Who wins 2016 Presidency?

McCain got blasted for his age during the 2008 race. Hillary is only a couple years younger, so that could be a possible issue as well.

Hillary Clinton is ELEVEN years younger than John McCain. McCain is past the US male life expectancy now, while Clinton wouldn't even get close to the US female life expectancy during a potential Presidential term.

Yeah, it's just that she looks like a gremlin, so she just appears older.

Reagan was a leader; he was also a moron when it came to spending and economics and the country will take decades to recover

This is it. He was a leader. I believe that is what the office requires more than anything. Congress is supposed to be in control of spending and economic policy, the President is supposed to lead and be Presdential. Where are those guys/gals at nowadays?

And so I suppose you credit Congress with passing Obamacare? Why is it called Obamacare and not CongressCare? The President has a lot of power over the direction that his party takes in Congress and general direction of policy. Not too much power, but the president often is able to convince his members of congress to draft and pass legislation that he feels is important.

Agreed, the President does have a lot of power over the direction his party takes but the good ones also have a lot of influence with the other party. Right or wrong, the President will be closely tied to what the congress does and vice versa. Although, Obama is stretching the bounds of what a President is directly responsible for. Seems he has done plenty of things by decree rather than the more commonly acceptable method of bills working their way through the house and senate.

And to be clear, I do NOT credit Congress with passing Obamacare- I BLAME them for passing it along with that legislation's namesake.

Although, Obama is stretching the bounds of what a President is directly responsible for. Seems he has done plenty of things by decree rather than the more commonly acceptable method of bills working their way through the house and senate.

You sure about that?

1.29.14.2.jpg?itok=X1brpeha

Although, Obama is stretching the bounds of what a President is directly responsible for. Seems he has done plenty of things by decree rather than the more commonly acceptable method of bills working their way through the house and senate.

You sure about that?

1.29.14.2.jpg?itok=X1brpeha

Well No, not if you put it that way, with facts and stuff. :B) Damnit!

• Fire 1

Pssst. Reagan would be driven out of the current Republican Party.

Put aside the nostalgia for a moment and actually look at his record. No way in hell could he win the GOP nomination.

JFK wouldn't recognize his party either.

The difference is that JFK's corpse isn't trotted out every 30 seconds to rally the base.

• Fire 1

The thought of Hillary in office makes me a little ill.

Not that I have someone in mind at this point that I would vote for but she is not a leader and especially for the most powerful Country in the World {or once was} depending upon your beliefs!

I have to say I agree with JJ about Reagan but one can't dismiss how well things were (economics) with Bill Clinton in office.

You sure about that?

Well No, not if you put it that way, with facts and stuff. :B) Damnit!

FDR looks like a crazy dictator. Although I suppose wartime had some great demands

Put aside the nostalgia for a moment and actually look at his record. No way in hell could he win the GOP nomination.

The difference is that JFK's corpse isn't trotted out every 30 seconds to rally the base.

I believe JJ said that JFK was a great leader also. That is why I brought him up.

Who wins 2016 Presidency?

Elizabeth Warren

She won't run if Clinton does though.

And either one of them beats the GOP candidate. Simply from the fact that you have someone who either follows Romney's plan, and goes far right during the primary and tries to move back more center for the General, which does not work as video exists. Or it will be a rightwing ideologue who will alienate the majority of the electorate.

Sorry Zoogs, I disagree. We've been short changed in the office of the Presidency for as long as I can remember. Since I've been alive, there have only been two worth a sh#t- Reagan and Kennedy. All others have been some degree of suckiness. I won't say it is all the individuals fault but rather that our system just doesn't work anymore. Things are too polarized and politicized to function properly. I don't see things improving without some radical changes and I believe our citizenry is too apathetic to drive the changes that need to be made. Sure it's a tough job, but the clowns we've been electing to the position aren't helping things. If the last ten Presidents are truly the best and brightest we can get to run, Lord help us.

Sincere question: what makes you say that Reagan was a good president?

I liked him and he was able to bring people together and get things accomplished. He was instrumental in the fall of the iron curtain, people around the globe were hesitant to f#*k with us, and he laid the ground work for one of the greatest economic expansions in our history. I won't say every single thing he did was good or good for us but there was a feeling (for me anyway) that, no mater what came up, Ronnie would have our back and wouldn't screw the pooch. A lot of it was simply a feeling of confidence and being at ease. IMO, every other President since I have been alive has been lacking, usually severely, in some way. I was too young to really have a grasp on what Kennedy or Johnson were doing at the time, and even Nixon for that matter. But, in hindsight, I think Kennedy was decent and even certain aspects (foreign policy) of Nixon were good. Other than that, we have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel for inhabitants of the oval office. I guess it's somewhat understandable, who in their right mind would sign up for that level of scrutiny anymore? A person has to have serious character flaws to even consider running for the office in this day and age.

Reagans economic policy laid the foundation for our crippling national debt.

The USSR was crumbling before he took office.

http://consortiumnews.com/2014/02/06/ronald-reagan-worst-president-ever-2/

I believe JJ said that JFK was a great leader also. That is why I brought him up.

But the point is that the party that pretends to be the party of Reagan isn't really anymore. That's probably somewhat evidenced by the fact that they have to skip a couple of their own presidents to get to one who is worth mythologizing.

You could make a similar argument about JFK if you wanted . . . but the DNC is pretty happy with their recent presidents . . . to the point that they don't need to go all the way back to JFK. (Not to mention that I'd argue that JFK wasn't all that great . . . and wouldn't be as memorable as he is if not for being assassinated while young.)