practice and we're stroking our beards and thinking about the backup. It's worse than Monday morning quarterbacking; it's Friday morning quarterbacking.

• Fire 5

Nope not ignoring at all In fact that is exactly what I was talking about. People didn't give him a chance then under what was a pretty damn hard way to get the starting(part time) position as a Freshmen. And now after one practice it seems people want to see a new guy because he threw one pick? Crazy SMDH. But, like I said, if he gets beat out by one of the others then so be it, but for the love of God at least give him a chance.

Let yer milk down dude. Nobody's calling for Tommy's head.
I stand corrected. Apparently 74hunter is.

Someone call me out if I am wrong; however, I have heard twice now on local sports talk radio that Tommy Armstrong did not take a single snap with the team since the 2012 Northwestern game until Taylor went down after the 2013 UCLA game because he had a knee surgery and they were letting him slowly rehab thinking they had Talyor for all of 2013.

If that is true, he did everything you would expect from a guy in a RS Freshman year that had a full year of rust to knock off his game. I would also expect his TD:TO ratio and completion percent to make a tremendous improvement.

Someone call me out if I am wrong; however, I have heard twice now on local sports talk radio that Tommy Armstrong did not take a single snap with the team since the 2012 Northwestern game until Taylor went down after the 2013 UCLA game because he had a knee surgery and they were letting him slowly rehab thinking they had Talyor for all of 2013.

He took snaps in the spring last year and played in the spring game. He also played in the Southern Miss game, so he would have had to take snaps in the fall.

He took snaps in the spring last year and played in the spring game. He also played in the Southern Miss game, so he would have had to take snaps in the fall.
Thanks. I must have heard incorrectly.

i_tried.gif

Still, with a full offseason knowing he's the guy (if he can prove it) and getting the majority of snaps with the first team, you would expect he can make big improvements.