A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

Oh, I'm sorry.....let me rephrase a specific question about one of the premier programs in the country as far as resources that we call DONU..........neither Meyer or Saban would come to Nebraska because a) we wouldn't take a look at either of them....or b) neither of them would take a look at us? Again, this is based on available resources, which every elite coach wants at their disposal.

I assure you that NU's resources are beyond adequate for an elite coach. This has been covered

By resources, you have to include local talent. It's one thing Nebraska severely lacks. Our local recruiting base is non-existent compared to other top programs. Which means NU needs to innovate and figure out how to catch up. This year looks promising.

We aren't breaking new ground here for Gods sake. We have five National Championship Trophies in glass at Memorial Stadium. It's been done here before. When we weren't winning titles, we still competed at a very high level and have earned the distinction as one of the nations elite football programs. This was before all the advantages modern technology has given us. There's no debating it's easier to reach further and see more athletes now a days. It's been done here before...... This argument is stale. People need to stop pretending Nebraska is some poor unfortunate hobbled program that can't compete with the big boys, its ridiculous.

• Fire 4

Becuase theyre not excuses. Theyre reasons.
I've seen people saying losing TM for the season as a reason for last year's disappointing result is an excuse. Blows my mind.

When people use TM's injury (one example of many) to justify last year's disappointing result, that's an excuse, by definition.

a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.

You may find that word to be unfavorable, but it's not misused.

Agreed. It's not misused in definition. But I think there's a clear distinction--that is so often intentionally or otherwise ignored by people who have an unfavorable opinion of the state of the program--between excuses that are controllable and manageable and excuses that can't be accounted for. Excuses that are controllable shouldn't be given the chance to be used as an excuse. Saying that we weren't prepared for the game as a reason to why we lost is all fine and good, but it's very telling of the ability of our coaching staff. But excuses that can't be accounted for are legitimate reasons. Our offense wasn't good last year because Taylor Martinez was injured; and any injury to a starting quarterback is going to damage an offense, whether you're Baylor or Akron.

So yes, the word excuse isn't being misused, but it's being used as a blanket term when that really isn't the case.

The excuses are indeed ever-changing. The results seem to remain eerily similar year after year, however.

The fact that recruits are so much more readily available to all 126 FBS programs is a major factor as to why weve dropped off a bit. When Nebraska was one of maybe 10 teams on tv every week or so we were much more attractive. Now flip on one of 50 some cable channels and boom, Old Dominion vs Alabama State.

This isnt an issue we cant overcome though. Like the ret of the college football world, we must adapt with it. I feel this is starting to happen.

We could look past them but I doubt it. Hard to overlook an opponenet youve never played, extra detali gets paid to new foes.

2011 waves hi.

Today I learned preparing for 1 new opponent is the same as 12.

And I learned they can still be overlooked. Like, say, Northwestern. At home.