Our Own Moniker

I agree with FF. I can understand why some don't want to address this subject. My reason for it was exactly why FF (and many others , I'm sure) can't stand the Jim Rose description. It's "corny", pardon the pun.

If we, the posters, can come to an agreement, I, for one, will promote it and try to get it to catch on. If the in-state media gets ahold of something classy, maybe it will catch on and avoid the whole "corny" picture.

The Top 4 seem to be Red Storm, Red Thunder, Haymaker and Red Swarm. Which would sound good in the same sentence with Black Shirts?

I agree with FF. I can understand why some don't want to address this subject. My reason for it was exactly why FF (and many others , I'm sure) can't stand the Jim Rose description. It's "corny", pardon the pun.

If we, the posters, can come to an agreement, I, for one, will promote it and try to get it to catch on. If the in-state media gets ahold of something classy, maybe it will catch on and avoid the whole "corny" picture.

The Top 4 seem to be Red Storm, Red Thunder, Haymaker and Red Swarm. Which would sound good in the same sentence with Black Shirts?

Go for it :thumbs

AR Husker Fan:

You are correct. St John's Univ is the Red Storm. Thanks for alerting us to that.

The latest list of repliers would be:

1) Red Swarm

2) Red Thunder

3) Haymaker

4) MidWest Coast

How about a consensus? If you were addressing the national media, what would you want to name our offense if a reporter asked?

AR Husker Fan:

You are correct. St John's Univ is the Red Storm. Thanks for alerting us to that.

The latest list of repliers would be:

1) Red Swarm

2) Red Thunder

3) Haymaker

4) MidWest Coast

How about a consensus? If you were addressing the national media, what would you want to name our offense if a reporter asked?

I actually like "The Haymaker" not quite as cliche' sounding as the others. Has a little "widowmaker " type sound and feel to it. Maybe start a new poll so people could vote a little easier.

I'm in favor of ending this thread with a consensus on the most popular moniker. Of the four mentioned above, which do you prefer as a tag for our offense in the national media? Haymaker has a little boxing feel, but also has that Nebraska farmer knockout theme! red Thunder is certainly reperesentative of the weather and violence it brings. Red Swqasrm could mean that 11 guys are overwhelming any defense. MidWest Coast is just a change to the traditional WCO tag.

I encourage all of you to end this now with your selection. Then I'll announce the most popular and we'll go from there. Any suggestions on where I should start the promotion of the final selection?

I think if your going to have a nickname for the offense, it has to fit the style of the offense.

Anything coast just doesn't seem to fit; corn coast maybe if you buy into the sea of corn fields. But I agree, I think it sounds to "Corny". And Midwest is far to generic. People here in Ohio think they are the midwest.

I'm not sure anybody who doesn't come from farm country would get HayMaker.

Red Thunder makes me think of the nicknames Thunder and Lightning often used for pairs of running backs (i.e. Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne with the Giants a few years back). Maybe Cody and Lucky will become a Thunder and Lightning backfied for NU but that's only a part of the offense. And the Thunder part of that name refers to the Big Heavy Pounder that probably fits more with the old power running game than the quick strike passing game. Red lightning might be closer.