Lewis Living Up to Guidelines

To the ones saying he got off easy, thats not really the case. Lots of people never spend more then a night in jail. Even though this is a felony, even then guys rarely see jail time on a first time felony charge, unless of course it is something extreme, which this is not. I am however happy that he does have to do some jail time, it is the best tool to keep people out of jail/coming back to jail, send them there for a bit.

image.png

This was actually a misdemeanor anyway. If this were a felony aggravated assault he probably wouldn't be playing football for us anytime soon.

• Fire 1

So when does he have to start his sentence then?

If Colorado has the same sorts of good time policies as Nebraska, he might not have to serve more than 30 days if he keeps his nose clean. Hopefully when he goes in, he will be allowed to take in some reading material (playbook) to study, and some sort of modified conditioning program from the S&C staff. Withdraw from the summer classes so it doesn't hurt his GPA, and then when he gets out, bust ass at the training table and in the weight room to make up for the month of jail food.

If Colorado has the same sorts of good time policies as Nebraska, he might not have to serve more than 30 days if he keeps his nose clean. Hopefully when he goes in, he will be allowed to take in some reading material (playbook) to study, and some sort of modified conditioning program from the S&C staff. Withdraw from the summer classes so it doesn't hurt his GPA, and then when he gets out, bust ass at the training table and in the weight room to make up for the month of jail food.

It'd be interesting to weigh him now and then on the day he gets out. If they only give him 3 meals a day and they are the same meal everyone else gets then I bet he loses 15+ pounds.

I think there's merits to both arguments. It wouldn't be outrageous to reduce his sentence since it, I believe, was his first brush with the law and by all accounts, he's been walking a straight line since.

But on the flipside, from what the papers reported on the details of the incident, he beat that kid up severely. Not your run-of-the-mill bar scuffle by any stretch.

It'd be interesting to weigh him now and then on the day he gets out. If they only give him 3 meals a day and they are the same meal everyone else gets then I bet he loses 15+ pounds.

Time for him to channel his inner Floyd Mayweather. He did it once before, which was what landed him there in the first place.

http://deadspin.com/floyd-mayweathers-jail-diet-included-lots-of-chili-chee-1569944129

If your sentenced to 45 days you wont have to serve the whole time will you? Most inmates serve less than half of the amount of time they are sentenced. Is there any chance that he does less time and gets out early based on behavior at jail.

it depends on what type of sentencing you have. I know a guy who was sentenced to 45 days for a DUI and he served all 45 days but it was a work release type of sentence. It wasn't like he was locked up for 45 days straight. I would assume the type of sentence where you are locked up tight are more likely to get out early for good behavior.

Time for him to channel his inner Floyd Mayweather. He did it once before, which was what landed him there in the first place.

http://deadspin.com/floyd-mayweathers-jail-diet-included-lots-of-chili-chee-1569944129

Ha! Nice. He better put a lot of money on his books and hit that commissary up everyday then. Can we start a fund? I suppose that woudln't sit well with compliance.

As a former Sergeant who worked in a jail for 5 years I will shed some light on some myths and realities of what jail life is like for some people.

This is a Myth:

If your sentenced to 45 days you wont have to serve the whole time will you? Most inmates serve less than half of the amount of time they are sentenced. Is there any chance that he does less time and gets out early based on behavior at jail.

Reality:

Some people have review dates where they could potentially serve less then initially ordered, . These are typically for people who have minors who rely on the support of the person going to jail or other dependents, or very large metro areas where they just don't have the resources to "farm" out their inmates. Google "jail bed space for rent." Others can have their lawyers petition the court to have your sentence reviewed. With the short sentence of 45 days , and that they are almost always set about 30 days out and would need to have been petitioned to the court and approved before the first 15 days. Its not going to take a day for that to happen so we'll give it a 7-10 days for the lawyer to draw up the paperwork, for it to be sent tot he judges office, sit on his desk till the million other things are done with including presiding over other peoples cases and petitions of other sorts.

So say it does get done is a really fast 5 days, and is approved and they have a court hearing on day 35 of 45. Good luck with a judge reducing it then, it is almost over and he truly has more important things to worry about, and from the sounds of it got off pretty lightly of his his sentence, due to the public interest of this case. Seems like this turned into a making an example of athletes. A regular person might have gotten 30 days, or just probation. He'll do his 45 days in my opinion.

what civil liabilities? why did the judge mention that?

Civil Liabilities can mean civil responsibilities which are things that don't have to do with the court. Meaning...not the courts problem

Myth:

To the ones saying he got off easy, thats not really the case. Lots of people never spend more then a night in jail. Even though this is a felony, even then guys rarely see jail time on a first time felony charge, unless of course it is something extreme, which this is not. I am however happy that he does have to do some jail time, it is the best tool to keep people out of jail/coming back to jail, send them there for a bit.

As stated before its been dropped to a misdemeanor, and a lot of people serve jail sentences as first offenders, it really comes down to the DA/CA, the judge and your defense lawyer, but here what I know about "jail"

Reality:

You have 3 types of people who go to jail.

The first are scared out of their mind, they are physically small, emotionally not confident and become prey, and are likely to be non-repeat offenders of hardly any sort. Simply put, jail is the worst thing that could possibly happen to them.

The Second are the repeat offenders, been there, done it, not big deal just an inconvenience to their life much like someone who gets deploy to the middle east. They made a life choice to serve our great country, and they understand the challenge their family deals with. A criminal has the same mindset. They made a life choice to be a poo-bag, and they are often easy enough to get a long with types that usually only befriend someone for selfish manipulative reasons.

The third is a person who is honestly scared about going but is physically big, and emotionally confident. This is in my best guess going to be Lewis, the poo-bags aren't going to see him as prey, they are going to see him as someone they will try to manipulate (everyone in jail gets manipulated to some degree even staff). . They might do it to be cool, to hang out with the division 1 football guy, hear his stories, some might befriend him, make him feel as though these he's one of the guys. That is the dangerous part. When you start siding with these people they start to change the way you think and desensitize you.

I've seen good people go to jail, and come out criminals, this might be way out of line to post here, but I just get tired of all the myths about sentencing because of all of the celebrities who live in LA where they just don't have the room or the money to keep people in jail. Anyways, I thought I'd share my knowledge with you all. Maybe it will give others different perspective.

Civil Liabilities can mean civil responsibilities which are things that don't have to do with the court. Meaning...not the courts problem

i was just wondering if the judge was referring to a specific civil case against lewis. it was just odd to me that the judge said that.

i was just wondering if the judge was referring to a specific civil case against lewis. it was just odd to me that the judge said that.

In the context of the way it was written I bet they mean responsibilities. There may be some civil law suit on the thing, but that doesn't really make sense int he context of the what the article is about.