Most Indispensable Huskers 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/102093/most-indispensable-players-nebraska-3

Their choices were Randy Gregory and Kenny Bell.

I have to say Tommy Armstrong because if he goes down we have no idea what the drop off would be or how the offense would function.

On defense I'd have to go with Charles Jackson because the nickel back is such an important piece in the Pelini defense, if he goes down and the back up isn't up to par then I think it might be scary in the secondary.

Indispensable? Seems like it would depend on how important the position is, and who we have behind the guy. I don't think Rittenberg did that. I wouldn't go with either Kenny Bell or Randy Gregory because we have capable guys behind them who could step up. I think. Sure, there would be a drop-off in talent. But it wouldn't kill us.

I'd say Vincent Valentine and Tommy Armstrong. Not sure what we have behind them that would work out for us.

Gregory changes the entire defensive approach IMO. Without an elite pass rusher, Bo's defenses become "patty cake" and simplistic. I like the aggressiveness and complex blitzes.

On offense, no doubt it's Abdullah. He runs, catches passes, and picks up blocks better than any back on this team thus far. Without Abdullah last season where would this team be? I can't even fathom why any sports writer would say otherwise. This team can survive without Kenny Bell. Hell they may strive without him.

Indispensable? Seems like it would depend on how important the position is, and who we have behind the guy. I don't think Rittenberg did that. I wouldn't go with either Kenny Bell or Randy Gregory because we have capable guys behind them who could step up. I think. Sure, there would be a drop-off in talent. But it wouldn't kill us.

I'd say Vincent Valentine and Tommy Armstrong. Not sure what we have behind them that would work out for us.

I really like your pick in Valentine. Although I think we have some capable guys at DT behind VV, I think Valentine is going to prove to be an unstoppable force. If you watched him towards the end of last season, he was becoming a one man wrecking crew. Teams will be forced to either double team him, or deal with Gregory on the end. Damn this defense could be exciting.

I guess I would dispute that. We are much deeper at DT then at DE. To be honest, not sure we have another DE on the roster that is anything "like" RG44.

I think you're right about Bell, but I'd probably flip flop Gregory and Valentine. I think the drop off would be greater behind Gregory. As evidenced by the fact that we've been getting Collins reps at DE, probably because have very little quality depth there, and probably decent depth at DT. Otherwise that little experiment wouldn't make any sense.

I think you're right about Bell, but I'd probably flip flop Gregory and Valentine. I think the drop off would be greater behind Gregory. As evidenced by the fact that we've been getting Collins reps at DE, probably because have very little quality depth there, and probably decent depth at DT. Otherwise that little experiment wouldn't make any sense.

Yeah, I guess without weiner boy Moss, I'm not sure who would fill in for Gregory. As for Bell, he's about my favorite player on the team. But we could replace him.

Pretty sure Cross would do just fine taking over for Ameer, I'd be a lot more worried about quarterback or left tackle.

I have to disagree here too. I think it'd be much harder to replace an All-American/heisman contender than it would be to replace a guy who's never made a start at NU (Lewis is who I am assuming you have at LT) and a QB with a 50% completion percentage. Not that I don't think Lewis/Armstrong are key players and will get better... I think Lewis will be a major stud for us, but as of right now I think they are more dispensable then Ameer.

I have questions about Imani's ability to carry a heavy work load. Between him and Newby, though, I think we're in pretty good shape behind Ameer. Even if he is considered a Heisman contender.

If Fyfe is still the #2 QB during the season (or even neck and neck with Stanton), there's probably legitimate concern concerning QB depth.