A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

Make a change at the head coaching level.

to who?

This never ceases to crack me up. Fire Bo, get him outta here, but never who are you going to replace him with. Is it easy to say you want to fire somebody, but it's a hell of a lot harder to figure out a realistic replacement...

to who?

This never ceases to crack me up. Fire Bo, get him outta here, but never who are you going to replace him with. Is it easy to say you want to fire somebody, but it's a hell of a lot harder to figure out a realistic replacement...

Kirby Smart. Not the only option, and likely not the best option, but I'd make that trade today. That's the first one that came to mind.

Would he be better? I don't know. No one does. What I do know is that I'm ready for a change.

to who?

Kirby Smart. Not the only option, and likely not the best option, but I'd make that trade today. That's the first one that came to mind.

Would he be better? I don't know. No one does. What I do know is that I'm ready for a change.

But the realistic chance of him actually coming here? Why would you leave a team that is perennially in the national title hunt, even if you're the defensive coordinator?

But the realistic chance of him actually coming here? Why would you leave a team that is perennially in the national title hunt, even if you're the defensive coordinator?

Double the salary and a major head coaching gig? Yeah. He'd come here.

I don't share your optimism.

It's an interesting option, and the only viable one I've heard yet.

Would you like to get really broad and discuss duplicity and irony then? Because you have them down whether you know it or not.

giphy.gif

Has Bo sucked against superior competition, yes. It comes down to, do you want to give him a chance to better, or go after somebody who could do worse, because I really don't think you're going to get somebody better at this point...

What were the first 6 years?

The program underachieving and not taking advantage of opportunities at critical times. But what would you do to fix it?

Who would come here after firing another successful coach? I want actual names.

• Fire 1

Who would come here after firing another successful coach? I want actual names.

We have no way of knowing who is interested....but I bet there would be some quality candidates.

Carl brought up the only one that I've heard so far that has any merit, Kirby Smart...

Here is how you get "names".

Create a list of qualities you would like to see in a head coach, for example:

-previous experience as a head coach

-a good background in being a tenacious recruiter for the entire year, not just cramming the last three weeks like a student begging for a B- on the final

-a clear philosophy. Aka "my teams do (action X) well. No matter what"

-a motivator of maker of boys into men, and a strategy to do so other than fracturing a fanbase and turning it to a "us vs them" mentality.

Give these criterium to a hiring/headhunting agency and oversee the operation.

Kinda how we got Tim Miles.

But against my better judgement to provide names so I can be ridiculed, I'd get Joe Moglia here with a hotshot assistant as a coach in waiting in a heartbeat.

• Fire 3

Here is how you get "names".

Create a list of qualities you would like to see in a head coach, for example:

-previous experience as a head coach

-a good background in being a tenacious recruiter for the entire year, not just cramming the last three weeks like a student begging for a B- on the final

-a clear philosophy. Aka "my teams do (action X) well. No matter what"

-a motivator of maker of boys into men, and a strategy to do so other than fracturing a fanbase and turning it to a "us vs them" mentality.

Give these criterium to a hiring/headhunting agency and oversee the operation.

Kinda how we got Tim Miles.

But against my better judgement to provide names so I can be ridiculed, I'd get Joe Moglia here with a hotshot assistant as a coach in waiting in a heartbeat.

Well shucks, thanks for clearing that up for us...

Kirby Smart's another coordinator, and that's all I know about him. Wouldn't we be reticent about hiring another first time head coach?

A few names that I would've liked to see, had we made the change last year, would have been Jim Tressel, Chris Peterson and James Franklin. Yeah, it's easy to say "X would never have been interested", but we do not know that. It's up to the AD to court the coach and while this coach or that coach may have other dream schools, Nebraska is an objectively strong opportunity.

Tressel is still in play. For another name, how about Mississippi State's Dan Mullen? He's young (41), energetic, and stuck at a program like MSU. Not saying he's the best coaching prospect out there, just tossing out one of maybe five names I know. Can't see Moglia getting a shot here. That'd be certainly interesting, though.

To piggyback what NUpolo said, I think the criteria should be someone who will max effort recruit to the program, represent us well at all times, and build the brand. Big winners and elite coaches are rare, period, but as long as we are going through coaches that fit that criteria, I don't think we'll ever have too much to regret.

/wait, why are we talking about other coaches again?....gonna have to go back and read. haha.

• Fire 1

Kirby Smart's another coordinator, and that's all I know about him. Wouldn't we be reticent about hiring another first time head coach?

A few names that I would've liked to see, had we made the change last year, would have been Jim Tressel, Chris Peterson and James Franklin. Yeah, it's easy to say "X would never have been interested", but we do not know that. It's up to the AD to court the coach and while this coach or that coach may have other dream schools, Nebraska is an objectively strong opportunity.

Tressel is still in play. For another name, how about Mississippi State's Dan Mullen? He's young (41), energetic, and stuck at a program like MSU. Not saying he's the best coaching prospect out there, just tossing out one of maybe five names I know. Can't see Moglia getting a shot here. That'd be certainly interesting, though.

To piggyback what NUpolo said, I think the criteria should be someone who will max effort recruit to the program, represent us well at all times, and build the brand. Big winners and elite coaches are rare, period, but as long as we are going through coaches that fit that criteria, I don't think we'll ever have too much to regret.

/wait, why are we talking about other coaches again?....gonna have to go back and read. haha.

LOL. Some people. I dont get it either Zoogs. Now that Bo's tenure is being written off as a failure, it's mostly his inexperience as a head coach to blame. Yet when replacements are discussed, Kirby Smart and Scott Frost are names that most frequently pop up.

Also, after that display against Iowa, Bo keeping the job suggests to me that we probably cant get anyone better. Seriously. Rag on me all you want, but it's common sense to me. After the audio came out, SDSU ran up and down the field on us for a half, and then the meltdown after the Minnesota loss, you think the admin wasnt at the very least putting out some feelers? Preparing for the possible "wheels coming off" scenario? They were. You can bet your ass some possibilities were checked into. but there's a reason Bo is still the coach after he dared the all fearless Perlman and AD to "fire me if they wanna fire me".