New Staff Addition

Not exactly sure what a Director of Player Personnel for a college will do but I'm going to assume this also falls in line with the new recruiting rules.

Michael Bruntz@michaelbruntz 2m

Nebraska has hired long-time college WR coach Brian Crist as its Director of Player Personnel. http://bit.ly/1s3Xkzw #Huskers

Guess this isn't a new coach addition either. Worded that wrong. Someone want to help me change it.

Edited by wiuhusker

Here's an interview with Ohio State's Director of Player Personnel:

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/9274-here-s-a-great-look-at-the-job-description-of-a-director-of-player-personnel

Nick Caserio holds the same title for the New England Patriots (and Scott Pioli held a very similar one there, VP of Player Personnel)...and Caserio is a big, big part of the Patriots operation. Outside of the coaching staff, there is no staff member whose name is brought up as often as Caserio's. Sounds like it's a very recruiting-focused kind of job.

Brian Crist — who last worked as a wide receivers coach at Massachusetts — could be the guy whom Nebraska leans upon to help beef up national recruiting efforts. The Huskers posted jobs last fall to add more members to the recruiting office and recently former Husker Kenny Wilhite joined the department as a regional recruiting assistant.

Crist helped develop NFL wide receiver Victor Cruz, who starred for the Minutemen before becoming one of the NFL’s best receivers with the New York Giants. Cruz played during Crist’s second stint at UMass, which started in 2007. From 2002-2006, Crist was passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach for Louisiana-Lafayette. Crist also coached at Virginia Tech in the mid-1990s after playing quarterback at a local Virginia college.

On the surface, it’d appear Crist has strong connections in two areas Nebraska would like to continue recruiting: The Eastern Seaboard; and Louisiana.

OWH

In his role at Nebraska, Crist will be responsible for a number of functions in the football program. He will interact directly with Nebraska players in a number of areas, including academic matters and community outreach activities. Past directors of player personnel have also assisted the staff with on-campus recruiting and played a key role in Nebraska’s summer camps, while also serving as the liaison to NFL scouts...

Hmmm, he also has experience coaching QB's and special teams.

Color me intrigued.

In his role at Nebraska, Crist will be responsible for a number of functions in the football program. He will interact directly with Nebraska players in a number of areas, including academic matters and community outreach activities. Past directors of player personnel have also assisted the staff with on-campus recruiting and played a key role in Nebraska’s summer camps, while also serving as the liaison to NFL scouts...

Color me intrigued.

Does this position have limited access to players as the rest of the coaches?

If not, you could color me intrigued as well, coincidentally in light of the conversation in regards to a qb coach in another thread.

Color me intrigued.

Does this position have limited access to players as the rest of the coaches?

If not, you could color me intrigued as well, coincidentally in light of the conversation in regards to a qb coach in another thread.

I haven't the foggiest idea, but I would wager that would probably some access....

So I'm still intrigued.

But really, I'd just like someone here to color me.

In related news, Nick Saban is set to hire Tosh Lupoi, widely known as one of the nations top recruiters, to the same position at Alabama.

So, I've gone from intrigued to really hoping there is some plan to have him guiding the QB's or special teams involved.

Found this--

"Although most people only think of recruitment as related to college sports, professional sports teams also "recruit" players in the sense of trying to convince a star player to play for a new team when his current contract expires. In either case, the DPP is closely involved in the recruitment strategy. In pro sports, negotiations are mainly about salary, but the chances of a team to win a championship typically also factor into decision-making. Recruitment is a core responsibility for college DPPs, and they are responsible for everything from carefully complying with all NCAA rules on recruitment to arranging recruitment visits for coaches or campus visits for potential recruits.

Player Support

Many DPPs also have duties relating to player support. On the college level, DPPs typically serve as liaison between departments, helping students deal with compliance, student services, strength and conditioning, travel plans, facilities, housing, parking and legal matters. Professional sports DPPs assist in coordinating team travel, and player and team non-game public appearances, handling media coverage, as well as managing new player orientation."

So it looks there could be additional cases to handling players outside of just recruiting.

Sweet, now we should expect Bama-like results without the dedication and resource allocation that Bama has provided for Satan.

#entitled

"How can Bo be expected to compete when there isn't even a position at Nebraska that Alabama has just for recruiting?"

(Position is created, Bo makes hire)

"How can Bo expect to compete when we don't cheat?"

Does the moving company charge by mile or by time? Either way it's got to be getting expensive loading those goalpost up and transporting them.

• Fire 4