A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

What's Miami's problem? I know their fans suck and don't fill the stadium but they have all the talent right there in Florida, play in the Dolphins stadium and what better scenery could you offer recruits?

Very true. They went 9-4 last year but they had some blowouts. FSU had some down years too so I think it's all about getting the right coaches there who can not only get the recruits but who can coach and develop them and who know how to put a team together. It seems like Al Golden has done a good job of getting them back on track after Randy Shannon's short time there.

• Fire 1

Oh, I'm sorry.....let me rephrase a specific question about one of the premier programs in the country as far as resources that we call DONU..........neither Meyer or Saban would come to Nebraska because a) we wouldn't take a look at either of them....or b) neither of them would take a look at us? Again, this is based on available resources, which every elite coach wants at their disposal.

I assure you that NU's resources are beyond adequate for an elite coach. This has been covered

By resources, you have to include local talent. It's one thing Nebraska severely lacks. Our local recruiting base is non-existent compared to other top programs. Which means NU needs to innovate and figure out how to catch up. This year looks promising.

We aren't breaking new ground here for Gods sake. We have five National Championship Trophies in glass at Memorial Stadium. It's been done here before. When we weren't winning titles, we still competed at a very high level and have earned the distinction as one of the nations elite football programs. This was before all the advantages modern technology has given us. There's no debating it's easier to reach further and see more athletes now a days. It's been done here before...... This argument is stale. People need to stop pretending Nebraska is some poor unfortunate hobbled program that can't compete with the big boys, its ridiculous.

Yet as much as we hear recruits say that they don't even know where Nebraska is, that they had no idea that the facilities are that nice, that they thought that the school was located in the middle of a snow covered corn field, that they say they'd rather play 300 miles from home as opposed to 1500 miles from home, the reality never sinks in to some.

Cuz darn it, we're Nebraska, and I want us to be the same program we were 20 years ago,,so it should just magically happen. It is our birthright.....

Yet as much as we hear recruits say that they don't even know where Nebraska is, that they had no idea that the facilities are that nice, that they thought that the school was located in the middle of a snow covered corn field, that they say they'd rather play 300 miles from home as opposed to 1500 miles from home, the reality never sinks in to some.

Cuz darn it, we're Nebraska, and I want us to be the same program we were 20 years ago,,so it should just magically happen. It is our birthright.....

we still have talented teams. the problem is that we are embarrassed by other talented teams and struggle against less talented teams.

we still have talented teams. the problem is that we are embarrassed by other talented teams and struggle against less talented teams.

Right, we should never have to suffer through 9 and 10 win seasons. Oh, the humanity.....

• Fire 1

Right, we should never have to suffer through 9 and 10 win seasons. Oh, the humanity.....

9-10 seasons should probably be the average, but it would be nice to exceed that every once in awhile.

• Fire 2

I don't expect it to 'just magically happen.' I expect it would take a pretty extraordinary coach.

Oh, I'm sorry.....let me rephrase a specific question about one of the premier programs in the country as far as resources that we call DONU..........neither Meyer or Saban would come to Nebraska because a) we wouldn't take a look at either of them....or b) neither of them would take a look at us? Again, this is based on available resources, which every elite coach wants at their disposal.

I assure you that NU's resources are beyond adequate for an elite coach. This has been covered

By resources, you have to include local talent. It's one thing Nebraska severely lacks. Our local recruiting base is non-existent compared to other top programs. Which means NU needs to innovate and figure out how to catch up. This year looks promising.

We aren't breaking new ground here for Gods sake. We have five National Championship Trophies in glass at Memorial Stadium. It's been done here before. When we weren't winning titles, we still competed at a very high level and have earned the distinction as one of the nations elite football programs. This was before all the advantages modern technology has given us. There's no debating it's easier to reach further and see more athletes now a days. It's been done here before...... This argument is stale. People need to stop pretending Nebraska is some poor unfortunate hobbled program that can't compete with the big boys, its ridiculous.

Birthright huh? I guess I didn't know things were that bad. They don't know where Nebraska is? Sounds like an educational problem.......I hope we get that straightened out.

I just don't want a replay of 2009 where the defense is crazy good, but the offense is suspect...

I'm hoping for 10-2 with a shot to play in the CCG...

I just don't want a replay of 2009 where the defense is crazy good, but the offense is incapable of scoring touchdowns....

I'm hoping for 10-2 with a shot to play in the CCG...

FIFY

what?

What's Miami's problem? I know their fans suck and don't fill the stadium but they have all the talent right there in Florida, play in the Dolphins stadium and what better scenery could you offer recruits?

Very true. They went 9-4 last year but they had some blowouts. FSU had some down years too so I think it's all about getting the right coaches there who can not only get the recruits but who can coach and develop them and who know how to put a team together. It seems like Al Golden has done a good job of getting them back on track after Randy Shannon's short time there.

The state of Florida is extremely bandwagon. There aren't alot of "diehards" the root for the local schools like you see up north. Oh sure, you have the core group for each fanbase, but it's entirely common to see people's cars have any combination of UF/FSU/UM/USF stickers on it. Those folks gravitate towards whoever is winning. Then, you have all the people that still hold onto their northern allegiances (for me, it's CFB, I root local for pro sports).

Miami is also a pretty sh**ty city. Sure south beach is famous and all, but it's not a great place to live. I'd much rather go south to the Keys or north to Ft. Lauderdale if I had to. It's not surprise to see UM get such bad support. This is from their home opener last year...

Miami_Crowd_SunLife.jpeg

I don't see them getting much (if at all ) better than last year. Golden has lost almost all his games against the top 30, something along the lines of 42-10.

Golden has lost almost all his games against the top 30, something along the lines of 42-10.

At Miami, Golden is 3/9 against top 25 teams. ----- 33%.

At Nebraska, Pelini is 8/23 against top 25 teams. ---35%

(Feel free to double check, math has never been my strong suit. I didn't use top 30 because the rankings weren't listed beyond top 25 on the site that I was using.)

He's also been at Miami for only three seasons. He probably needs six more because Osborne took 9 years to win the conference outright and not via tiebreakers.

Apologies in advance for the snark. I guess I'd be surprised if Miami were much better this year as well.

• Fire 2