A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

the Hurricanes' spring practice ended Saturday with a controlled scrimmage in front of 12,000-plus.

So their spring game is just as popular as their regular season games. Impressive.

Im really excited to see how Sun Life looks when Nebraska travels there.

I'm thinking about going to that game. I've never been to a Husker away game, and a trip to Miami might be fun.

the Hurricanes' spring practice ended Saturday with a controlled scrimmage in front of 12,000-plus.

So their spring game is just as popular as their regular season games. Impressive.

Im really excited to see how Sun Life looks when Nebraska travels there.

I'm thinking about going to that game. I've never been to a Husker away game, and a trip to Miami might be fun.

The city of Miami is a Sh&t hole. It is good the tore down the Orange Bowl, it was a dump and in a very poor neighborhood.

Listening to all the talking heads, Connecticut is one of the worst areas to recruit to in college basketball. Every top coach wonders how they do it. They have had some great players, but also backups that make things happen.

Very remote is the words from local Big East coaches. Not a great drive, no city near campus. Hartford being the nearest city, hard to fly into. Most of the basketball talking heads say the same things about it as we hear about Nebraska all the time. The area is very rural, actually in the middle of field, no night life in the area

I realize we do not have the talent base population, but we are a Nationally recognized program, where UConn is a beginner comparatively.

Recruiting is a state of mind, a desire to succeed, a quality product, and knowledge of that product. But most of all developing a relationship with the high schools that you concentrate on. I think Bo has learned that lesson. He needs to have every kid in the state, want to attend Nebraska. I do not know if it s that way anymore. Kids from surrounding states wanted, lived for the chance to come to Nebraska. Those days are gone, so those are the areas that need work. And that is tough to do. I think it started changing when Tom left, fell apart duing clownahan, and Bo did not understand recruiting when he got here. It does appear to me, he has realized the error and is working hard on finding his niche to be successful.

• Fire 1

It would be a great game to go to. Im guessing the crowd will be close to 50% Husker fans

Looking back at the "Invasion of South Bend" my guess is that the game will be 80% Husker fans since Miami only has fair-weather Heat fans. Seriously, I am already planning a vacation to Miami for that game. September 19, 2015 will be another Husker home game mark my words.

Listening to all the talking heads, Connecticut is one of the worst areas to recruit to in college basketball. Every top coach wonders how they do it. They have had some great players, but also backups that make things happen.

Very remote is the words from local Big East coaches. Not a great drive, no city near campus. Hartford being the nearest city, hard to fly into. Most of the basketball talking heads say the same things about it as we hear about Nebraska all the time. The area is very rural, actually in the middle of field, no night life in the area

I realize we do not have the talent base population, but we are a Nationally recognized program, where UConn is a beginner comparatively.

Recruiting is a state of mind, a desire to succeed, a quality product, and knowledge of that product. But most of all developing a relationship with the high schools that you concentrate on. I think Bo has learned that lesson. He needs to have every kid in the state, want to attend Nebraska. I do not know if it s that way anymore. Kids from surrounding states wanted, lived for the chance to come to Nebraska. Those days are gone, so those are the areas that need work. And that is tough to do. I think it started changing when Tom left, fell apart duing clownahan, and Bo did not understand recruiting when he got here. It does appear to me, he has realized the error and is working hard on finding his niche to be successful.

Driving, UConn is about 1:30 from Boston, 2:30 from NYC, about 4:30 from Philly, and about 6:30 to DC.

I don't think that we have anything like that for football recruiting in this area. KC is 3 hours, Denver. St. Louis, and Minneapolis are about 7 hours. Chicago is about 9.

Besides, comparing basketball to football is apples to kumquats. One NBA lottery pick and you have a tourney team. Sprinkle in a couple of other all-league caliber players and you have a Sweet 16 team. See KState from a few years back with Beasley.

One NFL first rounder, and you have, well one NFL first rounder.

It's no coincidence that when we have had our best runs in football, basketball, and baseball, Nebraska was churning out high quality Div 1 athletes. Recently, we haven't had as many.

It's not a question of getting there!. It is there is absolutely noting to do there. Again no city, no town, just the campus, a 45 mile drive on a two lane highway to go anywhere, to do anything. I have never been there, but living in a field 45 miles from any type of nightlife for a young person is a hard sell. Especially these poor athletes that do not have money for food, how could they own a car, pay insurance. And just think how far it is to get a tattoo.

This campus is considered far far off the beaten path is what the coaches/talkingheads say. Nothing for the kids to do but play the game they came there for.

They did when Edsel was there.

Arguments would be Manzeil and Suh, Winston.

Just saying that recruiting is a full time job, that requires different attacks for different areas. When I was on recruiting duty for the Marines, I had a rural area, 100 miles, by 50 miles south of metropolitan Kansas City. My requirements (number of enlistments) for success were the absolute same as the Marines in Kansas City, New York or Los Angeles. You succeed at recruiting because you develop what works for you, work smarter than harder. Establish travel routes that put you in areas where the prospects are at the same time. I used to attend a football game at one of my high schools every Friday night, wearing dress blues and cheering for the Home team. Same in basketball, track and wrestling. I became a fixture, and was accepted by the kids. Made appointments during studyhalls, most kids wanted to get out of study hall, so they would take the appointment. Face to face, I had a shot. Develop relationships with the Guidance counselor and coaches.

Its too far is a lame excuse. Too hard to sell, not really when you compare it to the chance of dying in combat. Your job is to get them face to face, no matter how far, how long, eye to eye you have a chance. Passing on someone because you think they won't come is what caused most Marine recruiters to fail. And a large majority of them did. I always went after the star athlete, the class president. Seldom did I get them, but a positive from them to their friends helped me recruit a lot of kids. Networking, and never accepting No as the answer. Personally I think selling someone to come to Lincoln to get college education, play a game they love or going to Afghanistan and ducking bullets would be quite easy.

The only question I was ever asked by my superiors, did you make quota, great, do it again. Every month for 8 years.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...