Phil Steele says no dice for Huskers in AP

"Did any of those officials tell you during the game you were going to get jobbed?'' I asked.

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

"I won't say,'' he said. "But it was highway robbery. An absolute joke. I've moved on.''

http://www.cbssports...156338/31035411

Read this one

- Five of seven opponents are penalized FEWER TIMES when playing against Nebraska.

- Six of seven opponents are penalized for LESS total yardage when playing Nebraska.

- Six of seven opponents have a Penalty Score that is DRAGGED DOWN when including the Nebraska game.

Parrish says in his final paragraph above that he doesn’t think there’s an all out conspiracy by the Big XII, Dan Beebe, and the referees to get Nebraska. The favoritism shown to Nebraska’s Big XII opponents seems to disagree.

http://www.thevictor...ska-conspiracy/

There was also a thread on either texags or the aggie scout site (can't remember) discussing this officiating (and how A&M was getting the same treatment) the following year when A&M got hosed on their way out. I'll see if I can find it, but there were either some overly detailed stories being told, or there was some modicum of truth to it.

edited for quote clarity

These are interesting pieces. I have to wonder why the refs would go along with this. Or why Nebraska didn't file grievances with the NCAA. Or maybe they did.

I don't think the A&M game was an explicit, commissioner meets with the refs before the game and says, "Make sure those a$$hole$ don't win" kind of thing ala Remember the Titans, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think there was a pretty heavy bias in that game, even if it wasn't intentional or conscious.

Most of the penalties on us were legitimate, but then you have A&M's odd lack of penalties (i think that includes two or three PI calls against them that got waved off after being thrown), stuff like the Ben Cotton leg pinch (with no punishment), and the absolutely asinine roughing the passer call and that was not going to be our night, but we still played like garbage on offense.

The same officiating crew did Nebraska’s games against Texas, Iowa State and Texas A&M. In those games, the Huskers were flagged 32 times for 293 yards. Their opponents were called for just 9 penalties for 103 yards (a difference of almost 8 flags and over 63 yards per game). Compare this to the Huskers’ 4 other Big 12 games this year in which the penalty discrepancy was less than 1 flag and 8 yards per game.

- Five of seven opponents are penalized FEWER TIMES when playing against Nebraska.

- Six of seven opponents are penalized for LESS total yardage when playing Nebraska.

- Six of seven opponents have a Penalty Score that is DRAGGED DOWN when including the Nebraska game.

Parrish says in his final paragraph above that he doesn’t think there’s an all out conspiracy by the Big XII, Dan Beebe, and the referees to get Nebraska. The favoritism shown to Nebraska’s Big XII opponents seems to disagree.

http://www.thevictor...ska-conspiracy/

Yet there is ZERO possiblity that Pelini's sideline behavior negatively impacts the Huskers.

This was down in the notes of that article you linked Saunders...interesting...

Here's some food for thought:

The officiating crew in that Texas A&M that worked the 2009 Big 12 championship game, where an extra second was placed on the clock so Texas could kick a game winning field goal. The same crew worked the 2010 Nebraska-Iowa State game, where Nebraska needed overtime to beat the Cyclones.

In the A&M game referenced, Nebraska set a school record for penalties, while the Aggies were whistled for their fewest penalties in years.

Some stats:

K. St., Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Kansas games (other officiating crews)

Total Penalties

Nebraska = 25 penalties -210 yards

Opponents = 20 penalties -163 yards

Average penalties per game

Nebraska = 6.25 penalties-52.5 yards

Opponents = 5 penalties -40.75 yards

Texas ('09), Iowa State, A&M games (same officiating crew)

Total Penalties

Nebraska = 32 penalties -293 yards

Opponents = 9 penalties -103 yards

Nebraska = 11 penalties -98 yards

Opponents = 3 penalties -34 yards

I am pretty sure sd'sker is referring to the notion that you believe(or have proof) that the refs colluded to make the game bad for the Huskers and then proceeded to tell the coaches that was what was going to happen.

precisely, but also the notion that they also did it to appease aTm. as if a win against neb. would somehow sway them to refuse any hard offer the SEC was about to make to them.

Yeah that's the most ridiculous excuse for a loss by a team that had BCS aspirations where the offense was nonexistent and couldn't keep laundry off the field I've maybe ever heard.

One day I'll hear about the losses in the Bo Pelini era where there weren't outside influences where it was impossible for him to win.

One day, you'll make an actual argument that isn't propped up by a strawman.

Heh. Ok.

The officiating crew in that Texas A&M that worked the 2009 Big 12 championship game, where an extra second was placed on the clock so Texas could kick a game winning field goal. The same crew worked the 2010 Nebraska-Iowa State game, where Nebraska needed overtime to beat the Cyclones.

In the A&M game referenced, Nebraska set a school record for penalties, while the Aggies were whistled for their fewest penalties in years.

Some stats:

Total Penalties

Total Penalties

yeah, the Greg Burke crew. The same guy who penalized us when AJ Klein tried to rip Rex Burkheads, um, head off, and when Ben cotton got his nuts grabbed.

Some stats:

Total Penalties

Total Penalties

yeah, the Greg Burke crew. The same guy who penalized us when AJ Klein tried to rip Rex Burkheads, um, head off, and when Ben cotton got his nuts grabbed.

Just tossin this out here.......

The scored six points and the verbal assault on a freshman QB probably led to a loss far more than the other two plays you mentioned.

• Fire 1

The scored six points and the verbal assault on a freshman QB probably led to a loss far more than the other two plays you mentioned.

How bout the two plays where we get called for roughing the passer when they were facing 4th down and punting late, and they get called for pass interference but it gets waved off after we are driving to tie or win it ^_^:rickjames

Some stats:

Total Penalties

Total Penalties

Just tossin it out there. A&M had a questionable call on every one of their scoring drives, including this beauty:

A&M had their lowest penalites called against them in 4 years (they averaged 8 per game in 2010 IIRC), and the highest against an opponent in 5 years. That seems... odd.

Sure NU didn't help themselves that game by playing poorly on offense, but the refs also picked up flags PI flags twice that would have had NU in Alex Henery FG range, and we had to punt. IIRC, they pick up 4 total flags against A&M, and zero against Nebraska.

How bout the two plays where we get called for roughing the passer when they were facing 4th down and punting late, and they get called for pass interference but it gets waved off after we are driving to tie or win it ^_^:rickjames

Mmmmmm hmmm. Whatever. Six points. And it was four years ago.

Then I guess we should get back to talking about Bo Pelini. Wouldn't want to rehash old topics, eh?

Then I guess we should get back to talking about Bo Pelini. Wouldn't want to rehash old topics, eh?

Well this was a loss where he lost control....so I guess there's that.

Well this was a loss where he lost control....so I guess there's that.

I would have lost my sh#t too.