A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

Kipp Adams@KippLAdams 9m
#Miami RB Duke Johnson up to 211 pounds, ready to put #Canes offense on his back in 2014 http://bit.ly/1j6Gpp5

Johnson told AP reporter Tim Reynolds last week during a session with reporters that he gained 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, and that he is 100 percent healed from the ankle injury that caused him to miss the last third of the 2013 season.

Johnson played at 196 pounds last year, so his quoted weight gain would put him around 211 pounds right now. As long as he retains his explosiveness, that added strength should help him carry the added workload the Hurricanes will need from him to put points on the board in 2014. There is no doubt Johnson is one of the most talented backs Miami has had in the last 10 years, and regardless of his stance on not thinking about the draft, this season presents a great opportunity for Johnson to emerge as a first round talent. As he tells the AP, he certainly does not lack the motivation.

Kipp Adams@KippLAdams 9m

#Miami RB Duke Johnson up to 211 pounds, ready to put #Canes offense on his back in 2014 http://bit.ly/1j6Gpp5

Johnson told AP reporter Tim Reynolds last week during a session with reporters that he gained 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, and that he is 100 percent healed from the ankle injury that caused him to miss the last third of the 2013 season.

Johnson played at 196 pounds last year, so his quoted weight gain would put him around 211 pounds right now. As long as he retains his explosiveness, that added strength should help him carry the added workload the Hurricanes will need from him to put points on the board in 2014. There is no doubt Johnson is one of the most talented backs Miami has had in the last 10 years, and regardless of his stance on not thinking about the draft, this season presents a great opportunity for Johnson to emerge as a first round talent. As he tells the AP, he certainly does not lack the motivation.

Stop Duke Johnson, make whatever warm body is at QB for Miami beat us.

So now McNeese, Fresno, Miami, Rutgers and Illinois have transfer quarterbacks. If you can't recruit them steal em I suppose.

Just looking over your messageboard and I just saw this. We didn't steal anything. As with most FBS to FCS transfers, Daniel Sams came to us about transferring.

Doc

So now McNeese, Fresno, Miami, Rutgers and Illinois have transfer quarterbacks. If you can't recruit them steal em I suppose.

Just looking over your messageboard and I just saw this. We didn't steal anything. As with most FBS to FCS transfers, Daniel Sams came to us about transferring.

Doc

Thanks for the clarification Doc!

CD

the Hurricanes' spring practice ended Saturday with a controlled scrimmage in front of 12,000-plus.

So their spring game is just as popular as their regular season games. Impressive.

Im really excited to see how Sun Life looks when Nebraska travels there.

I'm thinking about going to that game. I've never been to a Husker away game, and a trip to Miami might be fun.

Maybe they will let you ride on the alumi bus.

i476801.jpg

Nebraska itself hasnt changed much. Its the rest of the college football world that has changed drastically.

I'm an outsider but I think Nebraska changed a lot in that it had a system of old style option football that worked then decided to abandon it after a 10-3 season capped by a bowl win in 2003. That system, to me, made Nebraska what it was. I live in SEC country and I can remember people in SEC country saying that system was obsolete before Nebraska clubbed Florida in the de facto 1995/1996 national championship game. Short memories apparently prevailed as I can remember SEC fans saying the same kind of thing before Nebraska clubbed Tennessee in the 1998 Orange Bowl.

Yes they went a few years without a national title after 1997/1998 but they were in the BCS championship game at the end of the 2001/2002 season. Yes they lost the Big 12 title game that year but when you lose a game by 62-36 the problem obviously isn't the offensive system.

I think the system Nebraska had is what made Nebraska great. During all of its glory years Nebraska wasn't ever near the top in terms of NFL talent production overall. But they didn't need to be on the offensive side. They were using a different kind of player. Tommy Frazier, for instance, was never a threat to be a NFL quarterback. But he was great for what Nebraska did and the fact that he wasn't an NFL type quarterback didn't help Florida's outstanding 1995/1996 team any.

I just think Nebraska made a mistake a few years back. I don't think there's any doubt that their program went down instead of up after they decided to change their basic approach. It's been pretty good at times. But it's not the same as it was before.

• Fire 1

Nebraska itself hasnt changed much. Its the rest of the college football world that has changed drastically.

I'm an outsider but I think Nebraska changed a lot in that it had a system of old style option football that worked then decided to abandon it after a 10-3 season capped by a bowl win in 2003. That system, to me, made Nebraska what it was. I live in SEC country and I can remember people in SEC country saying that system was obsolete before Nebraska clubbed Florida in the de facto 1995/1996 national championship game. Short memories apparently prevailed as I can remember SEC fans saying the same kind of thing before Nebraska clubbed Tennessee in the 1998 Orange Bowl.

Yes they went a few years without a national title after 1997/1998 but they were in the BCS championship game at the end of the 2001/2002 season. Yes they lost the Big 12 title game that year but when you lose a game by 62-36 the problem obviously isn't the offensive system.

I think the system Nebraska had is what made Nebraska great. During all of its glory years Nebraska wasn't ever near the top in terms of NFL talent production overall. But they didn't need to be on the offensive side. They were using a different kind of player. Tommy Frazier, for instance, was never a threat to be a NFL quarterback. But he was great for what Nebraska did and the fact that he wasn't an NFL type quarterback didn't help Florida's outstanding 1995/1996 team any.

I just think Nebraska made a mistake a few years back. I don't think there's any doubt that their program went down instead of up after they decided to change their basic approach. It's been pretty good at times. But it's not the same as it was before.

I would have to say yes and no to your premise that a change in offensive philosophy is part of NU's downfall, but that philosophy started to change the day Dr. Tom decided to retire. TO was every bit an offensive genius in the way Steve Spurior, Bill Yeoman, Daryl Royal, and now Gus Malzahn and Chip Kelly are thought to be. You can't replace that mind and keep tweaking the offense like he did. It was always evolving. Solich is a good coach, but he doesn't have that kind of mind.

Combine the loss of that mind with less than stellar recruiting, the loss of Mcbride and things change.

I do think that if NU would have stayed the coarse with FS they would be in a better position than they are now. It's just my opinion, but I think Frank may have coached another 5-6 years and retired with his 100+ wins at NU and TG or Frost would now be the coach.

I am not disappointed with BP as the coach, he didn't break the system. He is working hard to get NU back to where we think we should be. I don't know if he will get us there or not. But it is a much more complicated problem than just firing a head coach and throwing lots of money at the flavor of the month, like many want to do.