Elizabeth Warren's 11 Commandments for Progressives

I honestly thought that the conservatives here would most object to #10 "We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform." but the fast-food one really took the cake

It's just the one that was first brought up.

#10 is a perfect example of a statement that really doesn't say anything. OK.....immigration built the country.....gee....really??? Gosh darn it.....I didn't know that. I thought were all native Americans.....how does that translate into reform?

I don't know of anyone in the political field in Washington that is completely 100% against immigration. And, I honestly don't know of any who doesn't agree that some changes need to be made. And...no...by my statements, I'm not supporting either side. Just saying everyone understands we have a mess.

• Fire 2

I honestly thought that the conservatives here would most object to #10 "We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform." but the fast-food one really took the cake

Yeah, sorry I kinda derailed the thread. The immigration one was another issue where I don't necessarily object to what she said, but I'd almost certainly disagree with the policies she'd put forth to realize that one sentence statement. Immigration is an important part of this country's legacy and present reality. We do need immigration reform. I strongly suspect any reform plan she might put out would be far too generous to people here illegally and far too lax on prevention measures for my liking, but until she says/does something to disagree with, that's kind of hard to address.

If it helps, I'm sure I would have all kinds of problems with how the dems actually approached all these issues. But, the list at face value looks pretty good to me. The devil in the details pic that somebody posted earlier is most appropriate.

If it helps, I'm sure I would have all kinds of problems with how the dems actually approached all these issues. But, the list at face value looks pretty good to me. The devil in the details pic that somebody posted earlier is most appropriate.

It's weird then that the GOP blatantly stands against many of these, details or no. Dems aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and tackle the difficult issues.

It's weird then that the GOP blatantly stands against many of these, details or no. Dems aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and tackle the difficult issues.

If you haven't noticed, lately the GOP is a bunch of f'ing idiots. There is nobody currently representing what I feel is a normal, common sense conservative view point. I'm pretty much functioning as an independent right now. My old party has disappeared but I am nowhere near ready to embrace the looney left either.

• Fire 1

Why is this "weird"? Politicians try to serve their constituents. One constituent group cares about certain issues and the other cares about other issues. The political parties' respective priorities reflect these preferences.

Here is the conservative one since you are wondering.

1. Protect the Constitution

Require each bill to identify the specific provision of the Constitution that gives Congress the power to do what the bill says.
2. Reject the EPA’s Overreach
Stop costly new regulations that would increase unemployment, raise consumer prices, and weaken the nation’s global competitiveness with virtually no impact on global temperatures.
3. Demand a Balanced Budget
Begin the Constitutional amendment process to require a balanced budget with a two-thirds majority needed for any tax hike.
4. Enact Fundamental Tax Reform
Adopt a simpler, flatter, and fairer tax system by scrapping the internal revenue code and replacing it with one that is easily understandable. Eliminate the death tax and cut the capital gains tax.
5. Restore Fiscal Responsibility & Constitutionally Limited Government in Washington
Execute a full independent audit of federal agencies and programs. Assess their Constitutionality, and identify duplication, waste, ineffectiveness. Determine which agencies and programs are better left to the states or local authorities to reform or eliminate, and restore limited government consistent with the US Constitution.
6. End Runaway Government Spending
Impose a statutory cap limiting the annual growth in total federal spending that balances the budget within 10 years.
7. Defund, Repeal, & Replace Government-run Health Care
Defund, repeal and replace the recently passed government-run health care with a system that actually makes health care and insurance more affordable by enabling a competitive, open, and transparent free-market health care and health insurance system that isn’t restricted by state boundaries.
8. Pass an ‘All-of-the-Above” Energy Policy
Authorize the exploration of proven energy reserves to reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources from unstable countries and reduce regulatory barriers to all other forms of energy creation, lowering prices and creating competition and jobs.
9. Stop the Pork
End all earmarks.
10. Protect American’s Privacy
Protect Americans’ privacy, including data and any other records from government intrusion by prohibiting and criminally punishing any private or political use of data gained or distributed by government officials.
11. Stop Unconstitutional Executive Branch Power
Develop a plan to sunset federal regulations and limit the Executive Branch’s power, which has grown substantially over the past decade.

http://contractfromamerica.org/

If you haven't noticed, lately the GOP is a bunch of f'ing idiots. There is nobody currently representing what I feel is a normal, common sense conservative view point. I'm pretty much functioning as an independent right now. My old party has disappeared but I am nowhere near ready to embrace the looney left either.

That's more or less where I am. I'm still registered as a Republican as a matter of convenience in Nebraska, but their performance as the opposition the last 6 years leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. No unifying ideology, other than trying to sink Obama at all costs, collateral damage to the country be damned. Contrary to typical talking points, I don't think it's extremism on the part of the GOP, it's the lack of any core apart from trying to win elections, in fact I'd argue their intransigence is a sign of lack of confidence in their own ideas more than anything else. This isn't to say I'm going to up and join the Democrats, which are little more than a Christmas tree of political client groups, but at least they tried to govern.

The GOP needs to reappraise what they're about as a party. Their soul searching thing after the 2012 was basically "we're losing x, x, and x groups, how can we win them back?" Wrong approach for the country and the party. Electorates reward good governance. Want to win the midwest? Maybe talk to Governors Brandstad, Walker, Snyder, and Kasich - all 2010-class governors in midwest purple to light blue states, all favored for re-election in November. Worried about Hispanics in the Southwest? Talk to Governors Sandoval and Martinez about their shoo-in re-election bids in Nevada and New Mexico. The GOP has a lot of political talent, and a lot of successful governance to look at and build on....but none of it is in evidence in Washington. Step One: nominate one of the people I listed above for the White House in 2016.

• Fire 1

Man I respect the hell out of you for this statement. I fully understand that plenty of Republican voters out there are completely reasonable but are stuck with either supporting their side which has gone full crazy, or supporting the other side. I pretty much think that John McCain is the only visible and reasonable GOP party leader there is left. Everyone else has had to resort to all sorts of craziness in order to beat the Tea Party in primaries.

• Fire 1

Amen brother!!!!