Rancher vs. Feds

I don't think the delay emboldened him at all. I think if the feds had tried to round up his cattle 10 years ago there would have been a stand off 10 years ago. The guy is an idiot and everyone who is supporting him are idiots also.

Completely agree. Crazies are going to crazy.

I don't think the delay emboldened him at all. I think if the feds had tried to round up his cattle 10 years ago there would have been a stand off 10 years ago. The guy is an idiot and everyone who is supporting him are idiots also.

Yeah, I don't think it would have been any different if they attempted it earlier, either.

This. BLM was clearly just trying to avoid a big mess, but it turns out it was inevitable.

The fact that the gov't let this linger, just empowered this guy even more. Nobody was stopping him, so what he thought he was doing wasn't wrong...

Actually, that's not accurate. He just chose to ignore the court orders.

If you're just sending him pieces of paper telling him to stop, and he's ignoring you, then you are doing nothing to stop him. Thats just being lazy...

They were?

My idea of, 20 years ago, sending in a BLM representative, informing the rancher he's got 30 days to remove his cattle from gov't property is "guns blazing"?

Letting this problem go on, just shows laziness by the BLM.

They tried something like that . . .

Bundy has repeatedly been fined for grazing his cattle on the protected land, fines he has not paid since 1993. The Bureau of Land Management, which oversees about 800 grazing areas in Nevada, responded by revoking his permit. Bundy has not applied for a new one.

. . .

1998: A federal judge issues a permanent injunction against Bundy, ordering him to remove his cattle from the federal lands. He lost an appeal to the San Francisco 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. He represented himself.

http://www.washingto...ral-government/

So, let me get this straight.

According to this, in 93 they revoked his permit. They wait 5 years to take him to court?

Obviously they let this go on far too long, and didn't care enough to actually make something that resembled an effort.

They were?

My idea of, 20 years ago, sending in a BLM representative, informing the rancher he's got 30 days to remove his cattle from gov't property is "guns blazing"?

Letting this problem go on, just shows laziness by the BLM.

They tried something like that . . .

Bundy has repeatedly been fined for grazing his cattle on the protected land, fines he has not paid since 1993. The Bureau of Land Management, which oversees about 800 grazing areas in Nevada, responded by revoking his permit. Bundy has not applied for a new one.

. . .

1998: A federal judge issues a permanent injunction against Bundy, ordering him to remove his cattle from the federal lands. He lost an appeal to the San Francisco 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. He represented himself.

http://www.washingto...ral-government/

So, let me get this straight.

According to this, in 93 they revoked his permit. They wait 5 years to take him to court?

Obviously they let this go on far too long, and didn't care enough to actually make something that resembled an effort.

Realistically though, the BLM has a fairly small number of people, and an enormous amount of land to watch, it really wouldnt be that hard to avoid detection. And without a complaint from someone, odds of finding out is kinda slim. If he had not violated rules before, the BLM is going to assume he complied and stopped using the land. That is what the majority of people would do afterall.

One more thing - Bundy does not own any of these lands. They are federal lands managed by the BLM. They are not his to do anything with, especially since his grazing permits were revoked (I don't recall when, but I'm sure it was long ago...hence the trespassing cows). So there is no land grab going on by the feds or Reid or anyone else...the feds already own that land and the BLM manages it. But thanks for playing.

Edit - And Glenn Beck is a piece of sh#t, however the site has done something right at least...

http://www.theblaze....cher-situation/

That pretty much sinks all arguments and conspiracy theories here.

How crazy do you have to be to have a far right conspiracy theory that GLENN BECK is debunking? oof.

The kind of guy that relies on Alex Jones for information. :/

Realistically though, the BLM has a fairly small number of people, and an enormous amount of land to watch, it really wouldnt be that hard to avoid detection. And without a complaint from someone, odds of finding out is kinda slim. If he had not violated rules before, the BLM is going to assume he complied and stopped using the land. That is what the majority of people would do afterall.

But they knew about this. His permit had been revoked. At that point the local office of the BLM, wouldn't they contact the county sherriff, and let the guy know he needs to move his cattle. But yet they wait 5 years to take the guy to court? How halfassed is that?

But they knew about this. His permit had been revoked. At that point the local office of the BLM, wouldn't they contact the county sherriff, and let the guy know he needs to move his cattle. But yet they wait 5 years to take the guy to court? How halfassed is that?

I've been involved in court cases before where the process was started and then it took almost that long to go to court. Just because the court case wasn't heard for 5 years doesn't mean they weren't doing anything.

The fact that the gov't let this linger, just empowered this guy even more. Nobody was stopping him, so what he thought he was doing wasn't wrong...

Actually, that's not accurate. He just chose to ignore the court orders.

If you're just sending him pieces of paper telling him to stop, and he's ignoring you, then you are doing nothing to stop him. Thats just being lazy...

Ummm...that's what they just tried doing and look what happened? They ended up with a bunch of idiots with guns pointed at them.