Norfolk 4th of July Parade

Don't really care. I think that these people have the same right to look like a jackass as anyone else has.

Just like this political cartoonist a few years back

post-1055-0-67713100-1404837039_thumb.jpg

This is sadly the politics of today. Not exclusive to either party.

• Fire 1

Why are people labeling this racist? I don't think there's any stereotype of black people using outhouses. What if it had been a float of Obama dressed as an Eskimo standing next to an igloo. Would that have been racist?

If anything, it's just plain stupid and mildly disrespectful. But that's okay. Our constitution guarantees us the right to make stupid, disrespectful statements. :lol:

float.jpg

Here's a better view of it, in case it is of interest to anyone.

btw, That is EXACTLY the same expression I have when I visit the outhouse after eating five Taco John's bean burritos with hot sauce. :lol:

Don't really care. I think that these people have the same right to look like a jackass as anyone else has.

Just like this political cartoonist a few years back

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is sadly the politics of today. Not exclusive to either party.

Exactly. Race too. In other words, simply a cartoon, not racial thing at all IMO. Settle down Glory Kathurima, an immigrant from Kenya who lives in Norfolk. "I'm angry and I'm scared. The float was not just political; this was absolutely a racial statement" Glory said.

BTW, Obama is half white.

Why are people labeling this racist? I don't think there's any stereotype of black people using outhouses. What if it had been a float of Obama dressed as an Eskimo standing next to an igloo. Would that have been racist?

If anything, it's just plain stupid and mildly disrespectful. But that's okay. Our constitution guarantees us the right to make stupid, disrespectful statements. :lol:

Are you sure? How about KKK float? It's okay?

Are you sure? How about KKK float? It's okay?

I don't agree with the KKK's agenda at all. But our constitution affords them the same 1st amendment free speech rights as anyone else. Here's a pretty good article on that very topic:

ACLU-EM Defends KKK's Right to Free Speech

<snip>

“Defending the rights of groups that the government tries to censor because of their viewpoints is at the heart of what the First Amendment and the ACLU stand for, even when the viewpoints are not popular,” says Brenda L. Jones, executive director of the ACLU-EM. “If we don’t protect the free speech rights of all, we risk having the government arbitrarily decide what is, or is not, acceptable speech.” LINK

I know different thread but you ever visit Eisenhower Presidential Library Center in small Abilene Kansas? Myself, two times, 1985 and 1990; eerie because very few people around, kinda like ghost town. Plus both times, moderate fog and misty outside. Ike's grave was inside a small chapel; ghostly like and semi-dark, again no people at all inside the chapel except me. Used to be wide open, no locks even Ike's grave site chapel, self-tours and apparently no security guys around and I think no surveillance cameras ..... weird. I'm surprised no graffiti in Eisenhower gravestone plaque. Probably changed in dangerous present world. Well at least better than Obama's outhouse Presidential Library ;) .

127KsAbileneA.jpg

no people

chapel_interior_3_9_04.jpg graves ............ no living people, all ghosts running around ;>)

05eisenhower5.JPG

no people

130305-R-FR000-004.JPG no people

... and empty parking lot !