OWH: Ranking B1G OOC Games

3. Miami (Florida) at Nebraska: After the Huskers played so many bowl games right in the Hurricanes’ backyard, it’ll be nice to see that “U” helmet in Memorial Stadium.

17. Nebraska at Fresno State: There isn’t anything about this game the Huskers will like. Snakepit stadium, night game, scorching heat. Fresno hasn’t lost at home since 2011.
30. Florida Atlantic at Nebraska: We’ll never get that Pelini Bro Bowl. Given how it went down in Boca Raton, Carl will be giving Bo a full, robust scouting report, right?
54. McNeese State at Nebraska: May this be the last FCS opponent the Huskers ever schedule.

Link

Around 7 p.m. on Sept. 6, raise a toast to the Big Ten being, for at least a moment, the talk of college football, and doing it through something previously foreign to the league for many years: strong nonconference scheduling.

When Ohio State kicks off against Virginia Tech that evening, it’ll be the third league team simultaneously engaged in a high-profile nonconference tilt. Michigan will be visiting Notre Dame. Michigan State, the 2014 Big Ten champ, will be battling at Pac-12 juggernaut Oregon.
It’s the centerpiece of a robust September for the league. Real foes. Tough road games. Actual risk. Relevance. More than a few token segments on ESPN’s “College GameDay” program. By coincidence, Sept. 6 is a fall-on-your-face embarrassment for SEC schedules — the best game is Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt — so the Big Ten will have a big stage.

OWH

I could see OSU losing to VT...I see LSU beating the hell out of Wisconsin (this line is at -4.5 right now!!) and I could see them pounding them where it beats up Wisconsin for the rest of the year.

I do not see MSU winning vs Oregon but its just because there is a chance that they might have to scored 4TDs and I dont see that happening.

I could see OSU losing to VT...I see LSU beating the hell out of Wisconsin (this line is at -4.5 right now!!) and I could see them pounding them where it beats up Wisconsin for the rest of the year.

I do not see MSU winning vs Oregon but its just because there is a chance that they might have to scored 4TDs and I dont see that happening.

We're 6 months removed from Iowa giving them a run for the money. I ask for your logic.

Ole Miss - Vandy will probably be better than all 3 of those games

Ole Miss and zzzz... Vandy? That's a struggle to even type out, only game that could be worse would be Miss State vs. Vandy. Three programs that are nothing without their conference affiliation. Ofcourse it could be a good game, just no one cares about it... like indiana vs. illinois with a lot less offense.

• Fire 1

We're 6 months removed from Iowa giving them a run for the money. I ask for your logic.

Sure...that game for Iowa was a HUGE game...that game for LSU was a "lets not get hurt, most of us are going to the NFL" game.

Iowa was one lucky KO return that got them down to the 4 yard line from losing that game 21-7...

LSU reloads each year

The ACC and SEC are just too good. /sarcasm

As good as these games are for our conference, I see the B1G going 1-2 in these games. The narrative will just be 'OSU beats a VT team that has been down for the last few seasons' and 'B1G Title Contenders lose to nations elite'. It'll be spun to make the conference look bad no matter what.

I really hope the league shows up in those games though, going 3-0 would leave the media no choice but to give the conference some credit.

I really hope the league shows up in those games though, going 3-0 would leave the media no choice but to give the conference some credit.

you really think the media wants to portray the big 10 negatively? how do you suppose the big 10 should be portrayed given their recent bowl history?

• Fire 1

Sure...that game for Iowa was a HUGE game...that game for LSU was a "lets not get hurt, most of us are going to the NFL" game.

Iowa was one lucky KO return that got them down to the 4 yard line from losing that game 21-7...

LSU reloads each year

If they have that attitude or the bowl game, then they have that attitude for probably the whole season. Hence, Wiscy has a chance.

LSU reloads each year

If they have that attitude or the bowl game, then they have that attitude for probably the whole season. Hence, Wiscy has a chance.

Yeah, maybe, but I don't think so. They usually play really well at the start of the year in their big non-conference games

• Fire 1

you really think the media wants to portray the big 10 negatively? how do you suppose the big 10 should be portrayed given their recent bowl history?

I certainly think the media (ESPN mostly) likes to bring up the relative weakness of the conference when given the chance, warranted and unwarranted. If Michigan or Ohio State had Florida's season, with a loss to an FCS school, I think it would've been mentioned quite a bit more.

As for the Big 10's bowl season, it is by far the most difficult in the country. We play what are essentially road games against the countries best teams (SEC schools in SEC country, the Rose Bowl in the PAC-12s back yard, etc). In my opinion, a .500 bowl record for our conference in bowl season should be considered great. I would also say that if Nebraska can go .500 in a given decade with the B1G's bowl slate, I'd consider that a victory as well.