Net Neutrality, or How the Telecom Companies Killed the Internet

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere, but let's assume for a second that there was "AN END TO NET NEUTRALITY" but it was under a heavily regulated system. I ask if this is possible because it seems to me that services like Netflix, Youtube, etc. require more resources to make function properly because of the type of service they provide. Does Huskerboard need the same fast lane as Netflix? Would it change your average user's experience if Netflix got preferred speeds for money.

I admit that I am about as conservative as it gets when it comes to the internet. I like that it's basically the wild west and I despise the idea of companies being able to buy something extremely valuable while the little guy is cut out. The thing is, when everyone starts panicking about something, it leaves me with more questions than I started with. Like, is this new policy--assuming it ever takes effect at all--really going to blow up the internet?

Undoubtedly Netflix requires more resources to run than Huskerboard, but they already pay for that in the form of much, much more storage, servers, maintenance, and so on. And it's not like Netflix or Google couldn't afford it. They assuredly could, but the fresh new startup can't. That's bad for innovation.

At least that's my admittedly superficial take on it.

Just a random question that came to mind reading your post.

Shouldn't a company that makes a profit off of using a much higher amount of bandwidth than someone else pay more to use the internet?

No, because the consumer is the one paying for the internet access, not the websites. ISP's (TW, Comcast, etc...) have been banking on oversubscribing the amount of users for a data line, and now that the consumers are starting to use that amount of data they were promised and are paying for, the ISP's want to stick it to VOD providers (like Netflix). It shouldn't matter if I download 50 gigs of software, HD video, or play games. But the ISP's want to double dip (charge end users and providers) to keep their enormous profits. This is also why you're starting to see talks of bandwidth caps. It's a crock. The US infrastructure is lagging compared to other 1st world countries.

I have zero faith that net neutrality will remain. The lobbyists are well connected in the government (Comcast President regularly plays golf with President Obama), and Congress is full of retards.

• Fire 3

This video is fantastic. It's very informative and hilarious. It's clearly in support of Net Neutrality but at this point I struggle to figure out why any consumers would be against it.

There are a few bad words but well worth the 15 minutes to listen to it.

Absolutely brilliant.

• Fire 1

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere, but let's assume for a second that there was "AN END TO NET NEUTRALITY" but it was under a heavily regulated system. I ask if this is possible because it seems to me that services like Netflix, Youtube, etc. require more resources to make function properly because of the type of service they provide. Does Huskerboard need the same fast lane as Netflix? Would it change your average user's experience if Netflix got preferred speeds for money.

I admit that I am about as conservative as it gets when it comes to the internet. I like that it's basically the wild west and I despise the idea of companies being able to buy something extremely valuable while the little guy is cut out. The thing is, when everyone starts panicking about something, it leaves me with more questions than I started with. Like, is this new policy--assuming it ever takes effect at all--really going to blow up the internet?

It would effectively end new competition. No one who wanted to start up a new business that needed consumers to have bandwidth would be able to afford it. If this policy had existed 15 years ago, we would not have Youtube, Netflix, or any streaming video. Online videogames would not exist. iTunes? nope. Very simply the internet would not be the way it is today.

The whole issue is very simple. The telecoms have hot a breaking point with what they can charge for what are NOT first world internet speeds, so they are trying to find a new way to boost stock prices. And if we did not have monopolies in this industry in the first place, it would not really even be an issue. But there is obvious collusion between the telecoms to not compete with each other.

And just wait for the US being sued in international court by European businesses that are not going to pay.

It would effectively end new competition. No one who wanted to start up a new business that needed consumers to have bandwidth would be able to afford it. If this policy had existed 15 years ago, we would not have Youtube, Netflix, or any streaming video. Online videogames would not exist. iTunes? nope. Very simply the internet would not be the way it is today.

The whole issue is very simple. The telecoms have hot a breaking point with what they can charge for what are NOT first world internet speeds, so they are trying to find a new way to boost stock prices. And if we did not have monopolies in this industry in the first place, it would not really even be an issue. But there is obvious collusion between the telecoms to not compete with each other.

And just wait for the US being sued in international court by European businesses that are not going to pay.

I think between you and Oliver, I'm swayed.

• 3 months later...

A bump of an old, yet relevant topic--net neutrality. The extended window for comments to the FCC on their proposal to all ISPs to install 'pay lanes' (read: hold bandwidth hostage) is about to close.

If you'd like to sound off and haven't done so already, please go to this article, and it will walk you through how to submit your comment on this change:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-yell-at-the-fcc-about-how-much-you-hate-its-net-1576943170

Those comments are piling up:

LINK

The net neutrality debate has generated a record 1,477,301 public comments to the Federal Communications Commission, the agency said Wednesday, surpassing the 1.4 million complaints sparked by Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction at the 2004 Super Bowl.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler went back to the drawing board on net neutrality after a federal court tossed the agency’s previous set of rules for ensuring all Web traffic is treated equally. But Wheeler’s new proposal has sparked controversy for allowing Internet service providers like Verizon, AT&T and Comcast to charge content companies for an online fast lane — a move critics say would undermine the goal of net neutrality.

The comment total is likely to climb as a result of the symbolic “Internet slowdown” protest going on Wednesday. Netflix, Reddit and other websites are featuring an image of a loading symbol — the spinning wheel of death — to illustrate the dangers of Internet slow lanes and make the case for more robust net neutrality rules. The images link to a site that lets people send comments to the FCC, Congress and the White House.