A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

We've had at least one, if not two games every season for the past 3-4 seasons where a player or players has come out after the game and been quoted as saying "we were not prepared" or " we took them lightly", or "backed off a bit, let up". Multiple quotes I've heard from this team, the players and coaches, reflecting that mentality, so there's no need for us fans to debate it. The coaches and players acknowledge it vocally and demonstrate it each season, clearly it's an issue.

@ Fresno State 11-2

Miami 9-4

Thank goodness for Fresno losing Derek Carr -or- thank goodness we didn't play them last year. That has potential to be our Wyoming-like scare this year, but we should win it.

Miami might be a toss up, though.

Don't even get me started on Northwestern. Our struggles with them have absolutely nothing to do with "the changing landscape of college football". Given the resources of both football programs it should be a gimme, but sadly it probably won't work out that way again.

Ohio St and Michigan and Penn St have had their consistent problems over the years with Northwestern as well. Dating back a hell of a lot farther than 2011. So like many other things, this is not a "Nebraska" problem.

I don't think that's true. At least, not in the same way they've consistently given Nebraska problems since we joined the league. It's very specific to Nebraska.

And I get your point. Occasionally a bottom dweller does rise up and beat one of the big boys. That's not what we're talking about here, though. We should beat them by 2-3 scores far more often than they play us down to the wire, or even beat us. Yes, just based on resources. Because those resources lead to bigger, stronger, and faster football players. Which I think we have.

If NW on average was just as big, just as strong, and just as fast as us, then we could attribute it to "the changing landscape of college football". But that's just not the case.

• Fire 1

Everyone has games where they struggle against lesser opponents. It happens. it happens a lot. Probably more here than most, and yes, some things need to be corrected. But dotn act like it should never happen. And dont insinuate that facilities and resources solely win ball games and that we should beat NW by much higher margins because of such. Cuz that couldnt be father from the fact.

Youre insinuation that better facilities and resources make you entitled to wins means Bama and Texas should never lose a game. LOL. Bama cant even dominate their own DIVISION. And Texas.......

I think we all realize this, Mr. Account. But for good teams, these are unexpected. They might fall into the category of a 'trap game' and usually has little to do with who the opponent is, than the challenge of staying sharp every single week, particularly before/after a big game.

That's different than the argument that a Northwestern or Minnesota or Fresno should be viewed as a contested matchup. You're right, though, with recent history it's hard to say otherwise. And while NW had a terrible conference record last year, they are at least still generally regarded as a well-coached team.

A long time has passed since I expected Nebraska to win every game. Now I set my goals, on well played games, great attitude and no media melt downs. Last year started off poorly, seemed to get better and then showed an improved defense at the end. The bowl game for me showed that there is hope for this coaching staff, if it can keep itself under control.

I think we have adequate talent to play in the Big, but not on the National level. I really do not see the need for excuses, the pattern has been in process since the Colorado loss. Money, buildings, trophies do not win games. Coaching and talent win games. We are short on the last two unfortunately.

If we had the premier resources in college football, we'd be hearing names like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban put out feelers.....like Saban did toward the end of the season with Texas. Urban Meyer is a great coach, and a smart enough coach to know there's only a VERY few places he'd be interested in coaching. Places with resources and talent at his fingertips.

Oh, I'm sorry.....let me rephrase a specific question about one of the premier programs in the country as far as resources that we call DONU..........neither Meyer or Saban would come to Nebraska because a) we wouldn't take a look at either of them....or b) neither of them would take a look at us? Again, this is based on available resources, which every elite coach wants at their disposal.

Oh, I'm sorry.....let me rephrase a specific question about one of the premier programs in the country as far as resources that we call DONU..........neither Meyer or Saban would come to Nebraska because a) we wouldn't take a look at either of them....or b) neither of them would take a look at us? Again, this is based on available resources, which every elite coach wants at their disposal.

I assure you that NU's resources are beyond adequate for an elite coach. This has been covered

We've had at least one, if not two games every season for the past 3-4 seasons where a player or players has come out after the game and been quoted as saying "we were not prepared" or " we took them lightly", or "backed off a bit, let up". Multiple quotes I've heard from this team, the players and coaches, reflecting that mentality, so there's no need for us fans to debate it. The coaches and players acknowledge it vocally and demonstrate it each season, clearly it's an issue.
I'd be alarmed if it weren't for he fact the every team in the country says that after they lose. It's like clockwork, just like the "we're working harder, faster, stronger, closer, etc..." talk that dominates spring football.
Becuase theyre not excuses. Theyre reasons.
I've seen people saying losing TM for the season as a reason for last year's disappointing result is an excuse. Blows my mind.

When people use TM's injury (one example of many) to justify last year's disappointing result, that's an excuse, by definition.

a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.

You may find that word to be unfavorable, but it's not misused.

Agreed. It's not misused in definition. But I think there's a clear distinction--that is so often intentionally or otherwise ignored by people who have an unfavorable opinion of the state of the program--between excuses that are controllable and manageable and excuses that can't be accounted for. Excuses that are controllable shouldn't be given the chance to be used as an excuse. Saying that we weren't prepared for the game as a reason to why we lost is all fine and good, but it's very telling of the ability of our coaching staff. But excuses that can't be accounted for are legitimate reasons. Our offense wasn't good last year because Taylor Martinez was injured; and any injury to a starting quarterback is going to damage an offense, whether you're Baylor or Akron.

So yes, the word excuse isn't being misused, but it's being used as a blanket term when that really isn't the case.

• Fire 1

I assure you that NU's resources are beyond adequate for an elite coach. This has been covered

By resources, you have to include local talent. It's one thing Nebraska severely lacks. Our local recruiting base is non-existent compared to other top programs. Which means NU needs to innovate and figure out how to catch up. This year looks promising.
Becuase theyre not excuses. Theyre reasons.
I've seen people saying losing TM for the season as a reason for last year's disappointing result is an excuse. Blows my mind.

When people use TM's injury (one example of many) to justify last year's disappointing result, that's an excuse, by definition.

a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.

You may find that word to be unfavorable, but it's not misused.

Agreed. It's not misused in definition. But I think there's a clear distinction--that is so often intentionally or otherwise ignored by people who have an unfavorable opinion of the state of the program--between excuses that are controllable and manageable and excuses that can't be accounted for. Excuses that are controllable shouldn't be given the chance to be used as an excuse. Saying that we weren't prepared for the game as a reason to why we lost is all fine and good, but it's very telling of the ability of our coaching staff. But excuses that can't be accounted for are legitimate reasons. Our offense wasn't good last year because Taylor Martinez was injured; and any injury to a starting quarterback is going to damage an offense, whether you're Baylor or Akron.

So yes, the word excuse isn't being misused, but it's being used as a blanket term when that really isn't the case.

yup, it's a crutch counter argument.

If it were only a Northwestern problem, I'd be happy to write it off too, but group Northwestern with Minnesota and Wyoming last year, or even the first half of the SDSU game, Iowa St, Fresno St and the rest, and it's a sign of the team not preparing for games that should never be in question.

That's a good point, but didn't the other teams in the B1G also struggle with Minnesota last year? SDSU and Wyoming were quite clearly the young defense struggling - the offense looked fine. Previous years against Iowa St., Fresno St., Wisconsin twice, and even Texas Tech and others, NU was clearly under prepared or lacking motivation or something.

Having we gotten better in that area the last 2 seasons? I think so, but do you? I guess the real question is whether we'll be better this coming season, and there's no way to know until we play some games.

There were two clear games where it looked like the team didn't care (Minnesota and Iowa, maybe even Wyoming). There was another game where they clearly weren't mentally ready (I'm sorry but you can't turn the ball over like what happened against MSU and say they were prepared.). And finally there was one where they decided one half was enough effort (UCLA).

So no, I wouldn't say there was improvement. I'd say it's been about the same. Which is a downer to be sure. I'm really looking forward to what kind of leadership Armstrong can bring though.

I can see your views here. I just view those same events less pessimistically (or less critically or whatever). I agree the Huskers looked unmotivated against Minnesota but not Iowa and definitely not Wyoming. I'm torn between whether the team was unprepared against MSU, or it was more that all 5 TO's involved freshmen. The schemes looked good on both sides of the ball against an eventual top 5 team. And definitely half-assed the second half against UCLA. Not sure what exactly to attribute that to.

So my view is only one game where we were unmotivated (Minn), one a combination of preparation and youth (MSU), and one bewildering half (UCLA). MSU was reall good, UCLA was good, and Minn was decent, so not too bad compared to the previous years IMO. Maybe it's just a mirage, but I believe the team (coaches and players) is getting better at preparation and motivation.