Norfolk 4th of July Parade

float.jpg

Here's a better view of it, in case it is of interest to anyone.

btw, That is EXACTLY the same expression I have when I visit the outhouse after eating five Taco John's bean burritos with hot sauce. :lol:

You know Taco John ingredients was Alpo dog meat ?? I'm serious. Well, used to be. Yummy !!

Don't really care. I think that these people have the same right to look like a jackass as anyone else has.

Exactly. And I have the right to call them ignorant, tasteless, attention-whoring morons. Thanks, first amendment!

Seriously, what a joke. Take a day where we're supposed to celebrate America and turn it into silly, moronic, attacking "politics" ...if this is what politics has boiled down to these days

• Fire 1

Ahh Norfolk! The taint of Nebraska. Taint Omaha, taint Lincoln. Nothing to add other than Norfolk sucks butt!

The only less surprising locale for this to have come out of would have been Fremont.

I literally thought it was Fremont until yesterday. How, I don't know, I read the story in the paper as it developed every day. It just seemed like a very Fremont thing to do.

This isn't overkill at all....

Representatives of the NAACP and the U.S.Department of Justice met with Norfolk Mayor Sue Fuchtman Thursday to talk about a controversial float in the Fourth of July parade.

:blink:

Yeah. That's ridiculous. The DoJ? Really?

Unrelated, but from your link:

Dale Remmich of rural Norfolk made the float and has said the mannequin depicted him, not President Barack Obama. Remmich has said he made the float to represent his frustration with the president’s management of the Veterans Affairs Department.

He did not intend for the float to make a racial statement, he said.

“I’ve got my bibs on, my walker, I’m covering my ears and I’m turning a bit green. I intended it to look like a zombie who has had enough,” Remmich said.

That's weird. Not sure that I believe him.

This isn't overkill at all....

Representatives of the NAACP and the U.S.Department of Justice met with Norfolk Mayor Sue Fuchtman Thursday to talk about a controversial float in the Fourth of July parade.

:blink:

Yeah. That's ridiculous. The DoJ? Really?

Unrelated, but from your link:

Dale Remmich of rural Norfolk made the float and has said the mannequin depicted him, not President Barack Obama. Remmich has said he made the float to represent his frustration with the president’s management of the Veterans Affairs Department.

He did not intend for the float to make a racial statement, he said.

“I’ve got my bibs on, my walker, I’m covering my ears and I’m turning a bit green. I intended it to look like a zombie who has had enough,” Remmich said.

That's weird. Not sure that I believe him.

Who else has bibs and wears a walker that it would depict?

I'm more confused about what the VA has to do with a presidential library/outhouse. (Then again, perhaps the entirety of the float is a bit of a hint as to this gentleman's intellectual gifts.)

Does he use a walker? If so, it's impressive that he made a parade float.

I'm more confused about what the VA has to do with a presidential library/outhouse. (Then again, perhaps the entirety of the float is a bit of a hint as to this gentleman's intellectual gifts.)

One of my more liberal/social justice-oriented friends told me that the float was similar to an Obama-as-a-sharecropper image that's been making the rounds in southern and white supremacist circles for years. I didn't so much as lift a finger to research whether that's true or not, but if so, it could explain some of the bizarreness we're seeing here: midwesterner unfamiliar with the particulars of this nation's racial issues unintentionally adopts racially charged imagery (if indeed the idea is Obama in overalls, that's an issue) and either misinterprets who the mannequin is supposed to be or horrified at what he's unleashed, backtracks as quickly as he can.

One of my more liberal/social justice-oriented friends told me that the float was similar to an Obama-as-a-sharecropper image that's been making the rounds in southern and white supremacist circles for years. I didn't so much as lift a finger to research whether that's true or not, but if so, it could explain some of the bizarreness we're seeing here: midwesterner unfamiliar with the particulars of this nation's racial issues unintentionally adopts racially charged imagery (if indeed the idea is Obama in overalls, that's an issue) and either misinterprets who the mannequin is supposed to be or horrified at what he's unleashed, backtracks as quickly as he can.

That would make more sense.

I think the bolded part is the only thing that needs to be thought of here and move on.

Ahh Norfolk! The taint of Nebraska. Taint Omaha, taint Lincoln. Nothing to add other than Norfolk sucks butt!

Hey now, Johnny Carson was raised and graduated from Norfolk High School.

I also had trouble with pronunciation; "Norfork"........ is still used by many Nebraskans.

Trivia:

The original name of the colony was a variant of "North Fork". The name was submitted to federal postal authorities, and at some point (bureaucracy typo error?) was transmuted to "Norfolk". - wiki source