2014 NFL Draft

I spent forever doing a mock draft.. here it is:

2014 Draft:

1. Houston Texans- Very interesting situation here. I think the Texans want Khalil Mack and he actually fits their system here. Clowney would have to move to more of a OLB in this system and I am not sure if that is where he is best utilized. The problem for Houston is finding a trade partner but still getting Mack. I think they end up trading this pick to Atlanta. Get some extra picks and then hope Mack or Johnny football falls to them. Houston gets the 6th pick this year a first next year and this year’s 3rd rounder.

THE PICK: (TRADE)Atlanta Falcons select: Jadeveon Clowney, DE- South Carolina

2. St. Louis- Do they go splash here and grab a big name ala Sammy Watkins or even trade Bradford to add a new QB? While that would be fun, I think they would rather just try their best to protect their current QB and hope a WR falls to the 13th pick

THE PICK: St. Louis select: Greg Robinson, OT- Auburn

3. Jacksonville- This pick is very interesting to me because Jacksonville has many needs. They should take Khalil Mack if they want to get the best player, but the splash pick is either Sammy Watkins or Johnny Football. I think they want to create some hype/excitement.

THE PICK: Jacksonville select: Johnny Manziel, QB- Texas A&M

4. Cleveland- Losing the chance at Johnny Football is a huge kick in the pants for them. I think they badly want Johnny. They want a “Hype pick” and I don’t think that any other QB fits that for them. I think they have a choice.. go boring: Offensive Tackle or go splash with Watkins.

THE PICK: Cleveland Browns select: Sammy Watkins, WR- Clemson

5. Oakland Raiders- Oakland likes to make splashes, and they are practically running up to the podium and are going to be getting the guy who excites me the most in this draft.

THE PICK: Oakland Raiders select: Khalil Mack, OLB- Buffalo

6. Atlanta Falcons- This pick was traded to Houston who might now be a little sad. I think the two guys they wanted were Manziel and Mack. They added extra picks and I think this allows them to still go get a guy for the future, but shock just about everyone with this pick.

THE PICK: Houston Texans select: Blake Bortles, QB- Central Florida

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Will they draft a QB and trade Glennon? I think they hold off and try and grab Derek Carr later in the day. They go for a big possession receiver here.

THE PICK: Tampa Bay Buccaneers select: Mike Evans, WR- Texas AM

8. The Minnesota Vikings have already shook up their defense a bit this offseason and are still searching for that QB. With Cassel resigning, they have an opportunity to get a QB qho can wait a year. I think Bortles might have been the pick if he was available, but instead they add some picks and trade this selection to the Dallas Cowboys for the Cowboys 16th pick, their second round pick this year and 2015 4th rounder.

THE PICK: Dallas Cowboys select: Aaron Donald, DT- Pittsburgh

9. Buffalo Bills- The Bills need O-line help badly to try and protect whoever is healthy enough to throw the pigskin around for them. I don’t think they try to make a splash, instead they just go after the best O-lineman.

THE PICK: Buffalo Bills select: Jake Matthews, OT- Texas A&M

10. Detroit Lions- This pick seems to be wide open. Do they go after another dynamic offensive guy like TE Eric Ebron or do they add a defensive stud. The cornerback depth is pretty good in the draft, as is the linebacker depth… TE depth isn’t. While this might not be the right pick for needs, I think Detroit goes BPA.

THE PICK: Detroit Lions select: Eric Ebron, TE- North Carolina

11. Tennessee Titans- Rocky QB situation might make them want to make a reach here for Bridgewater or Carr, but I think the past shows you to wait and see and go after the most talented player here.

THE PICK: Tennessee Titans select Anthony Barr, OLB – UCLA

12. New York- The Giants need interior line help to give Eli a chance to breathe. I am not a big Zach Martin guy in the top 15 because of the depth of the draft, mainly because I think taking an OG this early can be a waste, but there is less risk with those guys… pencil him in for the next 7 years.

THE PICK: New York Giants select Zach Martin, OG- Notre Dame

13. St. Louis- The rams get a great player at #2, but maybe go another route if they realized they could have got lewan here. They can go get a very good CB with this pick and they have really 4 guys to pick from. I think they go the safest bet with this pick to help fix the Defense.

THE PICK: Justin Gilbert, CB- Oklahoma State

14. Chicago- the Bears have a hell of an offensive unit with a dynamic WR duo and a QB who can hopefully stay healthy. They need to keep strengthening the Defense and adding former Viking Jared Allen is a good start. Now they need to add some DB help to stop the high-powered passing

THE PICK: Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, S- Alabama

15. Pittsburgh- The Steelers are in the same division as AJ Green, which means you can never have enough good Cornerbacks… Honestly, just put 4 guys on Green and pray he can be stopped. The Steel Curtain is going to add a guy who has been flying up draft boards and is ranked by many as the top CB out there.

THE PICK: Darqueze Dennard, CB- Michigan State

16. .Dallas- Originally this was owned by Dallas, but the Vikings added some picks and draft here now. The Vikings are looking to add talent on the defensive side, but I think they are comfortable with adding a big weapon offensively. At this point all those guys are gone, and while linebacker would be a big pick, I think there is one guy that can make the Vikings very dangerous.

THE PICK: Minnesota Vikings select: Calvin Pryor, S- Louisville

17. Baltimore- One of the biggest guys to drop is the very physical OT from Michigan Taylor Lewan. He feels an area of need for Baltimore on the right side. Not sure how Lewan fits there compared to being an LT, but high value at #17.

THE PICK: Baltimore Ravens select: Taylor Lewan, OT- Michigan

18. New York- Jets have a few places they can take this pick. Draft a CB for the second year in a row, or add another offensive weapon alongside newly signed Eric Decker. Beckham adds speed. Can also add Kyle Fuller at Corner to help. Tough move.. but if you know the jets…..

THE PICK: New York Jets select: Odell Beckham Jr., WR-LSU

19. Miami- Dolphins have their QB now… Now they need to make sure they keep him clean. Few different options for that include Morgan Moses, Cyrus Koundijo, JaWuan James. All 3 are similar in size, but Cyrus is most likely going to be most pro-ready with where he played.

THE PICK: Miami Dolphins select: Cyrus Kouandijo, OT- Alabama

20. Arizona- Cardinals need a QB. They have a few guys to select from, but without any other glaring needs outside of a pass rusher or maybe a sure handed TE, I think they take the risk now. Bridgewater vs Carr is probably the choice it comes down to and Arizona shocks a lot of people.

THE PICK: Arizona Cardinals select: Teddy Bridgewater, QB- Louisville

21. Green Bay Packers would love to add another LB to the mix and wont have to look far to get one staying in the region

THE PICK: Green Bay Packers select: Ryan Shazier, LB- Ohio State

22. Philadelphia- Losing Desean Jackson creates a hole for the Eagles here and while I think they will take a hard look at Kyle Fuller and Marqise Lee, I think they pull from Chip Kelly’s biggest rival on this pick

THE PICK: Philadelphia Eagles select: Brandin Cooks, WR- Oregon State

23. Kansas City- Trying to add some explosivness to the offense, the chiefs reach out for the exciting USC Wideout.

THE PICK: Kansas City Chiefs select: Marqise Lee, WR-USC

24. Cincinnati Bengals- They need a CB, and lucky enough they have two good options on the board.

THE PICK: Cincinnati Bengals select: Kyle Fuller, CB- Virginia Tech

25. San Diego- Two options here for SD. Either they take one of the last 1st round CB’s or they go get the Golden Domer Nose Tackle. I think they bring in another Golden Domer

THE PICK San Diego Chargers select: Louis Nix, DT- Notre Dame

26. Cleveland- Cleveland still needs a QB and while I think this wasn’t their first choice for a QB, it is the best option.

THE PICK: Cleveland Browns select: Derek Carr, QB- Fresno State

27. New Orleans grabs one of the last top tier CB’s on the board.

THE PICK: New Orleans Saints select Jason Verrett, CB- TCU

28. Carolina Panthers- Cody Latimer is flying up boards, but with some depth later, I don’t think you want to reach here when you have a pretty good OT sitting there.

THE PICK: Carolina Panthers select Morgan Moses, OT- Virginia

29. New England- The patriots love to have 70 picks and so a trade might be possible if someone slips here.. and someone has slipped—CJ Mosely. However, I think the Patriots really like the Minnesota DT.

THE PICK: New England- RaShede Hageman, DT- Minnesota

30. San Francisco- They see what Seattle does, and are going to make an aggressive move to get their own big/strong CB from the land of corn.

THE PICK: San Fransico- Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB- Nebraska

31. Denver- Denver is happy to stop the slide of the Tide linebacker and get a huge steal.

THE PICK:Denver- C.J. Mosley, ILB- Alabama

32. Seattle- Final pick of round 1 and they already stacked Seahawks go out and add another receiving option.

THE PICK: Seattle Seahawks-Jace Amaro, TE- Texas Tech

• Fire 1

iwkoqt.gif

Here is the easier version:

2014 Draft:

1. (TRADE)Atlanta Falcons select: Jadeveon Clowney, DE- South Carolina

2. St. Louis select: Greg Robinson, OT- Auburn

3. Jacksonville select: Johnny Manziel, QB- Texas A&M

4. Cleveland Browns select: Sammy Watkins, WR- Clemson

5. Oakland Raiders select: Khalil Mack, OLB- Buffalo

6. (trade)Houston Texans select: Blake Bortles, QB- Central Florida

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers select: Mike Evans, WR- Texas AM

8. (TRADE FROM MN)Dallas Cowboys select: Aaron Donald, DT- Pittsburgh

9. Buffalo Bills select: Jake Matthews, OT- Texas A&M

10. Detroit Lions select: Eric Ebron, TE- North Carolina

11. Tennessee Titans select Anthony Barr, OLB – UCLA

12. New York Giants select Zach Martin, OG- Notre Dame

13. St Louis Rams select Justin Gilbert, CB- Oklahoma State

14. Chicago Bears-Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, S- Alabama

15. Pittsburgh-Darqueze Dennard, CB- Michigan State

16. (Trade from Dal) Minnesota Vikings select: Calvin Pryor, S- Louisville

17. Baltimore Ravens select: Taylor Lewan, OT- Michigan

18. New York Jets select: Odell Beckham Jr., WR-LSU

19. Miami Dolphins select: Cyrus Kouandijo, OT- Alabama

20. Arizona Cardinals select: Teddy Bridgewater, QB- Louisville

21. Green Bay Packers select: Ryan Shazier, LB- Ohio State

22. Philadelphia Eagles select: Brandin Cooks, WR- Oregon State

23. Kansas City Chiefs select: Marqise Lee, WR-USC

24. Cincinnati Bengals select: Kyle Fuller, CB- Virginia Tech

25. San Diego Chargers select: Louis Nix, DT- Notre Dame

26. Cleveland Browns select: Derek Carr, QB- Fresno State

27. New Orleans Saints select Jason Verrett, CB- TCU

28. Carolina Panthers select Morgan Moses, OT- Virginia

29. New England- RaShede Hageman, DT- Minnesota

30. San Fransico- Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB- Nebraska

31. Denver- C.J. Mosley, ILB- Alabama

32. Seattle Seahawks-Jace Amaro, TE- Texas Tech

Passing up on Sammy Watkins and going with Blake Bortles in Jacksonville. Ooooh, man. I'm not sure I see that one working out. Bortles is largely potential and he needs time from what I've read. Isn't that what Gabbert was?

Did anyone ever think Gabbert really had that much potential? If he needs time, he's got all the time in the world and no pressure in Jacksonville.