Good Idea or Bad Idea?

KC, I would be all over a lake house in South Carolina. I assume it gets hot as balls in the summer time, and you will be able to use it for a good number of months during the year.

Yep. April through October or so. Plan on building a fire pit for those fall months as well.

Columbia's Tagline is "Famously Hot" because of the heat plus 90+% humidity.

I'd advise against it unless you can live off your savings for 10 years. Be frugal now. Then when your finances are such that you don't have to ask this question, that's when you can afford it. Also this might not be a financial question and instead a question about living so close to the parents. In that case do it if you have any kids below 16. If not, you don't want to live that close to the folks. Proximity is good when the kids are little. Babysitting and the kids genuinely like their grandparents. Once they're older, they lose interest in all authority figures.

I'd advise against it unless you can live off your savings for 10 years. Be frugal now. Then when your finances are such that you don't have to ask this question, that's when you can afford it. Also this might not be a financial question and instead a question about living so close to the parents. In that case do it if you have any kids below 16. If not, you don't want to live that close to the folks. Proximity is good when the kids are little. Babysitting and the kids genuinely like their grandparents. Once they're older, they lose interest in all authority figures.

Edit: nvm. I see that this isn't a vacation home and is instead your only home.

Can you see yourself living there longer than 4-5 years if you have issues selling it? Is it a ski lake or wake only?

Absolutely. The goal is to keep it for family use and only sell if we have to.

Not sure what ski lake or wake only means, but it's pretty wide open for all watersports.

Here's a link about the lake: http://www.lakemurraycountry.com/

OK..if you don't buy it...I am.

I may have just found my retirement community.

• Fire 1