A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

Kirby Smart's another coordinator, and that's all I know about him. Wouldn't we be reticent about hiring another first time head coach?

A few names that I would've liked to see, had we made the change last year, would have been Jim Tressel, Chris Peterson and James Franklin. Yeah, it's easy to say "X would never have been interested", but we do not know that. It's up to the AD to court the coach and while this coach or that coach may have other dream schools, Nebraska is an objectively strong opportunity.

Tressel is still in play. For another name, how about Mississippi State's Dan Mullen? He's young (41), energetic, and stuck at a program like MSU. Not saying he's the best coaching prospect out there, just tossing out one of maybe five names I know. Can't see Moglia getting a shot here. That'd be certainly interesting, though.

To piggyback what NUpolo said, I think the criteria should be someone who will max effort recruit to the program, represent us well at all times, and build the brand. Big winners and elite coaches are rare, period, but as long as we are going through coaches that fit that criteria, I don't think we'll ever have too much to regret.

/wait, why are we talking about other coaches again?....gonna have to go back and read. haha.

LOL. Some people. I dont get it either Zoogs. Now that Bo's tenure is being written off as a failure, it's mostly his inexperience as a head coach to blame. Yet when replacements are discussed, Kirby Smart and Scott Frost are names that most frequently pop up.

Haha, yea I love that when it comes up. Makes me smile. Some funny dudes around here.

Hey weird question. How come there's so many fire Bo discussions going on and talk about replacement coaches? It is spring right? Bo is coaching the team this year no? Do football teams usually make coaching changes during spring?

Also, after that display against Iowa, Bo keeping the job suggests to me that we probably cant get anyone better. Seriously. Rag on me all you want, but it's common sense to me.

I think based on all the smoke and grapevine stuff that 1) the administration seriously entertained the possibility, 2) the political climate behind the scenes did not allow it to happen; i.e, Bo has a couple of very strong backers who hold powerful clout still, in spite of everything, and 3) the administration is pretty OK with accepting that strong backing and saying, 'Alright, then, let's give it another year.'

Hey weird question. How come there's so many fire Bo discussions going on and talk about replacement coaches? It is spring right? Bo is coaching the team this year no? Do football teams usually make coaching changes during spring?

Because there's a significant divide between fans who support Bo and fans who don't, and collectively we keep trying to persuade the others of our side of the argument, which we are convinced is the more reasonable one. LOL :P But, it's spring, right? No actual games to talk about.

Also, after that display against Iowa, Bo keeping the job suggests to me that we probably cant get anyone better. Seriously. Rag on me all you want, but it's common sense to me.

I think based on all the smoke and grapevine stuff that 1) the administration seriously entertained the possibility, 2) the political climate behind the scenes did not allow it to happen; i.e, Bo has a couple of very strong backers who hold powerful clout still, in spite of everything, and 3) the administration is pretty OK with accepting that strong backing and saying, 'Alright, then, let's give it another year.'

Because there's a significant divide between fans who support Bo and fans who don't, and collectively we keep trying to persuade the others of our side of the argument, which we are convinced is the more reasonable one. LOL :P But, it's spring, right? No actual games to talk about.

True.

I am certain the spring game Saturday will end these Bo conversations and move us toward discussing the football teams upcoming season. I am absolutely certain of it.

Although, talking about the football team can be shunned upon to. Especially the guy leading the team on the field, Tommy Armstrong.

Make a change at the head coaching level.

to who?

This never ceases to crack me up. Fire Bo, get him outta here, but never who are you going to replace him with. Is it easy to say you want to fire somebody, but it's a hell of a lot harder to figure out a realistic replacement...

Kirby Smart. Not the only option, and likely not the best option, but I'd make that trade today. That's the first one that came to mind.

Would he be better? I don't know. No one does. What I do know is that I'm ready for a change.

Trade one DC (with no head coaching experience) from a highly ranked SEC team for another?

DWBrilliant.gif

Also, after that display against Iowa, Bo keeping the job suggests to me that we probably cant get anyone better. Seriously. Rag on me all you want, but it's common sense to me. After the audio came out, SDSU ran up and down the field on us for a half, and then the meltdown after the Minnesota loss, you think the admin wasnt at the very least putting out some feelers? Preparing for the possible "wheels coming off" scenario? They were. You can bet your ass some possibilities were checked into. but there's a reason Bo is still the coach after he dared the all fearless Perlman and AD to "fire me if they wanna fire me".

Absolutely not! Bo is doing a fantastic job. :hmmph

Also, after that display against Iowa, Bo keeping the job suggests to me that we probably cant get anyone better. Seriously. Rag on me all you want, but it's common sense to me. After the audio came out, SDSU ran up and down the field on us for a half, and then the meltdown after the Minnesota loss, you think the admin wasnt at the very least putting out some feelers? Preparing for the possible "wheels coming off" scenario? They were. You can bet your ass some possibilities were checked into. but there's a reason Bo is still the coach after he dared the all fearless Perlman and AD to "fire me if they wanna fire me".

Who exactly has said this?

Trade one DC (with no head coaching experience) from a highly ranked SEC team for another?

Maybe you'd prefer that we resume talking about Al Golden's record against ranked teams and why it shows that he isn't a particularly good head coach? ;)

Sure. Anything beats the "Bo's good/sucks" circlejerk that dominates this board.

• Fire 1

Approximately the same number of people who have said that Bo's tenure has been an unmitigated disaster.

But you probably picked up on that.

• Fire 3

Approximately the same number of people who have said that Bo's tenure has been an unmitigated disaster.

But you probably picked up on that.

So the strawman routine?

Are we getting to the point where everyone realizes we actually all have (roughly) the same opinion about Bo? The plot thickens! :lol:

I don't think there's too much variance in opinion (obviously there are some outliers). I think the big difference, is how you view Nebraska's place in the CFB pecking order. How easy do you think you can get a replacement, and how much of a chance do you think he'll be better?

I would rather develop a coach into what we want out of a coach rather than bring in a "big name" and have him change us into what he wants. That didnt end well last time. Bo can be that guy but yeah, takes alot of time and investment. Recruiting is clearly on the rise. We have playmakers and talent on both sides of the ball. Were seeing Bo in a more positive way, dont really care if its a PR push.

If Bo finishes 8-4 this year, fine, fire him. I jus dont see that happening. Weve got a solid team, a respectable but manageable schedule and some real momentum right now. Im prepared for a legitimate turnaround this year.