Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Left this part out - Also selling our current home and getting rid of our current mortgage payment to put that towards savings as well. We try to be responsible in order to leave Griff with a good situation once we're dead.

Wow. Great thinking. Don't make it TOO nice of a situation or he may start to get ideas... :P

Won't the "profit" you make from selling your home get crushed by taxes if it is not re-invested in another home? Or am I totally off on that...

Either way, I love the idea

Left this part out - Also selling our current home and getting rid of our current mortgage payment to put that towards savings as well. We try to be responsible in order to leave Griff with a good situation once we're dead.

Wow. Great thinking. Don't make it TOO nice of a situation or he may start to get ideas... :P

Won't the "profit" you make from selling your home get crushed by taxes if it is not re-invested in another home? Or am I totally off on that...

I bought my house right before the housing crash and the value of the home dropped. We may get a few thousand bucks off of equity, but just getting rid of the payment and being able to stow away that $1000 per month is more worthwhile.

Instead of savings, profit could go towards the down payment or improvements to the property. Wouldn't have IMMEDIATE savings, but the reduced mortgage per month could be stowed away without taking the tax hit.

• Fire 1

I was fortunate enough to have parents that own a lakehouse growing up and I've had some of the best times of my life out there. I would highly recommend purchasing this, especially from the monetary standpoint that you mentioned.

As to Teach's question, you have to have a $250,000 gain or more if you're single and a $500,000 gain or more if you're married to pay capital gains taxes on the sale of a home, so I think you'll be alright :lol:

• Fire 1

What's the dimensions of the lot? Or did I miss that?

Not sure of the full dimensions, but it's a 1/3 acre lot - 80' at its widest. Pretty narrow but more than enough room to build a small cottage. It's bigger than my current lot, but it's a rectangle instead of triangle (typical down here to maximize lake lots).

Not sure of the full dimensions, but it's a 1/3 acre lot - 80' at its widest. Pretty narrow but more than enough room to build a small cottage. It's bigger than my current lot, but it's a rectangle instead of triangle (typical down here to maximize lake lots).

Should be about 181' by 80'

That is pretty narrow

Should be about 181' by 80'

That is pretty narrow

Yeah, it is. No way to build a mansion out there.

I am just curious where this is? Are you in a smaller city in Central/Western Nebraska? If you are, you might as well go live on the lake, because there is really nothing keeping you "in the city". If your drive gets longer by 5-10 minutes, that's nothing.

500px-flag-map_of_south_carolina-svg.png

This. Otherwise I wouldn't tell you guys about it til I close. Otherwise, y'all may be trying to steal it from me.