2014 NFL Draft

Those 38 kids are now in a real tough place. Maybe make a practice squad, or go back to school and take out loans. If they had at least stayed in school they would have a degree to use for a job. Ameer looks pretty smart right now.

especially given how late running backs go.

I have a hard time understanding why an underclassmen would declare early, unless they were projected to go in the first four rounds. You leave yourself in such a tough position if you don't make it to the practice squad, and don't complete your degree. That free education is gone, your loans are coming at you, and things get real very quickly.

Personally, I'm not a fan of anyone leaving college early. Respect the institution, complete your degree.

I just heard on the radio that there were 100 underclassmen who declared for the draft and 62 were drafted. The guy on the radio claimed that as evidence that the kids are getting good advice. REALLY?

Would you say that?

I would say that if 38% of them didn't even get drafted that this is a pretty piss poor stat when you think those kids could have gone back to school for another year, worked longer towards their diploma while on scholarship and become better football players at the same time.

Absolutely. He talked to the agents that gave them the advice and they were 100% certain it was good.

But, on 38% of them, they were wrong.

Plus, I would like to know how many kids were told they would be in the first few rounds so they made the decision based on that when they were actually drafted late and could have greatly increased their earning and signing bonus by staying one more year.

The sarcasm was literally dripping off my post.

List of undrafteds per 247 (sorry for the formatting, that's on them):

DB Nick Addison - Bethune-Cookman, RB George Atkinson - Notre Dame, S Dion Bailey – USC, RB Kapri Bibbs - Colorado State, RB Brendan Bigelow – California, WR Chris Boyd – former Vanderbilt, WR Brandon Coleman – Rutgers, RB Isaiah Crowell - Alabama State, WR Austin Franklin - New Mexico State, DT Carlos Gray - North Carolina State, TE Xavier Grimble – USC, T Terrance Hackney - Bethune-Cookman, CB Vic Hampton - South Carolina, LB Adrian Hubbard – Alabama, CB Kameron Jackson – California, TE Nic Jacobs - McNeese State, DT Anthony Johnson – LSU, RB Henry Josey – Missouri, TE A.C. Leonard - Tennessee State, DB Albert Louis-Jean - Boston College, TE Colt Lyerla – former Oregon, DE Chris McCain – California, DT Viliami Moala – California, RB Adam Muema - San Diego State, TE Jake Murphy – Utah, CB Loucheiz Purifoy – Florida, DL Kelcy Quarles - South Carolina, RB Darrin Reaves – UAB, OL Antonio Richardson – Tennessee, CB Marcus Roberson – Florida, QB Brett Smith – Wyoming, RB Jerome Smith – Syracuse, WR Willie Snead - Ball State, RB John Spooney – Brown, WR Josh Stewart - Oklahoma State, DL George Uko – USC, FS Pierre Warren - Jacksonville State, RB James Wilder Jr. - Florida State

What's up at Bethune-Cookman? Makes me think some of these guys were done with school and read to move on with life but threw their name in the hat just in case.

One of two things, either he finished his degree in 4 rather than 5 years, or he was going to be ineligible for his senior season. Those would be the only two reasons for leaving early if you are not projected in the first 2 rounds.

I will never fault a guy who has a 1st round projection for leaving early, if they are smart with the money, they are set for life.

I have a hard time understanding why an underclassmen would declare early, unless they were projected to go in the first four rounds. You leave yourself in such a tough position if you don't make it to the practice squad, and don't complete your degree. That free education is gone, your loans are coming at you, and things get real very quickly.

Personally, I'm not a fan of anyone leaving college early. Respect the institution, complete your degree.

I just heard on the radio that there were 100 underclassmen who declared for the draft and 62 were drafted. The guy on the radio claimed that as evidence that the kids are getting good advice. REALLY?

Would you say that?

I would say that if 38% of them didn't even get drafted that this is a pretty piss poor stat when you think those kids could have gone back to school for another year, worked longer towards their diploma while on scholarship and become better football players at the same time.

Absolutely. He talked to the agents that gave them the advice and they were 100% certain it was good.

Lies, damn lies,

At least one player who left early did so because he was slipping on the depth chart